cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbee question again - flat tire on the road...

KampingKris
Explorer
Explorer
If... and hopefully it never happens.. a blowout on the road.
Motorhomes don't carry spares. So... if we get one out there and put on - what do they do with the blown one? Do we get the rim?
It's got nice shiny rims so I assume we would want to keep it, but again.. where would one store it?
KampingKris & FiremanSteve
Jada - American Eskie princess
2008 Tiffin Allergro Bus
2010 Polaris 850XP
2010 Polaris RZR
30 REPLIES 30

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Must have been a Michelin XRV as they have been know to blow sitting still.
Getting a tire off the roof is easy because without air it hardly bounces.

Ivylog, it was a Goodyear G670.

Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Flowergirl wrote:
We had a blowout last winter on the way to FL. 12:45am. front right. Scared the begebees out of us but after the shock hit, we pulled over at an exit ramp. Got our butt off the highway just enough and called Good Sam. They will help you through it. We THOUGHT we had a spare. They came to help us and he pulled it out of compartment. It also had a hole in the side of it from another blowout. The past owners put it back in the compartment and never told anybody it was bad. That was an expensive night.

And after more than 200,000 kilometers (125,000 miles) in 10 years we haven't needed one.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
If I carried a spare, my wife would have to stay home...they weigh about the same...:B...obviously you guys who use all that space in your compartments do not full time......Dennis

Or even "Half time"! ๐Ÿ™‚

There are a lot of class As with 16" wheels. When we had one of those we carried a spare. Now with the 22.5s on the DP there is no room and even if there was I wouldn't be able to handle it.:E

Flowergirl
Explorer
Explorer
We had a blowout last winter on the way to FL. 12:45am. front right. Scared the begebees out of us but after the shock hit, we pulled over at an exit ramp. Got our butt off the highway just enough and called Good Sam. They will help you through it. We THOUGHT we had a spare. They came to help us and he pulled it out of compartment. It also had a hole in the side of it from another blowout. The past owners put it back in the compartment and never told anybody it was bad. That was an expensive night.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
I heard of an incident for the first time the other day. Friends of mine who full-timed decided to purchase a house and they parked their coach next to the house. It was needing new tires but since they were not traveling anymore it was put on the back burner.

They had a tire explode while the coach was parked on the RV pad. It was the front driver's side tire and it damaged the compartment just behind the wheel. The pics of the tire looked like a bomb went off, the tire tread area completely shredded. The side wall was still intact.

The mobile guy came out and put a new set of tires all around.

I thought the tire would just lose air, not explode.MM.

Yes, as they found out, they will explode while sitting still. Never happened to me, but have heard of tires doing that other times (and not just on motor homes!).
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
KampingKris wrote:
Realize now that they mount the tire on the scene. Didn't know they did that. And no, we have no way to store a 22 inch tire and with DH's bad back there's no way we could get it even out of the basement. Liked the idea of it on the roof... but then it's a real long way down to the ground and the thought of dropping it off the roof is a bit daunting.
So, we'll stick with coach net and keeping a close eye on the tires.
thanks for the information

You do not have to put it in or get it out. Purchase at a dealer and have them put it in basement. Coach net or Good Sam driver will take it out of basement for you
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Must have been a Michelin XRV as they have been know to blow sitting still.
Getting a tire off the roof is easy because without air it hardly bounces.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I heard of an incident for the first time the other day. Friends of mine who full-timed decided to purchase a house and they parked their coach next to the house. It was needing new tires but since they were not traveling anymore it was put on the back burner.

They had a tire explode while the coach was parked on the RV pad. It was the front driver's side tire and it damaged the compartment just behind the wheel. The pics of the tire looked like a bomb went off, the tire tread area completely shredded. The side wall was still intact.

The mobile guy came out and put a new set of tires all around.

I thought the tire would just lose air, not explode.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

KampingKris
Explorer
Explorer
Realize now that they mount the tire on the scene. Didn't know they did that. And no, we have no way to store a 22 inch tire and with DH's bad back there's no way we could get it even out of the basement. Liked the idea of it on the roof... but then it's a real long way down to the ground and the thought of dropping it off the roof is a bit daunting.
So, we'll stick with coach net and keeping a close eye on the tires.
thanks for the information
KampingKris & FiremanSteve
Jada - American Eskie princess
2008 Tiffin Allergro Bus
2010 Polaris 850XP
2010 Polaris RZR

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III

A picture is worth..... It,s unmourned and wrapped in alum foil and plastic.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two things.. Before you have that flat (in fact do it now) check out this STICKEY post in the Beginning RV forum Click here for the post

They are not kidding when they say watching this video may save your life.

Second: While I do not carry a spare.. Coach net, Good Sam's. Or other RV rated roadside assistance program (Coach net is likely the best).

NOTE: AAA offers very high priced RV plans but alas. In many areas they have no RV size providers.. Coach Net does.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
If I carried a spare, my wife would have to stay home...they weigh about the same...:B...obviously you guys who use all that space in your compartments do not full time......Dennis

You are right. We are not full-timers. P.S. Thankfully my unmounted spare tire weighs more than my wife.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

escottd
Explorer
Explorer
We actually had a tire blow on New Years Day 2012 off route 80 at the PA NJ border. It turned out to be not as bad of an experience as it could have been, with a few things in our favor. The first and foremost is to have roadside assistance from a reputable company. We have Good Sam. The second good fortune we had was to be coming off a ramp (not 60mph down the highway), the third good fortune was that it was an inside tire of our dual rears. We do not carry a spare, maybe something I should consider. Our Good Sam contact was able to find us a repair service within 90 miles, and they just happened to have our size tire in stock. It cost us the price of the tire. The rest of the hefty service call was refunded to us by our road service. Thank You Good Sam....