cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow bar help!!

belsy88
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 94 dodge Dakota. We would like to tow it but need to know the best way. I've come across tow bars that would mean dinghy towing. Is this the best way for this type of small truck. Our motor home is a 37' holiday rambler. Any advise?? Is it going to be easy or a just a pain that's not worth it??
9 REPLIES 9

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
A tow dolly gives you the most flexibility, since you can change tow cars at will. Down side: you need to store it when it is not in use.
Don't know what engine you have in the MH, but the Dakota might be a bit heavy.

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
belsy88 wrote:
Is there another option for towing other than 4 down?
Yes there are other options.
1. Use a tow dolly - But you would have to tow the truck backwards. I'm saying there is no reason you can't do this but just watch the following fireworks stating a bunch of reasons why you can't. You choose.
2. Use a trailer. Load the truck on a trailer. Either closed body or open bodied. Many use this method. One can easily see the fly in the ointment of a trailer. It adds a lot of weight to the towed package and you MH and hitch has to be able to haul that load.
You have to look for pull thrus when you camp because its a bit of a challenge to unhook the trailer and hook up the next day for a continued journey. Plus you have to find a place to park it.
All in all, a tow bar just make a lot more sense than any other option. My thoughts, others again may argue.
I would trade the truck or just buy a small compact puddle jumper that can be towed and save yourself a lot of money.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

belsy88
Explorer
Explorer
Is there another option for towing other than 4 down?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Google Remco Towing.. go to the basic web site and enter your vehicle's basic info Alas they do not list your ride.

They do list a 94 4wd (Towable as is) but yours is a 2wd.. generally a 2wd Automatic needs modification before it can be towed

Eitehr a drive shaft disconnect or a lube pump. Same website

www.remcotowing.com
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blue Ox made a baseplate for that series of Dakota pickups (91-96). It does not fit the Sport. It is in the current on-line catalog, but you might have difficulty finding a dealer or distributor with the baseplate in stock.

Driveshaft disconnect will be your real problem towing that truck four down. I have seen people crawl under their truck to disconnect and tie up the driveshaft each time they hook up, then undo that each time they want to use the truck. I'm not inclined to go that far just to tow a vehicle I already have, when there are more readily towable alternatives in the used vehicle market (e.g. for light-medium pickups, manual transmission Nissan Frontier and manual transmission Ford Ranger since the late '90s).
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Most automatic transmission vehicles close to that vintage cannot be towed 4 down. To do so you have to remove the drive shaft when towing. A real pain. Or Remco might have a lube pump for your truck. It circulates the tranny fluid while towing. They also make a driveshaft disconnect, don't know if they make one that your truck can use.
Blue Ox, Remco, and many other tow bar makers make the towing hookup easy. Again, its going to be difficult (I think) to find a baseplace for that vintage truck. But one can get one fabricated.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Check the owners manual. My 98 Dakota was not 4 down towable automatic or stick. If i wanted to tow it i would have to remove the drive shaft and mine was a stick.

belsy88
Explorer
Explorer
It is an automatic 2 wheel drive. Is the installation easy? And cost?

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two questions first:

1. Is it a stick or an automatic?
2. Is it 2 wheel drive or four?

I would get a BlueOx baseplate with a ReadyBrake tow bar. The Readybrake has a built in brake system so you don't need the extra box inside the truck. Dinghy towing is the easiest and simplest way to take the extra vehicle along....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG