cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Total Rebuild of a 1979 Dodge Class C

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
I would say some of you have seen the start of this build that my brother bgriffey had posted, Well I have now bought the RV from him and plan to post the pixs of the build I have found a lot of rot in this RV I have torn out everything on the inside and have the rear opened up and the skin off the lower driver side, I will be buying a camera for my wife for christmas and im sure she will take the pixs if I can learn HOW to post them on here, Please remember its winter here in Kentucky so it will be slow but we will keep the pixs coming, Like I said this will be a total build from floor to walls and roof and custom inside build so I would appreciate all the help I can get this will be my first build and I will be learning as I go so any info will help. THANKS......Tony Griffey.

A new RV can be very expensive and if you already own an outdated RV then you should just consider a complete RV remodel which can be a significant amount of money cheaper than the cost of a brand new model. If you are retired and use your RV to travel then why not save the money for your travels rather than on spending a large chunk of money on a brand new travelling vacation home. When you decide to have an RV remodel done you can have your old model completely gutted and rebuilt to look just like a newer RV and when the work is done you will not even recognize your old mobile home. Going about having a new RV to travel in this way can save you thousands of dollars and you will not have to worry about the payments on a brand new RV home. Many retired people are travelling this way nowadays so they can travel the country and be comfortable while doing it, and there are many others that own these vehicles that they will take on summer family camping trips. The RVโ€™s that are made today are unbelievable and have all of the luxuries of home at a fraction of the size, these make it great fir families and retired folks to travel comfortably, and having an RV remodel done you can make your old RV look just like a brand new one.

Statistics show that the amount of registered RV homes on the road is growing steadily every year, and much of this is due to the baby boomer generation retiring and wanting to travel the country in comfort and style. Having an RV remodel can make your RV brand new. Some things you may want to consider is having all new beds and appliances put in. Since RV appliances are smaller than your normal home kitchen appliances they are much cheaper, and a complete RV remodel will probably cost you anywhere from $5,000 to $12,000, depending on how many changes are being done. The latter price could even be a little more if you are having your RV completely gutted and redesigned. It will still save you a lot of money over purchasing a new RV home. Another thing to consider during your RV remodel is if you plan on just remodeling the inside or if you want to have the exterior redone as well, and if this is the case the project will cost more money but will still be cheaper than buying a new RV. Most of these vacationing and traveling vehicles have a type of siding on them, and the more modern ones are sometimes made of more durable fibreglasses and plastics, these materials are very nice since you do not ever have to worry about rusting.

If you plan on getting a loan out for this remodeling job then you will first want to get various estimates, much like a home remodeling project. Once you get all the estimates you want you can then apply for the amount of money through your financial institution or credit union. The amount of money you need should not be hard for you to get approved for, especially if you have good credit. If you are a retired individual you most likely can take the money out of your pension or 401 funds, and this would be your best bet due to interest rates. Usually the place where you originally bought the RV can do the remodel for you as well, and if they cannot they can usually refer you to someone who can do the job for you. With the popularity of these vehicles constantly growing there are also many new dealerships and shops that specialize in these vacation vehicles. Having a comfortable vehicle to travel year round in or to just vacation in yearly is a great asset and can also be a great stress reliever. It is also a very popular vehicle for families to use on family camping trips, and the nice thing is that if the kids want to rough it while camping they can just sent their tents up right outside the RV.
Without Trucks,....America Stop's
3,483 REPLIES 3,483

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
I have been thinking about installing two Computer fans inside the walls and wire them on there own switch, The fans will be right at the metal outside wall and can let a little air flow through the walls at the metal, This should help dry out any condensation that occurs on the metal, The way this metal is shaped air will flow behind the wall studs with no problem, There will be the Insulation and then a liner of plastic and then the wall paneling This will keep any heat/Cooling away from the metal and help keep condensation to a minimum.

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
I will start the wiring maybe in the morning, After the wiring is completely finished Then I will get the Insulation put in, Then its on to the Fun part.....OH....YEAH...............

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
OK The old dodge is Winter tight, I still like a stick or two at the rear for braces but she is sealed up.

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Starwolf wrote:
I gotta say OldTrucker63 inspired me to start a project of my own... So today I bought a brand new used Motorhome as a rebuild project. It is a 1978 Dodge 27' Monaco with the 440 CID engine. The coach is water tight but was dinged/punctured in the cabover, and then bondoed in a very ugly patch. The motor runs, but leaks oil. The transmission works, but leaks fluid. The batteries are shot. The cover/door over the propane cylinder compartment is missing. And maybe worst of all it has the ugliest 70's style shag carpet on the floors and walls I have ever seen. So I figure it will take ma about a year or two to restore her... I am looking forward to all of the fun!!!
Thanks man and Congratulations on your RV I hope to see your build on here when you get started, I'm sure you will enjoy it a lot, There will be times when your head just hurts, Just lay everything down and rest a day or two then go at her again its a lot of fun. Anything that I can help with I will be glad too.

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Godsey97 wrote:
OldTrucker,

I do not have the time, nor the gumption to take on what you did.

I do look in on your post every day and see what you have done.

I am soo impressed and live through you vicariously.

It is a small world and I hope to run across you one day and take a personal look at your handywork.

Good Job!

If we do ever cross paths, I will offer you a sip of Tennessee's finest export as we walk around and you point out all your pride and joy!
Thank you, I really hope we cross paths The friendship and the whiskey sound great.

Starwolf
Explorer
Explorer
I gotta say OldTrucker63 inspired me to start a project of my own... So today I bought a brand new used Motorhome as a rebuild project. It is a 1978 Dodge 27' Monaco with the 440 CID engine. The coach is water tight but was dinged/punctured in the cabover, and then bondoed in a very ugly patch. The motor runs, but leaks oil. The transmission works, but leaks fluid. The batteries are shot. The cover/door over the propane cylinder compartment is missing. And maybe worst of all it has the ugliest 70's style shag carpet on the floors and walls I have ever seen. So I figure it will take ma about a year or two to restore her... I am looking forward to all of the fun!!!

Godsey97
Explorer
Explorer
OldTrucker,

I do not have the time, nor the gumption to take on what you did.

I do look in on your post every day and see what you have done.

I am soo impressed and live through you vicariously.

It is a small world and I hope to run across you one day and take a personal look at your handywork.

Good Job!

If we do ever cross paths, I will offer you a sip of Tennessee's finest export as we walk around and you point out all your pride and joy!

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Today is Charlenes birthday so I'm not going to do much today I wan't to spend some time with my baby, On top of that I'm Feeling a little sick today, I have some framing to do here still, I'm going to add some cross (Like an X) Kind of braces to the rear, And I still have some outside lower work to do, I'm going to find some kind of chrome strips to go around the tail light with, After painting it should look OK.

Biscuit1001
Explorer
Explorer
oldtrucker63 wrote:
I'm sure you will enjoy the build I know its something special to ride around in you own work you will have a lot of fun with it, I hope to see a thread and some pixs when you get started and I will help ya all I can if you need anything.

Thanks! I wish I could have taken pics of the worst of it, when I was trying to repair a leaking roof in the middle of a rain storm at 2am. I imagine I was quite a sight, holding the flashlight (lantern) with my teeth. ๐Ÿ™‚

misosoup777
Explorer
Explorer
4Eddielee wrote:
It just dawned on me that you're at 150 pages on this thread. Anyone know what the record is for continuous posting to a single subject?

On edit: I see that there is one at 483 pages right here on this very Class C forum.... OldTrucker63, ya got a long way to go.... Keep it up - we're looking forward to your postings.

Yeah, Trucker has a way to go with this one to catch up to "A Very Old Stray" on the Pet forum. Over 1700 pages... Great thread though ๐Ÿ™‚

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
I got more than this done with the framing I just took the one photo I will get more in the morning.

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
4Eddielee wrote:
It just dawned on me that you're at 150 pages on this thread. Anyone know what the record is for continuous posting to a single subject?

On edit: I see that there is one at 483 pages right here on this very Class C forum.... OldTrucker63, ya got a long way to go.... Keep it up - we're looking forward to your postings.
I would feel special to run number two on the board, After all I,m adding some numbers to that first place thread too and I was thankful to get to post one on page 440 Thats the best thread anyway.....Thanks everyone......LOL...

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Biscuit1001 wrote:
This newbie just wanted to say THANK YOU to oldtrucker63 for this thread and especially the photos. I'm looking at doing something similar - though less extensive - for the first time. I've nearly rebuilt a stick-built house myself, but this will be my first time taking apart an RV (1977 Dodge Sportsman / AMF Skamper).

Seeing your journey has given me encouragement that it *can* be done...and that I'm not crazy for doing so.
I'm sure you will enjoy the build I know its something special to ride around in you own work you will have a lot of fun with it, I hope to see a thread and some pixs when you get started and I will help ya all I can if you need anything.

4Eddielee
Explorer
Explorer

Biscuit1001
Explorer
Explorer
This newbie just wanted to say THANK YOU to oldtrucker63 for this thread and especially the photos. I'm looking at doing something similar - though less extensive - for the first time. I've nearly rebuilt a stick-built house myself, but this will be my first time taking apart an RV (1977 Dodge Sportsman / AMF Skamper).

Seeing your journey has given me encouragement that it *can* be done...and that I'm not crazy for doing so.