cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow bar? Dolly ?or enclosed trailer?

fltrker
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 40 ' Fleetwood and a 20' enclosed trailer that we load a little car and some motorcycles etc into but it presents a problem because you have to find special places to pArk or you have to pay extra to drop the trailer and the fuel economy is poor.
We have a larger car , a ford fusion and a 1/2 ton 4 door pick up truck 4wd ,both automatics.
I am wondering if I would be better off with a tow bar or a dolly instead and forget the motorcycles.
Any thoughts?
21 REPLIES 21

fltrker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mustang, is there a best dolly to buy and is there one that can do a 4wd 4 door F-150?

mustang652
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't think a Fusion with automatic was tow-able 4 down. I have both, an auto hauler and a dolly. My personal choice would be the dolly and hind sight being 20/20, I'd have gotten one with a surge brake instead of the electric brake system. I find it's easier to navigate with the dolly and most of it's length stashes under the rear of the RV when disconnected at a park.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF Retired, Life Member: VSPA, VVA, DVA,VFW

fltrker
Explorer
Explorer
Actually the pu trk with toys in the back is a great option because I plan on going west next winter and would like to take a quad runner.
I just as soon not take any toys this winter in Florida.
Looking for the simplest and easiest way to take a vehicle.
Just not sure which is the best- tow bar or dolly. ??

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me and I liked my motorcycle I would set up the F150 to be towed and put the motorcycle in the back of the truck. We have a friend that does just that.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
Before you tow the fusion check with Ford , some 2011 have had transmission problems after towing 4 down.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Ka Ron wrote:
I would agree with the tow bar and forget the motorcycles, or I have seen a motorcycle carrier on the back of the motor home with a tow car also. You could take one that way and still have the tow car.
We have towed a Pontiac Sunfire for years. Automatic, four wheels down and we would never go anywhere without it following behind. It does not effect mileage when towing at all.

x2 many towing and a lift for a motorcycle
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Ka_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree with the tow bar and forget the motorcycles, or I have seen a motorcycle carrier on the back of the motor home with a tow car also. You could take one that way and still have the tow car.
We have towed a Pontiac Sunfire for years. Automatic, four wheels down and we would never go anywhere without it following behind. It does not effect mileage when towing at all.