cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traction w/DP

etruitt
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased DP and wander if it will have more traction that a gas model on back roads and in bad weather than a gas model with front engine and rear wheel drive. Hope to be able to use forest service campgrounds and back roads. Getting ready for Xcountry trip leaving on Sunday. heading for OR and want to cut cut costs any way we can! Please advise!
09 Holiday Rambler Neptune DP 35' 340HP Cummins 6 spd Allison Tranny
04 Dodge CTD LB 4WD, 6 sp,QC. 08 SunLite Eagle WS Popup TC.
Just me and DW on the road every chance we get!
18 REPLIES 18

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
A gas coach can have as much as 1/3 of the coach hanging out behind the rear axle with might include all the liquid load (gas, fresh and waste water). Last time I had my gas coach weight checked came in at 15.5K Lbs. 10K of that was on the rear. Front to rear weight distribution is going to vary between various models and manufactures but I think overall this might be a draw in the DP/Gasser battle. Also I really, really, really try to avoid getting into situations where I might be concerned about the traction of the drive axle.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

etruitt
Explorer
Explorer
Hope to use Forest Service campgrounds as much as possible, then COE and National Park campgrounds as much as possible. Would rather be in a state park or Federal campground than a private campground but will use Passport America if necessary. Can't see using commercial campgrounds with stuff we don't need. When we get used to using the MH we may use Walmart or others but right now we just need to get used to driving the MH and using its' systems. Any advise is helpful. Thanks.
09 Holiday Rambler Neptune DP 35' 340HP Cummins 6 spd Allison Tranny
04 Dodge CTD LB 4WD, 6 sp,QC. 08 SunLite Eagle WS Popup TC.
Just me and DW on the road every chance we get!

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
If I was going down a slick muddy road, I would rather be in my 30' gas powered Bounder than my buddy's 40' Country Coach DP! It will have more weight on the drive axles, yet also can sink further into the mud.

Most campgrounds are visited by 35' to 40' trash collection trucks, and they do not get stuck. Most have great gravel interior roads, if they are not paved.

FreeCamprounds.com

Have fun camping!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Traction may be a little better, but watch the oil pan and the transmission when the wheels go down into low dips on the back roads.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.