cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used class C Sprinter RV's

Resoman
Explorer
Explorer
We're in the market for a used class C, and the various Sprinter based models we've seen are very appealing. The configurations that we like are relatively uncommon, I guess; we like the twin bed version best, with our second choice being the models with the slide-out queen bed in the back. I don't know how many years these particular versions have been produced. Also, I'm confused by the various names on the Sprinter RV's, as well as the engines that have been used over the years.
Our budget will likely prevent getting anything newer that '12 or '13, and I'd appreciate any thoughts from members who have experience with these RV's and can suggest what to look for and what to look out for. If there's a website somewhere that hashes all this stuff out, or an FAQ specific to Sprinter based RV.s, I'd appreciate being directed there. Thanks in advance,
Gary,
Elgin, TX
8 REPLIES 8

Resoman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who have responded; I really appreciate your sharing your knowledge about these RV's!
Gary

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
All 2006 Chassis Sprinters (and earlier) which are generally 2007 and earlier coaches, are the T1N chassis, which is a 2.7L 5 cyl diesel. You can spot these by the air louver on the hood, a single wide black louver. All in North America will be either Dodge or Freightliner Grill and markings. (A number of owners of these NAFTA version Sprinters have changed the grill and badging to Mercedes, but none were marketed this way new in North America.)

Beginning with 2007 chassis (known as NCV3) a 3.0L v6 Diesel is used and is identified by the two separate air inlets on the hood. A few 2008 Winnebagos were put on 3.5L v6 gasoline engine Sprinter chassis, and more recently a few were built on a 2.0L 4 cyl diesel chassis.

All will have the same basic 5 spd automatic transmission except the 4 cyl model, which has a 7 speed transmission.

About 2012 chassis model, Mercedes took the line away from Dodge as they sold Chrysler off to a group of investors, after this changeover the chassis is badged either Mercedes or Freightliner (which is a Mercedes subsidiary).

Maintenance on this chassis is somewhat quirky and owners need to be careful to use fluids and lubricants approved by Mercedes Benz for the particular application. V6 in particular are demanding, using only certain oils, of which there are only a few in the US meeting the spec, this is to avoid damage to the diesel exhaust filter system.

Also, join the Sprinter Forum to learn about the models of Sprinter you are looking at. There are different forums for the NCV3 and the T1N and also sub forums for the motorhomes, and write up forums with stuff on oil changes, trans fluid changes, etc.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

SBradley
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2014 Itasca Navion IQ 24V (actually 25.5 feet long). On 3500 Chassis. Winnabego View is exactly the same. Winnabego has dropped the Itasca name this year. All navion/View configurations can have the cab bunk or not, that change made last year. Quality of the Navion/View is fantastic, Liesure travel is also great. Both one piece fiberglass roof, insulation on Leisure tvl is a bit thicker floor is built on the frame about 6 inches lower than Navion/View which is built on a 6 inch Aluminum box frame.. Liesure Tvl does not have twin bed model or G. A friend of mine has owned Navion and Prisim he is back to the Navion G he believes the quality of the Navion is better. Liesure tvl has a smaller dealer network. I am not a fan of the Murfybed, it is in the main living space, both people must go to bed at the same time.

We are getting 16.5 per miles per gallon. Quiet Diesel engine on all Mecedes. Good power, road noise is alittle more than I like. We are looking to do some sound proofing mods in rear wheel area.
Slide on driver side with hide abed, sleeps one adult or two children if they like each other.
Twin bed shower is slightly larger on the V model than the G. The water heater and water pump are easier to access thru the rear compartment than the G for maint. and winterizing.

We like Twin bed because of the two separate living spaces. Wife goes to bed hours before I do, she has crafts and we don't have to reconfigure (make the beds) to sleep or drive. Plenty of storage full extension drawers under each bed plus over head storage. Large storage in all but one external compartments. The storage under the slide is where we put things we don't need often because when the slide is out it is harder to access. Only down side in the entire rig, to empty the gray tank water is pumped to the dump side, it works well but I prefer gravity dump.

If price is the issue look at 2011 thru 2014. I have seen pricing anywhere from $57k to $85k for a low mileage unit.

Hope this helps
S Bradley
Navion IQ 24V

Mike_Leslie
Explorer
Explorer
There is a yahoo group for "Skinny Winnies". They are very active and informative.

Mike Leslie

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Like NCWriter, we went from a B Roadtrek to a Coachmen Prism B+ (yea - a "C"...) on a Sprinter chassis after a decade and 110K miles. We definitely wanted a usable bed without deploying the slide, since we overnight at Wallyworlds, Flying J's, etc quite often while going cross country. Looked at rigs by Winnebago/Itasca, LTV, Coach House, Thor (NOT good quality...), Pleasure-way, Born Free, probably others before we settled on the Prism due to the floorplan. The iRV2 forum has a section specifically devoted to Sprinter chassis moho's. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a used 2013 Itasca Navion IQ24G, after having a good experience with an older Sprinter class B. The IQ symbol simply means it has a slanted (rather than bulbous) over-cab area.

Going well so far. We chose the 24G queen bed model with a slide in the back as well as one for the living area. The bed is comfortable, the bedroom has three windows and is a pretty decent size for a small RV, and you have a narrow aisle on each side which is useful. There has been a rear queen slide View/Navion model for quite a few years. The mattress is in two parts, and so you fold back the top third before you retract the slide.

A few years ago, friends bought a new Navion with the twin beds, which we would have also been pleased with. The advantage to that model is no rear slide, so your beds are available to be used if you can't or don't want to put the two slides out. There's some storage space beneath the twin beds, I believe. The galley is a bit shorter.

I like the spacious, bright feel of the living area with two skylights. You can turn the driver's and passenger's seats around to face the room, and they make for comfortable room seating for up to four people for conversation or TV. There are night-time window shades installed against the windshield and side windows, rather than a curtain.

For two adults and a large dog, it's working out well. There are plenty of manufacturers doing top quality small Cs at varying prices on the Sprinter chassis that are worth investigating.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
wehave a leisure travel van on the sprinter chassis and love it. I,d google sprinters for sale and see whats there. ours has the mercedes benz 5cyc engine. we like 20 mpg.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Our floor plan probably wouldn't suit you as we have the crow's nest for the main bed and the fold-out couch which will fit two adults and the dinette/bed suitable for two children.

IMHO, we observe that with the main bed in the rear, then the storage door opens under the bed from outside. We like our floor pland because both sides have large windows and the other floor plans have a tiny kitchen window on the right, which belies the model name VIEW.

We bought used and its our first RV. The 6 cylinder 3 liter turbo diesel has been really good with decent power and MPG.

Itasca and Navion are Winnebago names and are almost exactly the same thing.

Newer versions than ours have bigger towing capacity but we are fine with what we have.

Don't forget that the M-B specs on all the fluids, etc are important from a warrantee perspective.

M-B Spec list

Anytime you have children you will have problems here just as much as anywhere else. In particular we have faucets left on by the grandkids because we turn the water pump off, then when we turn it on we get minor flooding.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.