cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing 2002 Jeep - Steering wheel lock

BeaverCamper
Explorer
Explorer
We are towing a 2002 Jeep Wrangler behind our RV. I know the steering wheel has to be left unlocked. 2010 and newer jeeps do not have a steering wheel locks so please answer this only if you have a 2000 - 2009 Jeep.
The manual says to turn the key to the OFF position which leaves the steering wheel unlocked.
Do you tow with the key in the ignition and in the OFF position? Seems like that is asking for someone to steal your Jeep?
BeaverCamper (2019 Coachmen Leprechaun 260 DS)
17 REPLIES 17

ncscz
Explorer
Explorer
Does the key on the 02 have the security chipped key? Our 05 does, but I am not sure when it started. Go to a locksmith & get a key without the chip. It will unlock the steering but will not start the vehicle.
CarriGo
Model 2320

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
WE tow 07 JK, we run with the key in and in the on position, steering is unlocked, but the battery must be disconnected or it will run the battery down. SO... you must hook up the battery to unhook the jeep. not much worries getting that done with out us hearing you. Besides we lock our jeep while we tow. simply by having two sets of keys.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

HardyC
Explorer
Explorer
I don't tow a Jeep, but I do tow an Explorer with the gear in tow neutral and the key in the ignition. When I am camped or am going to be away from the vehicle I simply take it out of neutral, remove the key and lock it.
Hardy Childers
2008 Vista Cruiser Mini 8231