cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TorqShift Transmission

Big_Jimmy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 Tiffin allegro 32ca with a V-10 and TorqShift Transmission - Problem - in Tow/Haul going downhill when you hit brakes it shift down and if you hit the brakes a second time it shifts down again and RPM's go way "UP" big time, scary!! Is this normal? thanks
10 REPLIES 10

G-Dad
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Yes, tow/haul is working as designed. The TorqShift has several options. I am towing a FW, and sometimes double towing, on long steep grades, with sharp curves. I prefer to shut off T/H, and use manual mode for lengthy downhills. Otherwise, every time I tap the brakes, due to lots of curves, it will down shift more than I want. I can also lock out upper gears, restricting the use of 6-5 or even 4th if needed.

It is a great transmission!

Jerry

Just noting that Ford did not include Select Shift in the F53 chassis until just recently along with introduction of the new 7.3L V8.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, tow/haul is working as designed. The TorqShift has several options. I am towing a FW, and sometimes double towing, on long steep grades, with sharp curves. I prefer to shut off T/H, and use manual mode for lengthy downhills. Otherwise, every time I tap the brakes, due to lots of curves, it will down shift more than I want. I can also lock out upper gears, restricting the use of 6-5 or even 4th if needed.

It is a great transmission!

Jerry

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anytime you start the engine you should automatically turn tow/haul on. The MH is always loaded to near its max GVWR. Tow Haul helps with acceleration as it raises the shift points. And yes it’s supposed to down shift when braking as everyone said. This again helps because it’s loaded to its GVWR.

So yes it’s operating as designed.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, it will not over rev the engine. Just like if you try to manually pull down a gear by manually downshifting it will not do it until the computer determines it is safe to do so. Love the T/H system.

This was Ford's first attempt at stuff like this with a fully electronic transmission and it worked out pretty good. I have over 300k miles on mine with regular service and have only had to replace a sensor.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it works the way I think it does it will NOT over rev the engine
It will kick it up right close to red line. But not over .

Also if you are on a long grade and the speed climbs, and thus the RPM's. it will upshift...

Key phrase "If it works the way I THINK it does"
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you can switch tow/haul on and off at any time, moving or not, just as you can shift in and out of overdrive, etc. at any time.

Frankly, there's little reason to disengage it, particularly when it's providing good engine braking. The engine/transmission computer won't do things that damage the engine or transmission; while the higher RPMs may sound a bit scary, they are not a problem and within the design limits of the system. (The V10 is a fairly high revving truck engine, in general, and having at least two more cylinders than most other truck engines makes it sound somewhat like it's spinning that much faster than it actually is.)

Big_Jimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information, can you engage or disengage the tow/haul while you are moving?

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
That is what it is supposed to do but...

What are the RPM you are seeing?
- 3000-4000RPM, perfect.
- If it gets above 5000RPM, give it some brakes to keep the RPM below 5000.

When you use the brakes going down hill, try not to build up too much speed. Once you are going fast, it's much harder to get it slowed back down. When it gets too high, apply the brakes firmly so it slows down 15-20mph and the RPM gets down to a more reasonable level. Then let it creep back up.

Do not just ride the brakes lightly. This will heat up the brakes until they are literally red hot. At that point, they will lose a lot of their stopping ability.

By using short hard braking, they have time to cool off between uses.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
Yup. Doing what it is designed to do to help slow you down without overheating the brakes. Don't worry. Your engine was built to rev and it won't hurt it a bit.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Doing what it is supposed to do. Absolutely normal.