cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow dolly what do I need

kidkasha
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fleetwood Discovery w/ 275HP CUMMINS Turbo Diesel with Allison 6-Speed Electronic Transmission. I want to get a tow dolly for my 2012 Ford Fusion which can run 4 down. The MH can tow 5000 lbs, and the ford is about 4500 lbs. I am confused as I checked at CW and was told installation is about $3500. for what they said I needed.

I am not cheap, but thrifty as I saw tow dolly's on Ebay for around $500. What else do I need to complete a tow package, and how should I start and what are my possibilities. All and any input is acceptable I am not sensitive to good and bad comments as I am an Insurance salesman.
48 REPLIES 48

kidkasha
Explorer
Explorer
I was able to purchase a Roadmaster Towmaster from an individual with all the parts. Going on a trip LA to Coeur D' Alene ID. Will need to have installed when I return. Thank you all for your advise

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Tow bars that use the hitch ball have to be removed and stored and those that do not use the ball can remain on the MH hitch once disconnected.

Counting pennies on a tow hitch can cost dollars or even lives. A truck pulling a trailer using a pintle hitch separated while crossing a bridge here locally and the trailer hit an oncoming car cutting off the roof and decapitating the driver.

A quality hitch is GOOD insurance. Not a place to skimp. Adjust the budget at other places.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
If you're talking about a telescoping towbar (with a baseplate)vs a triangular bar that bolts on to the car....
My preference is the telescoping one. Look around any RV park, I'd guess 99% of motorhomes that tow cars have the telescoping models. I guess there's a reason for that.
Check it out.

kidkasha
Explorer
Explorer
Any commnt??

kidkasha
Explorer
Explorer
Is the difference between the total bar And the one that slides in with the straight bar??
I have an opportunity to buy one With the ball, With the banking system For under $600 Input please as I may be looking at in the next day or two

JaBob
Explorer
Explorer
The question of brakes being required always brings out the people who state the law. The question is in a quick stop do you want a 4000lb vehicle pushing you or helping you to stop. The answer is obvious, either option should have a brake.
Happy safe travels.

Bob

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
kidkasha wrote:
According to owners manual it states that it can be towed 4 down in nuetral. Before anything will check at a dealershio.

I would NOT trust a dealership. Call Ford Mo co directly.
2013 ACE 29.2

kidkasha
Explorer
Explorer
According to owners manual it states that it can be towed 4 down in nuetral. Before anything will check at a dealershio.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
kidkasha wrote:
Got a qoute for a 4 down tow with everything except brake attachement (invisbake) for $1500. does it sound about rigt??

Depends on the quality of the equipment. Give us the brand name and model.

VinCee
Explorer
Explorer
According to Remco Transmission Lube Pump towing experts, the 2012 Ford Fusion with the 2.5litre 4 cylinder engine and 6 speed 6F35 transmission IS NOT TO BE TOWED 4 DOWN. This can be looked up at Remco's website. The only Fusion I have heard of that are towed 4 down are the hybrid's which I do not know why there is a difference

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Parts and labor? yes.

kidkasha
Explorer
Explorer
Got a qoute for a 4 down tow with everything except brake attachement (invisbake) for $1500. does it sound about rigt??

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
U-Haul USED to service RVs many years ago. At some point, the company had to make a decision: stay on with RVs or get back to truck/trailer rentals. They chose rentals.
Would I go to U-Haul for a baseplate, towbar, etc? Most likely not.
Maybe in Ca. they still take care of RVs...but not in NJ.

I suggest you go to an RV dealer...or Camping World.

kidkasha
Explorer
Explorer
What do you think