cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing enclosed trailer

gofast73
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at getting into full time rving. I'm a ways out from my dream but putting a plan together to do it right the first time. I'm looking at buying a Class A motor home and want a enclosed trailer to put my car, motorcycle and bicycles in. Is this a good ideal or not good to do? Will most camping grounds be able to accommodate my enclosed trailer? The motorhomes I'm wanting can pull 10,000 lbs per manufactur specs. I'm looking at a used Tiffin Allegro Bus or Pheatom or another Class A with towing power. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
24 REPLIES 24

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
GTMADNS wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
Many states have a 65' max length and while many get away with being way over, it will not be a good day when the DOT makes you unhook the trailer and hopefully the DW can pull it with your car.

Photo of Fire UP's solution.

Many states the 65' total length is a wheel base number not over all length. I have a 38' dp and a32' trailer with a 5' tongue total length is 75'. All the semis that have a 53' trailer and a sleeping area on the semi rig with a sleeping area are 78-80' long I have measured them and did talk dot about that.

If you look, you will see that RV's have a different overall length allowed than commercial vehicles. Just because it is allowed commercially, does not mean it is allowed for private vehicles.

GTMADNS
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Many states have a 65' max length and while many get away with being way over, it will not be a good day when the DOT makes you unhook the trailer and hopefully the DW can pull it with your car.

Photo of Fire UP's solution.

Many states the 65' total length is a wheel base number not over all length. I have a 38' dp and a32' trailer with a 5' tongue total length is 75'. All the semis that have a 53' trailer and a sleeping area on the semi rig with a sleeping area are 78-80' long I have measured them and did talk dot about that.

gofast73
Explorer
Explorer
Yea good tip on the cover. We've been talking today about hauling the vehicle and basically came to the same conclusion a pickup truck going with tow bar would be our best option and just put the motorcycle in the bed. I already have a set of bike ramps and Conroe wheel chock. That's the way we'll go. Our next move is talking to our doctors to get answers for meds. We're taking notes you all are great for ideas and answering questions. Thanks All

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most flat trailers have a rock guard??? I have seen a couple with those rock guards in my life. Thats not real plentiful in 74 years.....Very rare. Featherlite offers them. And don't think of covering your car with a cover or whatever and tow it far----the covers rub the paint right off of whatever they are covering.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Most flat trailers have a rock guard in front, very little dirt on mine.

gofast73
Explorer
Explorer
Yea the sports car will probably go but man will I miss it. If Im going to haul it in a open trailer and on a life Itll be covered up real well so it wont get to dirty. I have lots to think about and to look up. TY all for the great advice you guys really got me taking notes.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Anything you haul on a lift, dolly, or open trailer is going to be filthy and beat to death by whatever the wheels kick up.......Unless I had no interest in keeping my stuff clean it would be in an enclosed. My current trailer weighs between 15 and 20,000lbs and I don't have a tag axel and have had no problems in the rear suspension in over 100,000mi.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not trying to complicate things but unless you go with a tag axle coach a Harley plus the lift is going to overload most single rear axle DPs.
Get rid of the sports car. Buy a small 4X4 PU that can be towed four down and put the Harley in the back of it. The PU will go most places a Jeep will and it will ride better and easier to get in/out of. A trailer is going to be a pain in the back side.:W
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

gofast73
Explorer
Explorer
The bike lift and open trailer I think is the best option for my wife and I. Our plans are to buy a used MH not wanting to spend a bunch of money on one to start out with.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
gofast73 wrote:
timmac

That's a good idea. Ive been checking out trailers online and locally and the motorcycle lift and trailing my car would work. I like the dolly idea to haul both but my car cant be hauled on a dolly its to low to the ground and Id have to unhook the drive shaft. A shorter trailer with bike life would work though. I'm hoping one day to have a jeep 4wd so really enjoy the back country in. I'm still young 42 here soon just want to enjoy life traveling.

Carrying the bike on back of motorhome and flat towing is the best way to go, but if you still want to do the trailer thing than get a open flat trailer for bike and car, flat open trailers are lighter then enclosed trailers.

Also cost less.

gofast73
Explorer
Explorer
timmac

That's a good idea. Ive been checking out trailers online and locally and the motorcycle lift and trailing my car would work. I like the dolly idea to haul both but my car cant be hauled on a dolly its to low to the ground and Id have to unhook the drive shaft. A shorter trailer with bike life would work though. I'm hoping one day to have a jeep 4wd so really enjoy the back country in. I'm still young 42 here soon just want to enjoy life traveling.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tow a 22' enclosed trailer behind a 40' MH. Total length is 65', so I'm legal in all states(I think). I haul a mini-van and a side by side ATV in it, so your car and bike should fit in that length easily.

I haven't had a problem finding campgrounds that will accommodate me, but about 50% of the time I have to park the trailer in a designated trailer area. So, my only recommendation is to make sure that the car you are hauling, can move your trailer to a different area if necessary.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Try a motorcycle lift on back of motorhome and flat tow a toad, its shorter and no need for a trailer.

However check out my trailer when I want to bring my boat and jeep, boat goes up and down on trailer.

gofast73
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking I'd buy a random dolly that would be much easier to haul around.