cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Triton V10 oil level

BudFoster37
Explorer
Explorer
I recently had my oil and filter changed. I just checked the level and it is almost a half inch above the "MAX" mark on the dipstick. Is that a problem?
28 REPLIES 28

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
I stand corrected: The '99 Ford Triton V-10 indeed is a 6 Qt. (5.7L) oil capacity....but definetly not 7. Look on P. 221 and you'll see.

Link

NAUTIQUE
Explorer
Explorer
First question everyone should be asking is for more info on what year your rig is.
As Jerseyjim stated, the older F53's (I believe 99-01) had an incorrect dipstick.
Most years required 6 qts.
I believe some newer years might now be up to 7 qts.

And yes there should be plenty of grease fittings under there!

Plug your year chassis + oil change into the search on here, google, or FTE (Ford Truck Enthusists) and you should get plenty of more difinitive info for your rig.
Our Portable Summer Cottage II : 2000 GBM LANDAU - 99 F53 chassis
Tweaked w/: Allure floor, Sumitomo ST718's, Bilstein's, Steer-Safe, UltraTrac rear trac bar, CHF & Poly Bushings. Pulling a 97 Jeep TJ- Pics & Mods * GBM Thread * F53 Thread
LIFE IS GOOD! :C

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
My 2001 takes 6 qts. with filter. I was told (and it was mentioned here on the Forum) that Ford had, at times put in the wrong dipstick...causing people to put in an extra quart (to take it up to the top of the checkered area).
To correct this, 2 choices:
1- Take it to a Ford Truck dealer and BUY the correct dipstick or: as I did:
2- Do an oil change, (6 qts with filter) run the motor for bit, stop the motor, let things "settle" and see how high the oil level is. Then...take a small file and etch a line on the dipstick where the oil stops.

Works.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Puttin wrote:
Do you have an aftermarket cooler?

No.

It just adds a small amount of oil volume. When I dropped the oil filter it drained probably 1/4 quart.

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
I heard the story of a widow who brought her car in because it wouldn't go over about 30 mph. The mechanic couldn't get the engine to rev, and when he finally just opened the throttle wide open, the car struggled for about 20 seconds then the PCV valve blew out and a stream of oil followed. She had seen her husband add oil periodically, so every time she filled up the tank, she added a quart of oil.

I'm not sure it's true, but it makes for a good story.

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
If you need to remove some crank case oil trying to remove the drain plug and letting some out is a messy job.

The cleanest and easiest way is to remove the oil filter, throw it away and put on a new unused filter. This will get rid of almost a quart of oil.

With the new filter installed, run the engine for a minute or so, let it sit for 10 minutes, measure the oil and you should be ok.

I would recommend lowering the oil to the level stipulated by the engine manufacturer.
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
Our V-10 only has 715 miles so have not changed anything but I did read the owners manual; too cold to do anything else. According to the book it takes 7 quarts with filter change. Jim.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine says 6.5 qts. I always put in 7 and it's just a hair over max.

You'll be fine nothing to worry about.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
Do you hava an aftermarket cooler?

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Puttin wrote:
The V-10 takes 5.7 quarts with a filter change. After you add the last .7 quart, wait at least 2 minutes before you dip the stick. This engine has a design that means you need to take extra time when checking the level. That's the reason many are overfilled.
With my oil cooler, mine takes 7 quarts with the filter. I changed mine last Sat. and 7 was perfect. 1999 V10.

BudFoster37
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to take it back to the Walmart that did the work. A second issue is that my receipt showed that no lube was done because there were no grease fittings accessible but I can see four without crawling underneath. This was done at a Walmart because the RV package is just $53 and their bays are big enough to accommodate the RV. I called the store manager who apologized profusely and sent me a check for $57. The "technician" who did the work had a " Certified lubrication technician" certificate on the wall. Lesson learned. I am really p--sed over this.

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
The V-10 takes 5.7 quarts with a filter change. After you add the last .7 quart, wait at least 2 minutes before you dip the stick. This engine has a design that means you need to take extra time when checking the level. That's the reason many are overfilled.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely you won't have a problem before your next oil change, but there are possibilities of damage to the engine with too much oil. I've heard of hydrolocking the engine and blowing out spark plugs/cracking the block because of too much oil. There's also the possibility of blow-by in the cylinders and oil leaks from blown seals and gaskets. Fouling spark plugs is a real possibility. And for some reason, I've also heard of it creating a foamy oil and causing the oil pump to actually not pick up the oil. In short...it's best to fill with the recommended amount. If you overfill, it's not too hard to just open the plug and let out a quart, then re-measure.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Doug156
Explorer
Explorer
It should not. My first V-10 only took 6 quarts but the mechanic had it stuck in his head it took 7 (like my new v-10 does). So I was always a quart above. Never had a problem in 55,000 miles
Doug & Mary Jane
2014 Bay Star by Newmar
2009 Subaru Toad
Ziggy & Maxi, the hounds
Retired and loving it