cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with class c Jayco

Rsteelie
Explorer
Explorer
Just traded in my travel trailer for a Jayco class c, so I am new to towing. Jayco shows 5000 lb towing capacity and I need to think about buying a car which will be compatible. Any suggestions out there?
16 REPLIES 16

Teeton
Explorer
Explorer
If you want just a good tow vehicle. And you being from AZ you should be able to find a good geo/chevy tracker. Mine is a 2 door and is only 2200 lbs.. I don't even know it's there.

BobK53
Explorer
Explorer
Garino wrote:
I like my Nissan Frontier. A small truck works for the two of us and has room for stuff in the bed.
Same as listed above other than start the motor every 500 miles towed. I never drove over 500 miles in a single day so not hard to comply.

I also agree with towing a Nissan Frontier pickup, but we have had a bit of a problem with the battery going low while towing. Part of that problem was probably our automatic brake that plugs into the cigarette lighter and the fact that that cigarette lighter is not active unless the key is in the ACC or ON position. I think that part of the battery problem is the Nissan Frontier!
I'm adding a cord from the RV coach battery to the rear bumper, a connection using an outdoor cigarette lighter setup, and then on to a second cigarette lighter in the cab of the toad that is currently unused. That way the automatic brake (part of a Blue Ox setup) is powered by the coach battery that is charging while I am driving the RV and pulling the toad. With the key in the PUSH position (just counterclockwise one notch from the ACC position) there is NO pull on the toad battery.
Another option is to use a solar battery tender that came with a VW that we used to own. I'm not sure how that would work with the Nissan Frontier wiring and battery system. I'm sure that Nissan would NOT recommend it. Any thoughts?
Bob Keeland and Joy Young
Arnaudville,Louisiana
2011 Jayco Grethawk 31FK

Gooding__R
Explorer
Explorer
We have towed a 2007 Chevy HHR(auto) 4 down for about 3 years now with no trouble. The car is light and easy to rig for towing.

luvztheoutdoor1
Explorer
Explorer
I like my AWD Chevy Equinox. Tows very smoothly.
Linda
Scout, 10 year old Husky/Shepherd
2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
There are a good number of automatics that can be flat towed. Most of Fords smaller cars can be flat towed with automatics, even those with the CVT transmission, like the Fiesta, Focus, Fusion and C-Max. It does seem like Motorhome Magazine has put their Dinghy Towing Guide on their web site, but you can still find 2014's guide there. When they finally add it, it should be on that link.

Almost all auto manufacturers have their vehicles' owner's manuals online to download. That will be the definitive source. If you call a dealership, you may not get completely accurate information. The owner's manual will tell you.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

booter101
Explorer
Explorer
When you say you flat tow is it automatic or a stick we are looking to buy a new car to tow but it needs to be automatic we flat tow are ford feista it's automatic but it's time for a new car

debandi
Explorer
Explorer
My 2012 CRV is an easy tow.
John Spear RMCS(SW)USN RET '88
Debra is my 'nagagator'! She tells me where to go.
Enjoying our 2006 Roadtrek Adventurs RS

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Honda CRVs for 2015 are not towable. They went to a CVT transmission. Ford & many GMs are towable with automatics. Lighter weight is easier towing.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

tracyb-oh
Explorer
Explorer
We flat tow my Honda CRV with no problems. Used to tow my Infinity 1-30 on a tow dolly. Flat towing the Honda is better.
Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel
2015 Dodge Ram crew cab long bed Cummins diesel

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^ We also use a Frontier. When we looked at Nissan, Toyota and Ford Ranger (now discontinued) the Frontier was easily the nicest of the three. And approved for towing with manual transmission. Ford was, too, but Toyota was not.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Safari-Rick
Explorer
Explorer
Garino wrote:
I like my Nissan Frontier. A small truck works for the two of us and has room for stuff in the bed.
Same as listed above other than start the motor every 500 miles towed. I never drove over 500 miles in a single day so not hard to comply.

---------------------------------------------------------

Ditto !! :W

New 2015 King Cab.
Better to have more then you need then to not have enough!

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a comfortable and fuel efficient toad, look no further than the Ford Fusion hybrid. Or perhaps the Ford C-Max hybrid would work for you. Check them out. Easy hook-up for towing - - no battery to disconnect or fuses to pull.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

Garino
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Coachmen Freelander 22qb Chevy 4500 6L 6speed
2014 Nissan Frontier 4cyl 5speed roadmaster Blackhawk 2
Gary and Shelley

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I second the Subaru. I have towed 2 of then over a period of 12 years with no problems. They are also my daily driver.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory