cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Total Rebuild of a 1979 Dodge Class C

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
I would say some of you have seen the start of this build that my brother bgriffey had posted, Well I have now bought the RV from him and plan to post the pixs of the build I have found a lot of rot in this RV I have torn out everything on the inside and have the rear opened up and the skin off the lower driver side, I will be buying a camera for my wife for christmas and im sure she will take the pixs if I can learn HOW to post them on here, Please remember its winter here in Kentucky so it will be slow but we will keep the pixs coming, Like I said this will be a total build from floor to walls and roof and custom inside build so I would appreciate all the help I can get this will be my first build and I will be learning as I go so any info will help. THANKS......Tony Griffey.

A new RV can be very expensive and if you already own an outdated RV then you should just consider a complete RV remodel which can be a significant amount of money cheaper than the cost of a brand new model. If you are retired and use your RV to travel then why not save the money for your travels rather than on spending a large chunk of money on a brand new travelling vacation home. When you decide to have an RV remodel done you can have your old model completely gutted and rebuilt to look just like a newer RV and when the work is done you will not even recognize your old mobile home. Going about having a new RV to travel in this way can save you thousands of dollars and you will not have to worry about the payments on a brand new RV home. Many retired people are travelling this way nowadays so they can travel the country and be comfortable while doing it, and there are many others that own these vehicles that they will take on summer family camping trips. The RVโ€™s that are made today are unbelievable and have all of the luxuries of home at a fraction of the size, these make it great fir families and retired folks to travel comfortably, and having an RV remodel done you can make your old RV look just like a brand new one.

Statistics show that the amount of registered RV homes on the road is growing steadily every year, and much of this is due to the baby boomer generation retiring and wanting to travel the country in comfort and style. Having an RV remodel can make your RV brand new. Some things you may want to consider is having all new beds and appliances put in. Since RV appliances are smaller than your normal home kitchen appliances they are much cheaper, and a complete RV remodel will probably cost you anywhere from $5,000 to $12,000, depending on how many changes are being done. The latter price could even be a little more if you are having your RV completely gutted and redesigned. It will still save you a lot of money over purchasing a new RV home. Another thing to consider during your RV remodel is if you plan on just remodeling the inside or if you want to have the exterior redone as well, and if this is the case the project will cost more money but will still be cheaper than buying a new RV. Most of these vacationing and traveling vehicles have a type of siding on them, and the more modern ones are sometimes made of more durable fibreglasses and plastics, these materials are very nice since you do not ever have to worry about rusting.

If you plan on getting a loan out for this remodeling job then you will first want to get various estimates, much like a home remodeling project. Once you get all the estimates you want you can then apply for the amount of money through your financial institution or credit union. The amount of money you need should not be hard for you to get approved for, especially if you have good credit. If you are a retired individual you most likely can take the money out of your pension or 401 funds, and this would be your best bet due to interest rates. Usually the place where you originally bought the RV can do the remodel for you as well, and if they cannot they can usually refer you to someone who can do the job for you. With the popularity of these vehicles constantly growing there are also many new dealerships and shops that specialize in these vacation vehicles. Having a comfortable vehicle to travel year round in or to just vacation in yearly is a great asset and can also be a great stress reliever. It is also a very popular vehicle for families to use on family camping trips, and the nice thing is that if the kids want to rough it while camping they can just sent their tents up right outside the RV.
Without Trucks,....America Stop's
3,483 REPLIES 3,483

14yuTrk
Explorer
Explorer
I ran accross a rebuild that although not as detailed, seems like a challenging undertaking.
http://lawrj.sasktelwebsite.net/skinning.htm it's a personal site.
It is better to remain silent... and be thought a fool... than open one's mouth... and remove all doubt

lzasitko
Explorer
Explorer
oldtrucker63 wrote:
This is what is going on here in Harlan Kentucky today, 12/13/2010.:B

Heck, that's just a little bit of the white stuff ๐Ÿ™‚
We have had snow here for over a month and last storm we had dumped around a foot on us. They said we had more snow in November than any other year on record and more than all of the snow we had last year. I have at least a couple feet of snow on the deck. Most snow here blows around a lot and drifts in some areas more than others. First storm we had we only got 4-6" but I had drifts around 5' high in our back yard. Today it is -13c (+8f) with winds from the SE at 30-40mph. Tomorrow it is supposed to get up around 0c (32f) but winds are supposed to pick up to 40 mph with gusts to around 50. I am so sick of snow..... only good thing is that I have a snow blower which is much easier than shovelling it all....

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Part two coming off of the mountain. It is short but its the rest of the ride off road...LOL
End of the Ride....LOL

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
The same load, Only driving off of the mountain.
Off Road

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone want to take a ride in a 60 ton coal truck, That is 60 tons Plus The 47500lbs that the truck weight is. So that is 83.75 tons Gross weight. Enjoy.
Coal Hauling

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
This is what is going on here in Harlan Kentucky today, 12/13/2010.:B

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Biscuit1001 wrote:
oldtrucker63 wrote:
TreeSeeker wrote:
I think the vapor barrier is important because the humidity in an RV will be higher than in a house since you have such a small space. People are still expelling just as much water vapor in their breath and you are also cooking. So the same amount of water vapor is being generated as in a house. If this vapor is condensing on the inside of the RV walls then you are going to have mold problems.

You are 100% right.

LOL! I did the research for ya last night...cooked pork chops using a George Foreman-like grill without the vent on. Woke up to condensation on ALL the windows...

I know better, I really do. I was just, ermmmm....doing research. Yeah, that's it...
LOL.....Yeah....HUMMmmmmm I bet them was good..:h

Biscuit1001
Explorer
Explorer
oldtrucker63 wrote:
TreeSeeker wrote:
I think the vapor barrier is important because the humidity in an RV will be higher than in a house since you have such a small space. People are still expelling just as much water vapor in their breath and you are also cooking. So the same amount of water vapor is being generated as in a house. If this vapor is condensing on the inside of the RV walls then you are going to have mold problems.

You are 100% right.

LOL! I did the research for ya last night...cooked pork chops using a George Foreman-like grill without the vent on. Woke up to condensation on ALL the windows...

I know better, I really do. I was just, ermmmm....doing research. Yeah, that's it...

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Dakzuki wrote:
Biscuit1001 wrote:
oldtrucker63 wrote:
Trying to Quit smoking today, Cold Turkey, Started just a few Minuets ago I hope this go's good.:R Most of all I hope Charlene gives it her best, She is on the train with me, Together we can do this.:p

Quiting smoking a couple weeks before Christmas? Eeeepppp!

Good luck to both you and Charlene!

You guys can do it. I did.

It took a few (failed) attempts over the years but I am done with it and it has been about 7 years and there is no going back now. I did it cold (more like tepid) turkey (actually I weaned myself off) but my brother used gum and that helped a bunch.
Thanks, We will get there It's hard but we will make it, Yeah I can't wait to get out of bed this spring and be able to smell the spring flowers, It's been so long now.

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
john b wrote:
Trucker you & the wife can do the cold turkey trick. The wife & I did it that way in 1985 & never looked back & are very happy we did. It is much easier when you both do it together as that teamwork thing is extremely helpful.. You can do it if I did for sure Good luck ,Happy holidays & enjoy how much better things taste & smell once you are dried out! Happy Holidays as we are hitting the road for Al' in the next couple of days. Jb
Thanks John, I hope you and yours have a wonderful Trip, Be safe and God Bless.

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
4Eddielee wrote:
All 4 of the people that I personally know that quit cold turkey all did so on the diagnosis of lung cancer. It can be done! My father quit after 62 years of smoking and died of lung cancer 11 years later. My father-in-law died at 63. My sister-in-law died of lung cancer at age 48. My mother of cancer at age 44. My son has had testicular cancer and my wife has had overian cancer. I'm surrounded by it.... Good luck OldTrucker, hope you caught it in time. All that coal dust doesn't help either - that stuff is almost as bad as asbestos or silicosis!
WOW that is a lot around you, I too have the same thing going on, My grand father died from lung cancer, and also two of dads brothers and a 3rd brother has it now, I also have 3 spots on my left lung that is most likely cancer although I like my dads brother will not go to a DR. I have not been back after the DR found these so called spots, As for coal dust I worked in the old Wilcox mines as a jack setter back in the early 80's and then you could hold your hand a foot in front of you face and you could not see your hand, The coal dust was so thick, And cigarettes for 36 years on top of that my chances are very low, But anyway I believe in Jesus and what ever it comes down to, I'll just let it be, To anyone that is smoking now PLEASE QUIT NOW Don't wait do it NOW.:(

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
lzasitko wrote:
coloradohoosier wrote:
I suggested more research, OldTrucker. I don't know for sure what the best vapor barrier application is for an RV. I do know for certain that Izasitko is mistaken regarding houses though. I'm building contractor.

Faced insulation has a built in vapor barrier --- that's what the facing does. It isn't really the most efficient vapor barrier, but it is the most labor and cost effective, so is the standard approach. An alternative is to install plastic over the studs after insulating with non-faced insulation. Either way though, only walls (and crawlspace floors) get vapor barrier. Ceilings are always allowed to breath --- they always get non-faced isulation and no vapor barrier --- and air movement above the insulation is encouraged through venting of the attic, or the rafter cavities in the case of a vault ceiling. If a house is wrapped too tight, moisture will collect between the drywall and the vapor barrier, causing the fasteners to rust and the drywall to fail. Besides that, if a house were too tight the pilot lights and gas appliances would burn up the inside oxygen, and breathing occupents would consume it as well! It would take your family a while to breath up all of the oxygen in a house, but not that long in an RV. "YOU WANT IT AIR TIGHT!" is certainly wrong. Newer houses, because they are tighter than old ones, now bring outside air in for combustion in the furnace and water heater.

An RV is somewhat different, I'm sure. Most people don't even use them when temperatures are low enough to freeze the water tanks. The windows are also less efficient than modern windows in houses, so undoubtably there is infiltration there, and through the rooftop air if you have it --- as well as in the cab area (vans and cars aren't airtight.) The main thing I thought of when I suggested more research was the issue I pointed out about drywall and fasteners. I'd hate to see you finish your build, then find that moisture collected in your paneling, creating mildew, mold, or a musty smell. If it were me doing the build I would research the matter thoroughly, or not use vapor barrier along the top of the walls to be safe. Your siding will allow moisture transfer, but your roof will not (unlike a house roof which is vented). You don't really have to worry about your heating/cooling bill like in a house, because the RV is so small, so concerns about it being completely tight for that reason are largely unfounded.

That's my 2-cents --- remember what you paid for it.

And I too have been in Construction for almost 40 years. I have done everything from Design (still do a lot these days for other people) to building.

I have built everything from small houses to large care homes and up here building code says that the ceiling has to have a vapour barrier. You can use the paper faced insulation but here it is not that common, fiberglas, rockwool (Spun rock, non combustible) sprayed foam (only way you don't need a vapour barrier as it seals itself) sprayed in cellulose (Paper) etc are more common.

Walls are always sealed as tight as possible and in a house it is very common to see air to air heat exchangers. No matter how tight there is no such thing as air-tight, air will always find a way in. You are right in that up here furnaces have their own fresh air vent.

I know that homes and other building usually have an air space above the insulation in the roof and venting properly is required so that moisture does not accumulate. And yes RV's are a different process but the basics still apply. RV's will never be sealed as tight as a house, there are simply too many ways for air to get in and out.

I will disagree with your comment about it not being worth it to seal it as tight as possible. If it was me rebuilding an RV I would spray foam the whole inside instead of using batt insulation. Any time you can slow heat loose and limit air movement it will cost less to heat or cool.

also my two cents worth ๐Ÿ™‚
If the cost was a bit lower I would have used the spray in foam, I believe that would be the very best.

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
TreeSeeker wrote:
The truth is, an RV is a pretty small box to heat or cool, so the benefits of insulating, vapor blocking, etc., are probably pretty marginal when it comes right down to it.

I am not so sure. We have friends whose cabin was gutted and rebuilt with 6 inch insulated outside walls. They heat the LR/Kitchen (about 20x15 ft) with about 3-4 logs for an evening when it is in the 30s outside.

My living room is about 10x15 and is uninsulated. It takes about 10-12 logs to heat it when the temps are in the 40s.

So insulation can make a huge difference in the amount of energy required for heating. Granted the amount of fuel to heat even an uninsulated RV would be much less than heating an insulated house, but you are limited in the amount of fuel you can carry. So, if you have good insulation in your RV your limited fuel will last much longer.

You are 100% right.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Biscuit1001 wrote:
oldtrucker63 wrote:
Trying to Quit smoking today, Cold Turkey, Started just a few Minuets ago I hope this go's good.:R Most of all I hope Charlene gives it her best, She is on the train with me, Together we can do this.:p

Quiting smoking a couple weeks before Christmas? Eeeepppp!

Good luck to both you and Charlene!

You guys can do it. I did.

It took a few (failed) attempts over the years but I am done with it and it has been about 7 years and there is no going back now. I did it cold (more like tepid) turkey (actually I weaned myself off) but my brother used gum and that helped a bunch.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

john_b1
Explorer
Explorer
Trucker you & the wife can do the cold turkey trick. The wife & I did it that way in 1985 & never looked back & are very happy we did. It is much easier when you both do it together as that teamwork thing is extremely helpful.. You can do it if I did for sure Good luck ,Happy holidays & enjoy how much better things taste & smell once you are dried out! Happy Holidays as we are hitting the road for Al' in the next couple of days. Jb
2001 F 350 CC PSD 373 rear,auto
RBW X16 slider,Bedsaver,Prodigy,Fold A Cover,Pressure Pro!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser cf32mk Patriot edit. 5th wheel Fibreglass and all the goodies necessary,Dish,comfy loungers,and a nickel to spend,
Mr & Mrs and the PUP.