cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unoccupied Home and Homeowners Insurance

newsomer
Explorer
Explorer
OK, we've just scrapped plans to enter the workamping life because I've read that most if not all homeowners insurance will not cover claims if the property is unoccupied for more than 30 days unless they are notified of this status and then they will bump premiums astronomically. Additionally I've read that if you don't avail them of this status and they find out, claim or not, they will likely cancel your coverage.

We want to travel without restriction. We'd like to try workamping to extend our stay and defray expenses. We don't want to sell our house and property.

I'm asking those of you who make these 3, 5, 7 month long expiditions around the country while keeping your home, what do you do? Do you just chance it by shutting things up and have a friend or service watch it? Do you pay a premium increase? If so, how much?
2015 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
To Infinity, and Beyond!
- Our Campsites (Bing Maps)
21 REPLIES 21

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
Your home may be considered “vacant” or “unoccupied” if it is left empty for 60 or more days, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.

If you leave home for several weeks, you could potentially void your homeowners insurance coverage. This is because vacant or unoccupied houses are at greater risk for vandalism, theft, weather-related perils and fire, but your policy premium is based on a lower-risk scenario where your property is occupied. Contact your insurer before leaving town for a lengthy period to make sure you have the unoccupied home insurance coverage you need.

Bottom line read your policy and check with your agent
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will say I was an insurance adjuster for a short time almost 25 years ago, and I've been a homeowner all my life, and I've never seen this language in an insurance policy for homeowners insurance. Not saying it doesn't exist, but I've never seen it. And if it's not in your policy it would not apply.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Can you have a friend check in every two weeks and stay the night?
Have them keep a log sheet.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Rent your house out to someone you trust while your gone.

100% agree if your so broke as said and still want to go rving around the country rent the darn hose out;;

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:

my insurance would not cover a renter. before you do that you need to be sure your insurance would cover it.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

JFC
Explorer
Explorer
When we purchased our vacation home we indicated that was what it was, a vacation home. Nothing special from the insurance company, premium less than half our regular home. We used it two to three weeks a year usually at holidays. Storm caused a roof leak, insurance paid $6,000 in repairs, no questions asked.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
gutfelt wrote:
so are there state mandated insurance rules that insurance companys follow? seems very odd (example)in Alabama your insurance goes from $50 to $175 and in another state it does not change ;; can someone explain this ?

two words...risk analysis. everything else being equal insurance rates and premiums would be the same everywhere. but property values, cost to rebuild/repair, claims history, risk of nature, etc. all play into setting rates and premiums.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
so are there state mandated insurance rules that insurance companys follow? seems very odd (example)in Alabama your insurance goes from $50 to $175 and in another state it does not change ;; can someone explain this ?

raygreg
Explorer
Explorer
According to my insurance agent, if there is furniture in the house and cloths in the closet, the house is occupied.
(I would ask your insurance agent though)

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Read your policy or actually talk to your agent rather than relying on stories you've read and other gossip.

precisely. I'm not the OP but got to wondering when I saw this thread so I called my agent (State Farm) and learned that the only thing they don't cover is if I rented my place while we're gone. they prefer if someone comes by now and then but don't require it. no change in coverage or premium.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

newsomer
Explorer
Explorer
USAFBILL wrote:
In Alabama our insurance jumped from $50.00 a month to $175.00 a month for unoccupied insurance. And this policy was written by a third party insurance company.... We looked at all of the alternatives and paying the increased coverage was the only option that would allow me to sleep at night.
This is exactly what I've read in several (non-gossip) places. To top that off, our homeowners insurance is very difficult to obtain as we have a manufactured home and our premium is already over $100 a month. If our result is even close to that of USAFBILLs then our premium would be over $350 a month. We're not even well heeled enough to absorb that into our budget.

I have a request to have our agent call me back so we can get the straight poop on our policy.
2015 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
To Infinity, and Beyond!
- Our Campsites (Bing Maps)

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not a problem if you talk to your agent when you get your policy. Lots of people have two homes and one of them regularly sits longer than 30 days. We had no problem and did not pay a rate much higher than normal for a vacation house that we only used about 4 weeks a year.

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
In Alabama our insurance jumped from $50.00 a month to $175.00 a month for unoccupied insurance. And this policy was written by a third party insurance company.... We looked at all of the alternatives and paying the increased coverage was the only option that would allow me to sleep at night.
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab