cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tires and ride

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I have noticed that wheels are getting bigger on new cars with 20 inch not uncommon. I did some research and the general consensus is the larger wheels actually impact ride to the negative however the new thinner tires help to make up for it. That has lead me to the question about tires. Are there certain brands of RV tires that have a better ride? I have 19.5 on a 2012 Winnebago Vista 30T is that is important. I run at 80 lbs per weight-could run lower on the front.
17 REPLIES 17

jcthorne
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my Goodyear G670RV tires (after the 2nd blow out) with Bridgestones. MUCH better ride quality, MUCH quieter and better handling. They were also significantly heavier to lift, but doubt that matters much on a 22,000 lbs vehicle.
2008 Damon 3575 (38ft, forward kitchen)on Ford 22k chassis

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
wny_pat wrote:
Gjac wrote:
wny_pat wrote:
Gjac wrote:
I was also noticing that the newer cars came with larger rims but lower profile tires. I would rather have larger rims with a higher aspect ratio tire to improve the ground clearance for the towed. Most salesmen did not know some said it would hurt the mpg.
But you do get a choice which determines which type tires you end up with. Buu the bottom of the line model and get 15" inch ordinary tires and rims, or buy the top of the line model, the SES or something along that line, and get the 19" low profile tires that ride like a lumber wagon. My last two new cars were the base models. Those 15" ordinary tires are much cheaper and last longer than the 19" low profile.
What I have found the bottom of the line is where the manual transmissions are also and the smaller rims like you said. These are what I have been looking at because you can generally tow these 4 wheels down. What I can't find is a manual tow car with larger rim and higher aspect ratio for better ground clearance.
But those low profile tires on the larger rims don't give you any better ground clearance.
What I was hoping to find was a larger rim with the higher aspect ratio tire (thicker tire)not the low profile tire.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I vote for the Michelin ride too. I have limited experience with MH tires though.
The GY670s have a stiffer sidewall and more Ozone and light protection in the compound and are good to go for 10 years supposedly. The Michelins are 5 years. Mine are made with orange oil. The idea being the decompose friendlier to the environment? Hope they don't pop in five years. 🙂

glen68
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
I was also trying to learn if there is a brand that seems to ride better in the 19.5. I know when you buy auto tires you get all kinds of different types like rain and snow, highway or comfort. I currently have the OEM standard and am ok with the Continental but just wondered if anyone has changed out tires and noticed a difference in comfort. My ride is currently great.

My mh came with Goodyear G670 645/70/19.5 load range F. I replaced them with Michelin XRV same size and load range. The Michelin tires give a softer, smoother ride. The mh handled better with the Goodyear tires.

Glen
2015 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2011 Honda CRV

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
I was also trying to learn if there is a brand that seems to ride better in the 19.5. I know when you buy auto tires you get all kinds of different types like rain and snow, highway or comfort. I currently have the OEM standard and am ok with the Continental but just wondered if anyone has changed out tires and noticed a difference in comfort. My ride is currently great.
Only two manufacturers market RV tires with softer sidewalls for a better ride. Michelin and Goodyear. Myself, I prefer a stronger sidewall for a bit better handling, sacrificing that softer ride.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
wny_pat wrote:
Gjac wrote:
I was also noticing that the newer cars came with larger rims but lower profile tires. I would rather have larger rims with a higher aspect ratio tire to improve the ground clearance for the towed. Most salesmen did not know some said it would hurt the mpg.
But you do get a choice which determines which type tires you end up with. Buu the bottom of the line model and get 15" inch ordinary tires and rims, or buy the top of the line model, the SES or something along that line, and get the 19" low profile tires that ride like a lumber wagon. My last two new cars were the base models. Those 15" ordinary tires are much cheaper and last longer than the 19" low profile.
What I have found the bottom of the line is where the manual transmissions are also and the smaller rims like you said. These are what I have been looking at because you can generally tow these 4 wheels down. What I can't find is a manual tow car with larger rim and higher aspect ratio for better ground clearance.
But those low profile tires on the larger rims don't give you any better ground clearance.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
wny_pat wrote:
Gjac wrote:

TEO
Explorer
Explorer
Changing tire sizes can affect the mileage. Putting on larger tires and rims will effectively change the effective gearing to a higher gear. Indicated speed and mileage will be lower on the instruments unless they are changed. Going to smaller tires will indicate that are going faster and farther than you actually are. Back in the 60's, a friend changed from 15 inch wheel to 13 inch wheels on his Chevy and was certain that it was faster and gave great mileage. Actually, it may have been faster in early acceleration, but his actual indicated speed was way off.

When you change tire sizes, you should change something in the sender/instrument to compensate.

Paul

Paul & Helen

2002 Winnebago Journey DL:)
1999 Jeep Cherokee toad :C
Yellow Lab, Jodie, Chocolate Lab, Coco :B, and Lab/Golden mix, Sandy.:B
FMCA 98905
http://ptempesta.blogspot.com

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
If you have Michelin tires go to there website and they have a graph that tells you different tire and rim sizes. What you can and can't do with your 19.5 tires. For some reason if you can't understand the chart send Michelin a email from off the website with your phone number and a Michelin Rep will call you back. I sent them a email late at night last week and got a call the next morning. Good Luck

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
They ride like log trucks on even small bumpiness etc.
Tires on our little black car are only 18 inch but with the suspension it is a firm ride. The bigger wheel weigh more. Some car's I've seen they had to lower the suspension and do wheel well work. They just about had to change rear differential gears too. It cost them mileage.
Those little rubber band tires run pretty high pressures for a car.
The twenties on the Edge are 45 lb. The 18's on the black car are at 38-40 with performance tires.
I saw a 70's Chevy the other day with rims that appeared to be in the neighborhood of thirty inches. They were certainly larger diameter than the MH or a Semi by a good bit. They would have to jump down from the car or maybe they had a rope ladder.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Snomas wrote:
I have 20" vs. stock 18" on my Toad and do have a little rougher ride, but I like the looks so each to his own!

X2 I have 22inch on my Suburban with Hankook tires
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU