cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires, Tires, Tires!

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to replace at least two tires on our MH. I've heard Michelin and Firestone have good tires. But I'm curious about who to get them from. Do the major chains do tire mounting on motorhomes and do you trust them?

By the way, we had two tire blowouts on a recent trip. They were the two tandem tires on the passenger side. The inside one completely came apart on a rough New Mexico road. An emergency roadside repair guy replaced it for us. He looked at the tire next to it and said it looked fine. The next day in Oklahoma the tire deemed to be okay blew. We used our roadside assistance plan for this 2nd incident and felt like we were gouged. So far, we don't see any damage other than to our pocket book. Recently we had all tires checked out and properly inflated.
17 REPLIES 17

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
You have not mentioned make and model of RV and especially year. Tires age out. I just replace the four rear 22 inchers on my rv. They looked new as far as tread wear.

My tire pressure monitor probably just save me from an expensive disaster a few days after having them replaced. One of the valve extenders developed a leak. Probably from me hitting it with the wheel buffer. My monitor beeped and showed the tire down to 85 lbs. It was an inside dual. With the extender off there have been no more problems.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
We are on our second set of Yokohama tires and have been very pleased.
IMHO you experienced the fallacy of having tires inspected. Tires should be replaced every 5 years and in the Phoenix area every 4 years. A inspection can only catch inflation and wear issues not internal issues.
If you loose one the tires on a dual set up you should replace both tires since the tire the did stay inflated has been subjected to a huge overload.
Again this is IMHO
Be prepared to be told that someone has tires that are much older and they are fine because they have been covered and treated with some magic elixir.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
You probably were gouged as the people selling you the tire knew you were at there mercy.
I believe you have an 07 Winnie. Question is what size tires?
I usually get my tires mounted at the place that takes care of my motorhome.
I get my tires online and have them shipped directly to the place mounting them.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind