cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV reception?

Rodallg
Explorer
Explorer
First off, my MH was from my parents and the only time they used the TV was when they had cable at their park. Now I'm trying to get it to work with the Wingard bat wing antenna has me stumped. Tried all switch combinations and no reception. I have the 12 vdc at the antenna cable. I took a extra cable directly from the tv out the door and up to the antenna with no luck (thought I would of received something even with poor reception). Now I just wonder if the bat wing is bad.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Let me know where you find the free time. I'll probably order a bushel of it.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Don't blame Apple now... They have enough problems this week... ๐Ÿ™‚
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Rodallg
Explorer
Explorer
Success, I now have a operating tv.

I used a separate coax and connected to the #2 tv connection (never tried it before) to the front tv and finally had reception with 5 channels.

Took that same cable and ran it to the front connector and received the same 5 channels.

Then removed the straight cable and tried the pre-wired cable again and tried all the switch possibilities and finally connected to the same 5 channels.

Long story short is that I believe I may have a few bad cable ends since I tried these same connections before with no luck.

When I have some free time (what ever that is) I will need to check out each connector to find the bad apple.

Thanks to all that have helped.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Rodallg wrote:
I'm in town parked in front of my house to do a few things to it. I would assume I would pick something up since I'm not to far away from some towers.

I wish I had some kind of schematic for the coax runs.

Just come in after messing with it some more.

Recap of the installation, the outlet that has the 12vdc booster has three stubs on the back side for, 1 to the antenna, 1 for the 2nd tv, and one that is empty.

In the front side there are 2 coax ends (come out of the wall) that are loose. One was hooked up when I started. I'm assuming 1 of them is for the front tv, the second has me puzzled.
What town in Calif. are you in? Are you sure there is OTA coverage?

have you tried hooking up to the power supply outputs directly with a separate piece of cable direct to the TV, rather than the installed coax?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am in St. Clair, MI.. I'll likely be here about 2 weeks then I go to (in order) Davision, Detroit and South Carolina (Upstate area) I had planned on going to southern GA this spring but alas. Not likely since I don't think my doctors will let me get that far away (I need to set up a 2nd health care team in SC when I get there. Oh the joy)

I'm not going to be around on Monday or Tuesday, Wed is iffy this week as I'll be in the body shop having some work done under the hood (MY body, that is Hospital, A Procedure) they have a good success rate but .. Well. No procedure is 100%.. Expect anxiety spike soon.

Assuming I survive (And I should, after all I have doctor's appointments for Thursday and they hate it when the patient can't make it) if you are in the area.. I can assist you in tracking things down.

I won't be up on the roof any time soon however.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Rodallg
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We have to go into the menu on the tv and change it from cable to antenna to be able to pick up channels thru the antenna. It is an analog. We then scan for channels after doing that. If we want cable, we have to go thru the menu and change it back for cable .

I have tried them both. Also tried many many different switch options.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
When I started running down the coax on my 5er, I took a couple of inches of coax with a connector on one end. I shorted the shield to the center conductor on the coax stub. With it and a barrel connector I could insert it at any connection. Then a simple check with the Ohm meter on the other end would confirm if I had the right cable.
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have to go into the menu on the tv and change it from cable to antenna to be able to pick up channels thru the antenna. It is an analog. We then scan for channels after doing that. If we want cable, we have to go thru the menu and change it back for cable .

Rodallg
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in town parked in front of my house to do a few things to it. I would assume I would pick something up since I'm not to far away from some towers.

I wish I had some kind of schematic for the coax runs.

Just come in after messing with it some more.

Recap of the installation, the outlet that has the 12vdc booster has three stubs on the back side for, 1 to the antenna, 1 for the 2nd tv, and one that is empty.

In the front side there are 2 coax ends (come out of the wall) that are loose. One was hooked up when I started. I'm assuming 1 of them is for the front tv, the second has me puzzled.

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
When you do a channel search you have to set the tv for Air not cable as well as the switch box has to be set for ant.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
jjjandrbaker wrote:
This may sound stupid, but ask a neighbor if there is any TV over the air where you are. Several of the places I go just don't get a signal no matter what. I have a buddy who had a problem like this on his first trip. He waited until he was home and tested it in the city.when it still didn't work, he knew there was a problem.

I remember a little spot, oops talking about Texas, I mean I remember a big spot in Texas that I couldn't even get a AM radio signal. Some spot called Big Bend.
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

CarlGeo
Explorer
Explorer
Rodallg wrote:
I have everything that I believe I should have installed.

Installed is the switching box (the one with all the buttons).

Wall plate with 12 vdc to it and the 3 coax connections behind it (2 are hooked up, 1 to the antenna and 1 to what the instructions say to the 2nd tv).

I have 12vdc at the coax end (at the antenna).

The A and B switching box.

The tv is a newer tv (20" LCD).

I have the antenna up and rotated in all directions.
Do you have the TV input set correctly for AIR signal? TV input must be programmed for correct signal input yup are connect to.
I did the channel scan in antenna and cable with no hits.

What am I missing?

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
This may sound stupid, but ask a neighbor if there is any TV over the air where you are. Several of the places I go just don't get a signal no matter what. I have a buddy who had a problem like this on his first trip. He waited until he was home and tested it in the city.when it still didn't work, he knew there was a problem.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
12v at the antenna is good, that powers the amplifier. You can't bypass this by using coax directly from the TV to the antenna. TV menu may have a choice of something like NTCS or PAL formats, pick NTCS. Make sure the A/B switch is in the correct position.

Each time you move the antenna you'll need to rescan for channels. You can skip scanning for cable or analog channels. You'll only be looking for OTA (Over The Air) digital signals.

If there are other TV antennas in the area, look to see which way they are pointed.

My old TT the pointing indicator on the inside ring of the rotator matched the direction the antenna. My 5er, I still haven't figured out how it's pointing.
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman