cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with a Gas MH??

fighterpilota
Explorer
Explorer
Are there Gas Powered motorhomes in the nintys, or even early 2000s time frame, that are rated to legally tow 7000lbs? If so, some suggestions. Would like to limit length to 36 feet. Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

fighterpilota
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the F53 brochure link. This would seem to indicate there are chassis with 8000 to 10000 lb. towing capability when comparing GVWR and GCWR. If the finished product leaves room for some people and liquids before reaching GVWR than it would appear it is doable. Just have to find the MHs on that chassis. That paperwork looks a lot better in a law suit than paper work that indicates one can only tow some lesser amount. If the builder has maxed out the GVWR with just the coach than can't really add any people, liquids etc., legally, so that coach is useless to me to begin with. Not even considering tow capability should pass on it. Thanks for the link.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
If any of the older ones were rated for 7000-lbs, I would really wonder why they would have been not continued doing so instead of having 5000-lbs rated units like my HR Admiral. I would have loved to have gotten other half-ton pickup instead of my Jeep for a toad.

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
If you do find a hitch rating for > 7000#, go and check the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight limits - you will find that if you did actually tow 7000# you would likely be exceeding or very close to the GCVW and leave nothing for the 4 adults and 4 children and their stuff that you want to carry.

You might think that you made a mistake buying that Dynasty - given what you are trying to find, I think you will regret selling it.

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
Our MY2000 F53 chassis can tow 5,000#.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
There is no "paperwork" that shows anyone can "legally" tow anything other than the manufacturer's and hitch ratings and I don't think those are legally binding documents, just manufacturer ratings.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
Not that there are any actually built (a 5000 hitch is commonly used), but a Ford 16,000 GVWR chassis can tow up to 10,000 pounds, per Ford.

2011 F53 brochure

10,000 pound trailer capacity is on page 6. (And the 18,000 pound GVWR chassis on page 7 shows 8,000 pounds trailer capacity.) These rating ago back quite a few years.

Search here and you'll find a few folks taking advantage of these ratings.
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

fighterpilota
Explorer
Explorer
Plan on using brake system for the toad, of some sort, but need to be able to have the paper work for the MH that indicates I can legally tow 7000 lbs with it. Some DP can do it but looking at the cost to buy and the maintenance expense thought I would give the gasser a shot at it. With this forum's vast background and experience thought maybe someone had been there and done that, legally, that is. Thanks

JaBob
Explorer
Explorer
Chech the unit labels or call the manufacturer. My opinion, NO? Pulling can be a problem but I would be more concerned with stopping.

Bob

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can only tell you gas Fleetwood products were limited to 3500lbs in that era.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
I think Monaco has some that do of that vintage.