cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to 50amp?

GoalstoDreams
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 2007 Itasca Spirit 25F which is 30amp. I've tripped the breaker once already using a blow dryer while the AC unit was running. I've also been told by my neighbors here in my RV park that I will most certainly trip it if I try to use the convection oven while the AC is on.

I can adapt to the limitations this presents but would prefer to avoid it if possible...I am wondering if it is feasible to upgrade to 50amp or install a separate 20amp circuit to service the AC unit alone and plug it in separately to shore power (which a neighbor suggested).

(I searched the forums for this topic but couldn't find it, so apologize if this has been addressed before).

Any help/advice would be most appreciated!

Sue
Sue
Arizona
http://sehow1966.wordpress.com
18 REPLIES 18

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
In simple terms 50 amp service is a misnomer. It is actually 2 50 amp circuits for a total of 100 amps. I have never had a problem with having to turn anything off or blowing a circuit breaker.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
20a single circuit load shed is just $81 to choose between water and microwave for example.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Find the breaker that is for the convection oven. Put a pig tail in the breaker box that goes to a female outlet. Break the link and run an Aux 20 amp (#12 wire) to one side. Put a male plug on the supply to the oven. Choose to run it as OEM or on the Aux. Just plug in the side you wish.

Bonus in winter time you can use that 20 amp for a 1500 watt heater.

GoalstoDreams wrote:
What I probably should have stated more clearly is that I AM wanting to use the convection oven for baking but don't want to have to shut down the AC for a 30-40 minute stretch while I do that. It gets hot in Tucson...and yes....I could avoid baking/roasting in the summer time....but I don't want to have to. This was the basis of my original question.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Sue,

A 50 amp service gives access to 12000 watts. It would be possible to badly design the system with all the heavy loads on one leg--but it is unlikely. On 50 amps you could run up to six air conditioners.

If folks really wanted to pay for it, a 30 amp could be equipped with load shedding technology--so that the water heater (for example) would only run when there was enough current to support it. I do my own load shedding.

The problem is that such devices are not cheap--and difficult to trouble shoot when they do "go wrong".

I'll stick to my OEM 30, the two auxiliary shore power cords and my boost technology inverter.

The most I use is about 5500 watts in the wild west winter of -40.

GoalstoDreams wrote:

The real question, however.....and it boggles my mind....is why they still design RVs with electrical components that cannot be supported simultaneously by even 50amp service (let alone 30amp)...with all the technological advances in the world, you'd think they could figure this out......and I don't expect an answer, mind you..this was purely rhetorical....; )

Thanks again everyone for all your help!

Sue
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

map40
Explorer
Explorer
install a second shore power and buy a 50amp to 30+30 adapter. you willhave plenty of power
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

GoalstoDreams
Explorer
Explorer
Wow...thanks everyone for the great ideas....looks like I have lots to think about as well as lots of options. I'm glad to know there are others who have found a work-around. I get to benefit from others' brainstorming/trial and error.

The real question, however.....and it boggles my mind....is why they still design RVs with electrical components that cannot be supported simultaneously by even 50amp service (let alone 30amp)...with all the technological advances in the world, you'd think they could figure this out......and I don't expect an answer, mind you..this was purely rhetorical....; ).....this question ranks right up there with why RV manufacturers still build coaches with decals....sigh.

Thanks again everyone for all your help!

Sue
Sue
Arizona

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Lots of us add an additional shore power cord. I have the 30 amp OEM, 20 amp, and 15 amp auxiliary shore power cords. I use simple male and female plugs so I can switch back to the OEM configuration.

Another idea, for shore use items, may be to add a largish inverter that has a dedicated outlet. I have one such outlet installed in the kitchen, so that I can use more than 30 amps for as long as the batteries will run the inverter.

Going to a true 30 amp rewire may require surface mounted wiring which will look not too nice.
Regards, Don

Ductape_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a duplex outlet and broke off the jumper so I could have one outlet on the MH power and the other outlet I have a 12ga cord that I use on posts that have the extra 120v outlet so I can plug in the hair dryer or heater without drawing on the 30 amp service when available. It was an inexpensive way to solve the problem for me.
2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
GoalstoDreams wrote:
What I probably should have stated more clearly is that I AM wanting to use the convection oven for baking but don't want to have to shut down the AC for a 30-40 minute stretch while I do that. It gets hot in Tucson...and yes....I could avoid baking/roasting in the summer time....but I don't want to have to. This was the basis of my original question.

Grin, that is a different discussion.

I think the easiest way is to leave your current electrical system untouched (with the exception below). Get another 120v breaker box (small) and run a 30 foot 12g cord to it with a 15 amp plug on the end. Run a wire from the new breaker to a new ATS (that switches both HOT and NEUTRAL in case the outlets on the pedestal are not on the same circuit) on the Normally Open side. Move the wire from your current breaker that goes to the convection/microwave to the other side of the ATS, the Normally Closed side. Then run a wire from the ATS to the convection/microwave.

If the new cord is not plugged in, the convection/microwave runs off RV power just as it does now. If you plug the new cord in, the ATS switches the power for the convection/microwave (both HOT and NEUTRAL) to the new circuit and it is run without the RV's power grid.

Instead of a new ATS, you can get a DPDT (double pole double throw) switch that lets you manually switch both the HOT and NEUTRAL wires with a flip of the switch. However, that would require 2 steps, plug in the new cord AND flip the switch. Forgetting to flip the switch leaves the oven on RV power even though you plugged in the second cord.

I agree with GoalsToDreams, My first post was quick answer and was directed to converting to a 50 amp service. I just sat down and drew out a circuit staying with a 30 amp but being able to use the 50 amp outlet. It is a little more work than Goals idea but achives the same goal. I thought about a double pole CB box with a 4-#10 cable connected to 20 amp and 30 amp circuit breakers and using a transfer switch to switch between using the original power cord and the new one. Cost about a hundred dollars more but no dog bone to use a fifty amp outlet.

I'll clean up the drawing and post it later today.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
GoalstoDreams wrote:

Grin, that is a different discussion.

I think the easiest way is to leave your current electrical system untouched (with the exception below). Get another 120v breaker box (small) and run a 30 foot 12g cord to it with a 15 amp plug on the end. Run a wire from the new breaker to a new ATS (that switches both HOT and NEUTRAL in case the outlets on the pedestal are not on the same circuit) on the Normally Open side. Move the wire from your current breaker that goes to the convection/microwave to the other side of the ATS, the Normally Closed side. Then run a wire from the ATS to the convection/microwave.

If the new cord is not plugged in, the convection/microwave runs off RV power just as it does now. If you plug the new cord in, the ATS switches the power for the convection/microwave (both HOT and NEUTRAL) to the new circuit and it is run without the RV's power grid.

Instead of a new ATS, you can get a DPDT (double pole double throw) switch that lets you manually switch both the HOT and NEUTRAL wires with a flip of the switch. However, that would require 2 steps, plug in the new cord AND flip the switch. Forgetting to flip the switch leaves the oven on RV power even though you plugged in the second cord.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
It would be easy enough to separate the AC out to a separate cord. The problem you might run into is that some parks don't have a separate 15/20A recep.

I have a 50A Rv but when it's plugged into 30 we have the same problem.
I added a new recep on the bed pedestal and ran a new cord (an extension cord)
That I plug into the pedestal for wifey to use for her hair dryer. Or the hot water maker.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Was the fridge and water heater set to propane only?
Can you use the hair dryer on something besides max speed and heat?

Otherwise the conversion should not be too bad. The hardest part is pulling 6/3 romex from the cord entry to the new electric panel. If you have access then go for it.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
This may not be the best solution for you but it will work. Buy a 240 volt breaker box, connect one load side of breaker to existing converter and the other side to your AC feed. Buy a new 25 or 30 foot 50 Amp cord and connect to the line side of the new breaker box.

If you can do it yourself it would cost $250 to $300, which would include the box, breaker, 30' cord w/ male connector, and misc. supplies.

You could add an automatic transfer switch or manual switch that would allow you to use the electrical system as it is now(incase there is no 50 amp pedestal)using the existing 30amp cord or use the new arrangement with the 50amp cord. Additional cost would be another $300 or so.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

GoalstoDreams
Explorer
Explorer
LOL.....It takes me about 3 minutes to blow dry my hair....and no...it is not an inconvenience to shut off the AC while doing this. My AC runs fine with my coffee pot on and I can set the microwave for a 2-3 minute run without tripping the breaker. I generally don't leave my water heater on. I've been RVing for over 15 years and I too have learned how to adapt to such things and its not a big deal.

Thanks,

Sue
Sue
Arizona