cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

up grade camper pull..for a class C

1950panman
Explorer
Explorer
looking to up grade my camper bumper pull.and trade my 1973 corvette stingray, for a cass c.r/v...yea I did have a 2003 Georgiaboy for 8 years...but sold...now I need the class c..what is the best ..ford or chevy chassie? forrest river looks great to any other suggestion..please advise..need lots of floor space...thanks ahead of time for replys...ty
13 REPLIES 13

RobbieH
Explorer
Explorer
And you get a higher tow rating (mine's 10,000 lbs) and a diesel in the Super-C package too.

I wasn't aware of an E450 with diesel. Coachmen doesn't list one on their website.
2005 Safari Gazelle 40PBT
2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS pulled by 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

1950panman
Explorer
Explorer
Wow...thank you men....good report most 22, ty

Gooding__R
Explorer
Explorer
I elected for the Coachman Concord with 2 slides and a Diesel, on the E-450. I have taken several trips around the US with a very good MPG and lots of power.
But that being said the one you select will be the one you want, until you decide to go bigger or better. Just my thoughts.

1950panman
Explorer
Explorer
thanks , ron, mits..onzo

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since 1950panman stated "need lots of floor space", I would assume he is looking for the longest, widest rig with as many slide outs as he can get. That translates into "weight" which means the Ford E450 chassis will be his best choice for it handles the most weight of them all.

Now if he wants to go the next step and consider a super-C which is a C built on a truck chassis like pictured below, then that opens up many bigger options yet. If purchase price is concerning, it seems there are a few out there that are not so much more expensive than a standard C in similar sizes, like a Nexus Phantom Super C diesel with MSRP starting at $117,000. I believe their factory direct pricing will be much less, maybe $12k-$17k more than the largest FR Sunseeker. It may be made better and bigger too.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I stopped by a FR dealer, and if you want one of their rigs, it will be a blue oval. I wondered why no GMs, so I'm guessing the above -- more Colorados and Suburbans, fewer 4500 chassis. To me, does it matter? I'm used to Ford, but nothing wrong with Chevy/GMC.

As for Sprinters, this discussion has been hashed out a bit. The two biggest disadvantages for that chassis is the price (usually $10-25k above a Ford or Chevy), and the lack of repair places in a lot of areas.

As for Dodge, the older Sprinters, I'd lump in with Mercedes. The newer ProMasters are a different beast entirely. Downside of the ProMasters is their anemic cargo capacity, so they wind up being used for only light, slideless rigs like the Winnebago Trend.

Of course, don't forget the curveball that will be smacking the "C" industry in the face in several years. Ford should have the heavier duty (T-450, T-550) Transit based cutaways out in a year or two. These will replace the Econolines... but as far as I know, -nobody- knows what engine choices these models will have. Perhaps a diesel, maybe an EcoBoost... who knows.

As of now, I have looked at almost everything out there. Nothing against Sprinters, but I don't see anything it provides that the E-450 doesn't... the cost difference can buy a lot of gas, and the Ford V-10, once it is out of warranty, has a whole slew of aftermarket stuff that can be done with it.

I will say I've seen E-350/E-450 rigs in extremely sad shape. However, they start up and run even though the radiator is likely shot, the gas has water in it, the oil is sludge, and who knows what is passing through the air filter.

I do like the recent updates to the latest model Fords as well. Especially with 7500 pounds available on the hitch, which comes in handy.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Better check the tow weight limits for your prospective TV.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I like three steps in and the 7k tow capacity of my rig. Floor space is in the eyes of the beholder.

Last rig was a 36ft Damon Challenger.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

YWORRYDOG
Explorer
Explorer
Forest River is great, with good floor planes, but you won't get a Chevy as they can't get them. Chevy is too busy building Colarados
CHUCK and ROSE 2010 Sunseeker
We camp on earth

YWORRYDOG
Explorer
Explorer
Forest River is great, with good floor planes, but you won't get a Chevy as they can't get them. Chevy is too busy building Colarados
CHUCK and ROSE 2010 Sunseeker
We camp on earth

1950panman
Explorer
Explorer
thank..old yeller.oasisbob

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Tastes great. Less filling. LOL The best one is the one you end up buying.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
New guy looking to start a fight, LOL. Seriously the Ford vs Chevy vs Mercedes, vs Dodge debate lags only behind Walmart camping, toilet paper, and kids and dogs to fire everyone up here. Here's my take. Test drive them all and then decide which one suits your needs best. While it is possible to select the wrong chassis for you, it is very improbable to choose one that is problematic. To throw my log on the fire, we love our Ford E450 chassis.

Welcome to our forum!
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!