Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transmission temperature gauge

gja1000
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
I'm a new Class C owner. I have a 2016 Coachman Freelander with a Ford 350 V10 . It doesn't have a transmission temperature gauge and I would like to have one installed. Do I have this done at a Ford dealership or at the RV dealership? By the way, I'm a girl and I'm used to pulling a fifth wheel or a bumper pull trailer with my husband. He has passed now and I'm ready to start traveling solo. So, I bought a Class C because I didn't want to have all the headaches of pulling a trailer - but I don't know as much about a motor home.

Thanks for your help.
25 REPLIES 25

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:
The Logans wrote:
If you have the Ford V10 with the 6 speed transmission, you should be fine. We've found that that new transmission runs much cooler than the previous 5 speed tranny's. We drive conservatively, and run about 60 or so, to get better mileage. Last trip to Florida, we got over 11 MPG. When we could get gas without ethanol, we got about 4 tenths of a gallon better MPG, and more power going up-hill.

Enjoy!

I'm curious about what your transmission temp is with the 6 speed? On my 5 speed temps are around 199-200ish around 60mph, and 204-207ish around 65 mph or so. That's mainly in Fl where it's pretty much flat and temps in the high 80's - low 90's.

Well, for one thing, we no longer have to use Tow/Haul, we just put the 6 speed in cruise control, and the computer completely controls the speed both up and down hill. We borrowed a plug in gauge, and the temps were in the 185 to 202 range while running at about 62, with the outside air temp at around 90.
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
The Logans wrote:
If you have the Ford V10 with the 6 speed transmission, you should be fine. We've found that that new transmission runs much cooler than the previous 5 speed tranny's. We drive conservatively, and run about 60 or so, to get better mileage. Last trip to Florida, we got over 11 MPG. When we could get gas without ethanol, we got about 4 tenths of a gallon better MPG, and more power going up-hill.

Enjoy!

I'm curious about what your transmission temp is with the 6 speed? On my 5 speed temps are around 199-200ish around 60mph, and 204-207ish around 65 mph or so. That's mainly in Fl where it's pretty much flat and temps in the high 80's - low 90's.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
I too have a V-10 E-350 {2012}, Class C. I bought the Scan Gauge specially to display trans fluid temps. Without that info most folks have no clue just how hot their trans can get especially when not utilizing your Tow Haul mode. Engaging it, even on a seemingly slight grade, can drop your trans fluid temps 12 to 15 degrees in just a couple of miles.

Most folks do not use T/H nearly enough and that can easily lead to premature transmission failure. The Scan Gauge does so many things well at a very reasonable cost I cannot imagine running without it.

For the record I run with mine displaying trans fluid and coolant temps along with real time and average mpg. You can easily adjust your display to any one of a couple of dozen displays but those four work well for me.

:C

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are other gauges than ScanGauge II. But none that display as much information. Plus the ability to read and reset OBDII codes. I have 2 of them hooked up in series. This allow 8 pieces of data to be displayed at same time.
Really? The ultragauge can display 78 different items, as much as 8 on a page at the same time, and can have 7 different pages set up. It's display is MUCH easier to read, a virtual night-and-day difference. Other than the x-gauge capability I don't think there's a single thing that scangauge can do, that ultragauge can't. The only nod I'll give to scangauge is that its trip gauge functions are easier to use. I'm saying all of this after having used each one for several years. The scangauge is in storage, ready to go if the ultragauge ever breaks.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer

Enjoy!
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

ronfisherman
There are other gauges than ScanGauge II. But none that display as much information. Plus the ability to read and reset OBDII codes. I have 2 of them hooked up in series. This allow 8 pieces of data to be displayed at same time. I was given the second one. So it was easy to add it.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I too wanted to have a tempreture read out for my transmission, and just purchased a Scan Gage. It was about $135 and very easy to install, anyone can do it. I had a bit if difficulty programming in the codes for the trans temp read out, but with help from another member here got it figured out. Instead of having the dealer install just the one gage for I'm sure much more than the cost I paid, the Scan Gage will give you many different read outs that right now are not showing up in your dash.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

gja1000
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I live in Texas so it is hot as hell right now. In July/Aug will be traveling to California, back across Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana and then back down through Wyoming, CO and back to Texas. It will be HOT Nevada and other places, so I'm a bit worried about pulling grade in many of those places without being able to monitor my transmission temperature. We always had a gauge on the pickups pulling our fifth wheel or TT, and so I thought I should have one on the Coachman. Also, I do want to take it to CO where there will be lots of mountains to traverse up and down.

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Class C club!! Coachman is made by Forest River.

If you haven't already joined, I would suggest that you look into the Forest River Users Forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people that can help with just about any problem and can really help newbies. Also, a couple of Forest River employees will sometimes log into the site and give us good information.

Forest River is an interesting company and part of the Berkshire Hathaway conglomerate. They have something like 23 manufacturing plants around the US making a variety of RV's - Class A, Class C, TT, 5th wheels, park models, shuttle vans, and even pontoon boats.

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Gender shouldn't have anything to do with a transmission temp gauge. :B

Your dealer might install one but they will likely stall you or make it cost more than it is worth. Sometimes they get it their head that they can't to anything because it will void the warranty. I wouldn't let a RV place anywhere near the chassis, most are above their head just changing the air in the tires.

Unless your are planning to really give your rig it a workout I wouldn't bother with it. Maybe increase the drain interval for the trans. Scangage might be an option.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy a scan gauge that just plugs into the OBD II port by your steering wheel, which can be programmed to read transmission temps. along with a bunch of other readings. Other companies make similar products,
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect