cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Wiring

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
I have the basic 4-wire plug on the rear on my RV, but there are 2 additional wires (a blue and a red) that aren't hooked to anything. Any idea where they would go? I'd like to wire a trailer brake into a 6-wire round plug, but I don't want to run new wire if that is what those 2 additional wires are for. I don't have a brake controller currently installed that I know of unless it's hiding someplace not very obvious.

By the ways, it's a state-of-the-art 92 Winnebago Brave.

Tom
9 REPLIES 9

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
If I can locate the front end of the blue wire, I'll install my electric brake controller and save myself some trouble.

22_Over
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that even though it sounds like the wiring is already there, you may still have to install/insert the relay or fuse to activate. I know mine was ran but had to get the relay inserted in panel under dash to activate.

cacherjoe
Explorer
Explorer
That's right Dachristianman. On my trailer I could power the fridge and charge the battery while driving. It was good because when I got to my destination the fridge was cold and ready to be stocked.

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
What is the 12V battery power used for in the plug? Is that for an trailer that has a battery that can be charged while towing?

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's NOT always color coded either. The best way to know is to have a meter and a partner to trigger different events. Tail lights, brake lights, blinkers, brake power....
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
P-30

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
Dachristianman wrote:
I have the basic 4-wire plug on the rear on my RV, but there are 2 additional wires (a blue and a red) that aren't hooked to anything. Any idea where they would go? I'd like to wire a trailer brake into a 6-wire round plug, but I don't want to run new wire if that is what those 2 additional wires are for. I don't have a brake controller currently installed that I know of unless it's hiding someplace not very obvious.

By the ways, it's a state-of-the-art 92 Winnebago Brave.

Tom

What chassis do you have?
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IS there a brake controller in the MH and is there any connector on the end of those wires?

Blue is a common color for a brake controller wire and RED for the 12 volt PLUS.

The US-Gear Unified brake decelerator (And I suspect other systems as well) use this very color combination for brake control and towed-charge lines.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times