cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of engine brake prohibited

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I was driving over a mountain pass in a passenger vehicle between Las Cruces and White Sands and noticed a sign that read "Use of engine brake prohibited."

That's the first time I've ever seen such a sign and was wondering why this is? It's near a military installation and I was wondering if the noise of engine brakes could cause them misreadings on their missile tests or if it's something else.

Also, are modern day engine brakes loud? Even when I use mine on the highest setting, I can't hear a thing from inside the coach. I'm thinking that they are a lot quieter these days, but then again, maybe my coach is just well insulated.

I am also assuming that engine brake refers to Jake Brakes and not simply gearing down.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
38 REPLIES 38

captain-caveman
Explorer
Explorer
John S. wrote:
So what f a trucker hits a kid who ran out on the street. He says I could have avoided that kid as my jake would have started to slow me down and your sign prohibited a safety device. I wonder what the lawsuit would look like.

It doesn't matter. If you're a truck driver, You're always at fault.
Being cheap has cost me a lot of money

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
Amazing threadSome people can argue about anything.

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Just because you can not hear your engine brake does not mean you are not making more noise than the residents want to be subjected to. I always thought my 6.7L Cummins was quiet until my wife drove it down the street. After that I had her come by with the "engine brake" (actually the VGT choked down) on and then off and the increase in noise was clearly noticeable. Do what you want but do not complain if you get ticketed.
Randy

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
So what f a trucker hits a kid who ran out on the street. He says I could have avoided that kid as my jake would have started to slow me down and your sign prohibited a safety device. I wonder what the lawsuit would look like.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are a couple of different types of Engine Brakes,, Some are very loud, some are not,, And that is about all I know about it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Some silly posts being discussed here. Modern motor homes with 12-15 liter diesels make very little noise mine included. I believe these ordinances were written because of the modified systems on trucks. I have never had an issue following the ordinance when I see it as they are NOT posted when coming down a 6 mile 6% grade. They are on the flats when it's not necessary anyway.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
like it says, don't use it. i see lots of them but usually when i am going into a town.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Altern wrote:
Dennis M M wrote:
Modern trucks with proper equipment will not make any irritating noise either. My two stage engine brace is barely noticeable. It's the load, unmuffled ones the signs are referring to.

I ignore the signs and use the engine brake when I need it.
X2

X3 mine is not noticeable
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Daveinet wrote:
Was it your intention for these 2 posts to be consecutive?
No. I was responding to the topic.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:
I find many other things more anoying, like my wife

2oldman wrote:
They are one of the loudest sounds on the road. Not as bad as train horns, but pretty close.
Was it your intention for these 2 posts to be consecutive?
IRV2

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
They are one of the loudest sounds on the road. Not as bad as train horns, but pretty close.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
I find many other things more anoying, like my wife
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
When I was hauling fuel in that old 68 "Pete" in the mountains of CA. I loved to hear that ole Jake talk. I'm probably one of the reasons you see those signs;)
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.

tratterboy1
Explorer
Explorer
Also known as "cowboy brakes".