cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Total Rebuild of a 1979 Dodge Class C

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
I would say some of you have seen the start of this build that my brother bgriffey had posted, Well I have now bought the RV from him and plan to post the pixs of the build I have found a lot of rot in this RV I have torn out everything on the inside and have the rear opened up and the skin off the lower driver side, I will be buying a camera for my wife for christmas and im sure she will take the pixs if I can learn HOW to post them on here, Please remember its winter here in Kentucky so it will be slow but we will keep the pixs coming, Like I said this will be a total build from floor to walls and roof and custom inside build so I would appreciate all the help I can get this will be my first build and I will be learning as I go so any info will help. THANKS......Tony Griffey.

A new RV can be very expensive and if you already own an outdated RV then you should just consider a complete RV remodel which can be a significant amount of money cheaper than the cost of a brand new model. If you are retired and use your RV to travel then why not save the money for your travels rather than on spending a large chunk of money on a brand new travelling vacation home. When you decide to have an RV remodel done you can have your old model completely gutted and rebuilt to look just like a newer RV and when the work is done you will not even recognize your old mobile home. Going about having a new RV to travel in this way can save you thousands of dollars and you will not have to worry about the payments on a brand new RV home. Many retired people are travelling this way nowadays so they can travel the country and be comfortable while doing it, and there are many others that own these vehicles that they will take on summer family camping trips. The RVโ€™s that are made today are unbelievable and have all of the luxuries of home at a fraction of the size, these make it great fir families and retired folks to travel comfortably, and having an RV remodel done you can make your old RV look just like a brand new one.

Statistics show that the amount of registered RV homes on the road is growing steadily every year, and much of this is due to the baby boomer generation retiring and wanting to travel the country in comfort and style. Having an RV remodel can make your RV brand new. Some things you may want to consider is having all new beds and appliances put in. Since RV appliances are smaller than your normal home kitchen appliances they are much cheaper, and a complete RV remodel will probably cost you anywhere from $5,000 to $12,000, depending on how many changes are being done. The latter price could even be a little more if you are having your RV completely gutted and redesigned. It will still save you a lot of money over purchasing a new RV home. Another thing to consider during your RV remodel is if you plan on just remodeling the inside or if you want to have the exterior redone as well, and if this is the case the project will cost more money but will still be cheaper than buying a new RV. Most of these vacationing and traveling vehicles have a type of siding on them, and the more modern ones are sometimes made of more durable fibreglasses and plastics, these materials are very nice since you do not ever have to worry about rusting.

If you plan on getting a loan out for this remodeling job then you will first want to get various estimates, much like a home remodeling project. Once you get all the estimates you want you can then apply for the amount of money through your financial institution or credit union. The amount of money you need should not be hard for you to get approved for, especially if you have good credit. If you are a retired individual you most likely can take the money out of your pension or 401 funds, and this would be your best bet due to interest rates. Usually the place where you originally bought the RV can do the remodel for you as well, and if they cannot they can usually refer you to someone who can do the job for you. With the popularity of these vehicles constantly growing there are also many new dealerships and shops that specialize in these vacation vehicles. Having a comfortable vehicle to travel year round in or to just vacation in yearly is a great asset and can also be a great stress reliever. It is also a very popular vehicle for families to use on family camping trips, and the nice thing is that if the kids want to rough it while camping they can just sent their tents up right outside the RV.
Without Trucks,....America Stop's
3,483 REPLIES 3,483

turtlesdove3
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Why not just go with Eternabond. It can be ordered in fairly wide widths. It's really an amazing product!

should I go back with the metal or will the rubber roof work.? Thanks.

Looks like Eternabond is a good product but I'm also a bit confused which to choose?

hotrodln
Explorer
Explorer
mine were full length headers....and of course i just HAD to start it up and rev it pretty good with NO exhaust sytem on it...........i had headphones on and it was defening!

lzasitko
Explorer
Explorer
On my Ford Van when the cast manifolds cracked I looked at replacing them but they are pricey. Phoned around and in the end I bought a set of shorty headers. They are designed to replace the manifold and should connect to the rest of the exhaust system without modifying it. Not a problem since but a bit of a pain getting them on due to lack of space, having a hoist would make it easier. If I recall right the shorty headers cost me $100.

hotrodln
Explorer
Explorer
how are the exhaust manifolds on that? my 79 dodge used to burn them up and make them crack....got the carb rejetted to run alittel richer and also added ceramic coated headers. I think i got them from summit racing. they were actually designed for a class c motorhome...

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Just cleaned very little on this motor and it was not as dirty as I first thought, I need to go and get two or three cans of factory color paint and take this thing apart, This is all I have to do in the cab area besides the seats and adding the carpet, Everything else is ready to be put back together, So I need to get this motor ready Don't need grease on any of the new stuff right.

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to own the RV that a factory built and had to build it by listing to what all the RV people had in mind, Take all this info and study it hard and come out with the best ideals and build the RV,
The thing would last forever.:h

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
john b wrote:
I admire your progress and ingenuity on your project as it is starting to come together. A 2 cents contribution if allowed.I have soldered wiring in all phazes of rv & general automotive wiring and it is very reliable & cost effective when done correctly with the proper products.I have even in the right circumstances soldered and then shot the appropriate size wire nut full of silicone and installed it for a tight weather resistant connection with integrity When you see the scotch connectors etc they have used for years in RV manufacturing with a very high failure rate makes soldering look ike a well planned savior for reliabilty & longivity.
Also any thing you use with sticky tape on it usually doesn't stand up to the heat in an Rv so to use those types of wire hangars seems to be it could be another weak link. We have witnessed many so applied devices fall down in mid summer,I sure wouldn't want that to happen inside a wall or something. Just my 2 cents & keep up the good work.IMHO

First for sure the 2 cents contribution is Very Welcome for sure,
And I believe the weather resistant connection is a big part of any of these connections and reliable is the name of this game, Do it once and forget about it right LOL.. With all this good info its like having a few professional people working with you,...Man this RV site is great, Anything and everything is right here, I could fix just about anything and make it right so that it would last like anything should if ya know what I mean, just a fair handyman ya know, But the information and the things a man can learn from Talking to other people learning there way and then mix and match all that with your way of doing and a lot of times changing your way to someones else way man the learning just never end's, Like the old saying go's....
You learn something new every day, Man is that true.....LOL Only if I could remember it all,..............LOL

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
John H wrote:
Hello trucker,
In all of my soldering connectors have never had one break at the connector. In any type of connector between wiring is to assure a solid joint, not raising resistance, thus assuring a unimpeded current flow. Soldering does this. Now I can see the resemblance between the boating industry and the RV industry. But also believe since I am a boater also, I believe that the sever conditions in which a boat goes threw is far and away more than an RV undergoes. If I, or you for that matter, was to tint the two sides of a multi-strand wire, then complete the soldering of the two sides, then to seal that joint against moisture intrusion. I would then wonder how many times we would have to vigorous rotated those two wires to get the soider joint connection to break at that connection, before the multi-wire strands wire would start to give. In this I would wager far, far more than any RV would undergo in several life times. Now there are right ways and wrong to soider a joint, just as in most ways of doing things, and of course as always the course & the ways and means of getting there is your chose. I would never never give you any eroneous information, to lead you down a path of destruction, no not to you or anyone, but there are always newer and just maybe sometime better ways of doing things.
Other then this your project is starting to come together pretty good, showing all of your sweat & planning into a complete project.
I was thinking the same thing myself, In fact I did some test on this and thats what I come up with too, As long as it is done right the soldered splice would work fine, I will be using Solder and sealing them with this liquid tape and everything should out last the new wood.

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
tboss wrote:
hey driver It looks like in the second pic you have this thing tied to a cement block,,,,You aint expecting it to go somewhere are you ,,,Im just saying....

LOL....Yea...Thats a CB Antenna and its sure looks to be tied to it ....LOL.

john_b1
Explorer
Explorer
I admire your progress and ingenuity on your project as it is starting to come together. A 2 cents contribution if allowed.I have soldered wiring in all phazes of rv & general automotive wiring and it is very reliable & cost effective when done correctly with the proper products.I have even in the right circumstances soldered and then shot the appropriate size wire nut full of silicone and installed it for a tight weather resistant connection with integrity When you see the scotch connectors etc they have used for years in RV manufacturing with a very high failure rate makes soldering look ike a well planned savior for reliabilty & longivity.
Also any thing you use with sticky tape on it usually doesn't stand up to the heat in an Rv so to use those types of wire hangars seems to be it could be another weak link. We have witnessed many so applied devices fall down in mid summer,I sure wouldn't want that to happen inside a wall or something. Just my 2 cents & keep up the good work.IMHO
2001 F 350 CC PSD 373 rear,auto
RBW X16 slider,Bedsaver,Prodigy,Fold A Cover,Pressure Pro!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser cf32mk Patriot edit. 5th wheel Fibreglass and all the goodies necessary,Dish,comfy loungers,and a nickel to spend,
Mr & Mrs and the PUP.

John_H
Explorer
Explorer
Hello trucker,
In all of my soldering connectors have never had one break at the connector. In any type of connector between wiring is to assure a solid joint, not raising resistance, thus assuring a unimpeded current flow. Soldering does this. Now I can see the resemblance between the boating industry and the RV industry. But also believe since I am a boater also, I believe that the sever conditions in which a boat goes threw is far and away more than an RV undergoes. If I, or you for that matter, was to tint the two sides of a multi-strand wire, then complete the soldering of the two sides, then to seal that joint against moisture intrusion. I would then wonder how many times we would have to vigorous rotated those two wires to get the soider joint connection to break at that connection, before the multi-wire strands wire would start to give. In this I would wager far, far more than any RV would undergo in several life times. Now there are right ways and wrong to soider a joint, just as in most ways of doing things, and of course as always the course & the ways and means of getting there is your chose. I would never never give you any eroneous information, to lead you down a path of destruction, no not to you or anyone, but there are always newer and just maybe sometime better ways of doing things.
Other then this your project is starting to come together pretty good, showing all of your sweat & planning into a complete project.
John H

tboss
Explorer
Explorer
hey driver It looks like in the second pic you have this thing tied to a cement block,,,,You aint expecting it to go somewhere are you ,,,Im just saying....

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
LOL yea If I had all new metal it for sure would be 8 feet longer but it takes all new metal!!!!!!About $1200 Sure would be nice for it to be a 28 footer.

spearfox
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm.:h Looking at the pics and had a silly thought. Remove the spare tire carrier and it looks like a class c toy hauler.:B

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Changed the oil and moved the old Dodge over to the driveway so it will be level and out of the grass, This will be a little bit better to work in the driveway. It has not been started up in a few months and she fired right up and ran like a new one.