Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing overweight

jeremywatco
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning,

First off let me clarify by stating i am not looking for anyone to tell me what to do or what not to do. I know this will be a touchy subject with risks but its an honest question.....

My 2014 Fleetwood Storm has a 5000# towing capacity.

I am looking at a toad that weighs 5330# (Durango). Let's say I take half the fuel out of it (90#) I'd be at 5240#.

OK so pretty much zero tongue weight, how much extra stress is 240# of pulling weight going to cause? Hitch is 5000# hitch.

Now I realize 5000# is 5000#.. however we aren't full timers and probably would tow a toad 1000miles a year.. MAYBE if that.

I just want to know if I am being foolish by even thinking it...
46 REPLIES 46

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
If I already owned a tow vehicle that weighed 5300 lbs I would probably use it I assume that's the boat you are in. However if I was purchasing a vehicle to tow I would stay under the 5000 lb rating.
Aux brakes would be a must.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
Not an expert here, but I don't see it as a huge concern, since your overage is minimal.

However, be aware that, in the event of an accident or other issue, a good lawyer on their part could uncover this fact and try to use it against you. Whether they're successful or not with this is totally out of your control.
1999 Itasca Sunrise