cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toad hit three times

BCK
Explorer
Explorer
Ok folks lets hear some comment. Maybe some good ideas will help.

My ford focus towed behind my class A has been hit three times in two years. Most recently this weekend. Seems same problem all three times. Two times in bumper to bumper traffic. Seems as soon as the rv goes by, the truck drivers think they can turn in behind me. I have a rotating becon on the car, a sign on the back of the RV, and flags in the window. I drive very defensively now as I can, I pay attention especially to the left side, as the truck drivers have limited view on that side. This weekend in PA on I78 I think the tractor trailer was just sloppy driver and he was merging onto the hwy behind me and got to close and took out the right side of my car.

I have a feeling towing a taller car would be better?? SUV??

Comment?
42 REPLIES 42

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
TN drivers have to use the left lane, cause people stop in the right lane to shop, or talk to someone on the sidewalk.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
California has always been a little different than the rest of us 🙂
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mile High wrote:

I would never take the right lane in town - that's just asking for trouble. I leave the right lane for those turning and merging and parking, and wait till I get out in the open highway to start moving to the right so people can pass.

Amazingly in Bay Area rush hours, the right lane is always the fastest one.
Seem the heavy truck with all the merging move faster than the idiots inside luxury cars on left lane.
Obviously there are exception, like lanes from the bridge merging into the freeway, but statistically driving the right lane = you will be always the first one home.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with using the middle lane. Sounds like you pass and the vehicle to the right really wants to get in your lane and so moves left when the moho passes and gets the toad. I try to give way to vehicles wanting to get into my lane. When they signal I slow so they can move over. It appears from the limited knowledge people are getting really eager for some reason. If you can figure the reason you might be able to compensate but if it is happening over and over it is unique. Basically I am big and not fast so I give way.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Doesn't take much those days to access TN traffic cameras.
How many cars do you see observing right hand traffic rules?

I would never take the right lane in town - that's just asking for trouble. I leave the right lane for those turning and merging and parking, and wait till I get out in the open highway to start moving to the right so people can pass.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
maybe if you removed the bulls-eyes on the sides.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doesn't take much those days to access TN traffic cameras.
How many cars do you see observing right hand traffic rules?

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Just one more good reason for not going to California.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Driving habits is culture that takes generations to develop.
We don't have schools teaching traffic merge, we don't have firm laws that organize the traffic to right lanes, we have zero law enforcement for traffic rules.
Few years back I was using DP for towing my cabin cruiser on wide-body trailer.
Had the situation over and over tens of time.
I am one of those very rare guys who drives on right lanes, so here comes freeway on ramp with long merging lane and car on it.
The car driver drinks coffee, talks to passengers or is texting, while paying no attention to the traffic he suppose to merge to.
So the merging lane ends and then he/she looks to the left to see my rear wheels at the eye level.
So he/she kicks the brakes and try to merge behind the DP ... ops, here comes wide boat.
Could write hole book about those .

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
J-Rooster wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
I can't believe some of the answers from your post. All you need is "Car in Tow" sign to protect yourself. Your not doing anything wrong too many aggressive drivers out there on the road!

If the other drivers don't see the toad, why would one think they'd see a sign? And where exactly would you put this sign to ensure that any merger will see it?
Great question, I live in Washington State and it's a requirement when towing any car to have a tow bar, lights that work on the rear of vehicle being towed, working brakes on towed vehicle if it's over a certain weight, and a sign on the rear of the vehicle being towed saying, car in tow. I agree with with you a sign won't stop someone from hitting your tow car. It covers all the bases legally in Washington State if your tow car is hit.

That makes sense for liability issues.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
I can't believe some of the answers from your post. All you need is "Car in Tow" sign to protect yourself. Your not doing anything wrong too many aggressive drivers out there on the road!

If the other drivers don't see the toad, why would one think they'd see a sign? And where exactly would you put this sign to ensure that any merger will see it?
Great question, I live in Washington State and it's a requirement when towing any car to have a tow bar, lights that work on the rear of vehicle being towed, working brakes on towed vehicle if it's over a certain weight, and a sign on the rear of the vehicle being towed saying, car in tow. I agree with with you a sign won't stop someone from hitting your tow car. It covers all the bases legally in Washington State if your tow car is hit.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
BCK wrote:
Ok folks lets hear some comment. Maybe some good ideas will help.

My ford focus towed behind my class A has been hit three times in two years. Most recently this weekend. Seems same problem all three times. Two times in bumper to bumper traffic. Seems as soon as the rv goes by, the truck drivers think they can turn in behind me. I have a rotating becon on the car, a sign on the back of the RV, and flags in the window. I drive very defensively now as I can, I pay attention especially to the left side, as the truck drivers have limited view on that side. This weekend in PA on I78 I think the tractor trailer was just sloppy driver and he was merging onto the hwy behind me and got to close and took out the right side of my car.

I have a feeling towing a taller car would be better?? SUV??

Comment?

There's not much more you can do except to start playing the lottery...lol
Seriously though, insanity exists everywhere, including the nation's highways.
As for a cure, I envision that one day, the RV's and Trucks will be the only manually driven vehicles on the road, whereas wrecks will be minimal and many lives will be saved. Proving once again, a computerized robot of sorts, can do a better job and just like they can build a better car on the assembly line. When there is a mishap, it might just be the fault of the manually driven and just like you're saying about the trucks.
Just yesterday, I'm cross way in the lanes and making a wide right out of an intersection, when the light went green and almost didn't see this little car shoot by me on the right. I'm betting that she never had a clue as to what almost happened and like they say, you can't fix stupid.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
I have watched in the mirror as someone tried to squeeze between me and my travel trailer. As soon as the truck bumper passed, they started over, only to be startled by the trailer I was towing.

People are way to quick to jump into the space immediately after the vehicle passes. Nothing you can do about it.

brdprey
Explorer
Explorer
:h
people and their driving skills just boggle my mind.
last year 5 out of 6 times we had to repair our car from parking lot damage. number 6, was a kid not paying attention.

i dont understand people.

hope all goes well in your future.