cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a rear-wheel drive vehicle

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a car dolly, but I also have a rear-wheel drive vehicle. The two options that I can think of are to remove the driveshaft or tow it backwards. I'm leaning towards towing it backwards to save the trouble of reconnecting the driveshaft if i want to drive someplace, but I'd like to get some opinions. I'm mainly going to need the vehicle when I get to my destination, but there could be the off-chance that I would want to drive it at a stop along the way.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tom

(a man with a theory is at a disadvantage of a man with an experience)
33 REPLIES 33

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Dachristianman wrote:
So before everyone starts tossing eggs at each other, I think I'm going to put my tires on the opposite side of the car so when I'm towing backwards, they'll be rotating the correct direction. I'm not going to use the brakes on my dolly, as not having the weight on the dolly could cause braking issues. I'll put a strap around the steering wheel just in case the locking pin snaps.

Hopefully it will go well, but I'll be sure to take it slow for the first day or so. Thanks for everyone's advice. Maybe I'll drop a line to the mythbusters to see if they can test some of these theories out. It would make for some good entertainment. ๐Ÿ™‚

Tom

You don't need to reverse your tires. The directional tread pattern is to optimize grip, you won't hurt it by moving backwards, vehicles travel in reverse all the time. Does your dolly have electric or surge brakes? I am not an expert in surge brakes but I would definitely use electric if that's what you have. The brake controller should be adjusted for every load anyhow. Some braking is better than none.

As ivylog said, there is weight on the dolly, it will brake. If you have wiggle room for more weight, it would not be a bad idea to pack some heavy stuff in the trunk. That will help with stability.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
1BryNelson wrote:
Towing backward without a steering lock strap is going to surprise me. I tow backwards, have done so on surface streets and freeways for about 5,000 miles so far. I do not leave key in ignition, run seperate magnetic lights, plus dolly lights. Watching on cam I do not see fishtailing, swaying and tires show no signs of unexpected wear. When do I expect and what should I expect??

I'm assuming that you tow backwards with the steering locked but no strap? When I mentioned a person could get a surprise quickly is when you tow the vehicle with the rear on the dolly and the steering completely unlocked. I forgot that I had left the keys in the ignition once when towing a 280zx on a dolly. The phrase "mind of its own" is about appropriate.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

lhatton
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed a fair amount backwards as well in my dads business. No problems.

Lock the wheel, tie it off with a strap or seatbelt, and don't worry about the dolly brakes. There's plenty of weight on them to work satisfactorily. Web shows a 54/46% weight dist on your Q45.

Just take it easy till you know how it's gonna tow. I might even take it around the block one Saturday prior to launching off cross country.

Les
1994 Pace Arrow SOLD IT!
2000 Discovery
2002 Wrangler

The one I have left may still be too many!

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
I wasn't trying to argue, if I've got probable trouble coming I'd like to hear opinions. I like to prevent trouble whenever I can. Sorry if I was misunderstood.
Bry Nelson and a yet to be discovered MoHo momma. '99 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft F53 chassis (plugs tightened) Allure flooring, 15k BTU front a/c , 6-6 volt batts with 1120 watts of solar Magnum inverter Remote BMK Trace C40 2005 Ford Ranger "Toad on a pad".

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP, I've towed backwards for over 70K miles. There is no need to worry about the direction of rotation of the tires. I have not had any abnormal tire wear or tire failures. I do use the seat belt to lock the steering wheel mainly because the detent is not perfectly straight and I leave the ignition switch partially on so I can leave the shifter in neutral. I agree with taking it slow to begin with and trying some back and forth to see how it behaves at around 45 MPH.
What do you mean you will not have enough weight on the dolly. Your 4000 lb Infinity probably has 1800 lbs on the rear and the post about not enough weight was BS. What about a 3200 lb car pulled normaly with a front weight of 1800 lbs... he would use the brakes in that case. Do you really think the dolly knows the difference? :S
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
So before everyone starts tossing eggs at each other, I think I'm going to put my tires on the opposite side of the car so when I'm towing backwards, they'll be rotating the correct direction. I'm not going to use the brakes on my dolly, as not having the weight on the dolly could cause braking issues. I'll put a strap around the steering wheel just in case the locking pin snaps.

Hopefully it will go well, but I'll be sure to take it slow for the first day or so. Thanks for everyone's advice. Maybe I'll drop a line to the mythbusters to see if they can test some of these theories out. It would make for some good entertainment. ๐Ÿ™‚

Tom

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
Towing backward without a steering lock strap is going to surprise me. I tow backwards, have done so on surface streets and freeways for about 5,000 miles so far. I do not leave key in ignition, run seperate magnetic lights, plus dolly lights. Watching on cam I do not see fishtailing, swaying and tires show no signs of unexpected wear. When do I expect and what should I expect??
Bry Nelson and a yet to be discovered MoHo momma. '99 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft F53 chassis (plugs tightened) Allure flooring, 15k BTU front a/c , 6-6 volt batts with 1120 watts of solar Magnum inverter Remote BMK Trace C40 2005 Ford Ranger "Toad on a pad".

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
wallynm wrote:
Others as well as myself have posted a different opinion than yours regarding the locking pin. Steering tires on the pavement are different than steering tires on the dolly.

Agree with you backing up comment.

I did not use the words doom and gloom or instant catastrophe either. These are you words
OhhWell wrote:

you lock the steering when you tow the normal way as well, unless you have an ancient Tow Dolly that is. You don't put anywhere near enough tension on that steering lock pin by driving around corners. Even with a rotating tow dolly, you still put pressure on that pin towing forwards and in a tight turn, it is more than towing backwards. You also can use cargo straps to lock the steering which is what I have done for longer distances.

Anyone who would try to tow backwards without locking the steering is going to get a surprise in about 100 ft.

It's not the best way to tow but it's not doom and gloom or instant catastrophe either.

Indeed they are... since I typed them and all.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Others as well as myself have posted a different opinion than yours regarding the locking pin. Steering tires on the pavement are different than steering tires on the dolly.

Agree with you backing up comment.

I did not use the words doom and gloom or instant catastrophe either. These are you words
OhhWell wrote:

you lock the steering when you tow the normal way as well, unless you have an ancient Tow Dolly that is. You don't put anywhere near enough tension on that steering lock pin by driving around corners. Even with a rotating tow dolly, you still put pressure on that pin towing forwards and in a tight turn, it is more than towing backwards. You also can use cargo straps to lock the steering which is what I have done for longer distances.

Anyone who would try to tow backwards without locking the steering is going to get a surprise in about 100 ft.

It's not the best way to tow but it's not doom and gloom or instant catastrophe either.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
wallynm wrote:
So tell me what happens to the front tires when you lock the steering wheel besides the steering wheel will not turn until you break the pin holding the wheel in place by driving around a corner.:h

OhhWell wrote:
wallynm wrote:
Towing backwards on a dolly creates three point of articulation. First is the tow ball, the second is the dolly wheels and the third is the car steering wheels. In an emergency stop this can allow jack knifing to occurs more quickly. I have seen fifth wheels towing boats and the boat will whip the fifth wheel around to the side of the truck before it rolls. Happen once in CO and there was boat, fifth wheel and truck scatted for a half a mile down the freeway.Maybe rare but it does happen. I chose not to do it.

Just because some do it and never have a problem does not mean it is safe.

you lock the steering :S

1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
So tell me what happens to the front tires when you lock the steering wheel besides the steering wheel will not turn until you break the pin holding the wheel in place by driving around a corner.:h

OhhWell wrote:
wallynm wrote:
Towing backwards on a dolly creates three point of articulation. First is the tow ball, the second is the dolly wheels and the third is the car steering wheels. In an emergency stop this can allow jack knifing to occurs more quickly. I have seen fifth wheels towing boats and the boat will whip the fifth wheel around to the side of the truck before it rolls. Happen once in CO and there was boat, fifth wheel and truck scatted for a half a mile down the freeway.Maybe rare but it does happen. I chose not to do it.

Just because some do it and never have a problem does not mean it is safe.

you lock the steering :S
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
ripping it off the dolly... You better find better straps. With a proportional braking system there will be very little push/pull between the car/dolly/MH. If the MH is locked up you want the car locked up. What happens when the surge brakes on the dolly lock it's tires up and the car wants to keep going? Does it rip it off the dolly into the back of the MH?
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
dons2346 wrote:
When the tow dolly manufacturers say do not tow backwards, that is enough for me. I do believe they know a little more about it than the average guy.

Sometimes manufacturers say stuff like that only because they have not tried it.

Motorhome manufacturer's say everybody must remain seated and in seatbelts while the vehicle is moving too. I wonder how many people violate that one!

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
...Yes, having brakes on the DOLLY is an excellent idea, ...
The brakes on the dolly are not going to do any good, because there is such little weight on the dolly, due to the fact that the engine is on the ground. Personally I do not believe there is any good solution to the braking issue. Sure it will be fine under normal driving, but who can guaranty that an emergency stop will not be required.
IRV2