cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

used RV - carfax shows driven 50,000 miles in one year

mcmfrv
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I have a sale pending on an 2004 Class C Ford E350. We were a bit worried with the high mileage (133,000), but the engine sounded great when it was turned on. We came home and ran a carfax on it and found that it was driven 50,000 miles from June 2013 to June 2014.

Now, we are really worried about the miles. Any advice?

Thanks for your help. We are excited about getting into the RV life with our two boys!
44 REPLIES 44

mcmfrv
Explorer
Explorer
We only put down a refundable deposit. We are going back today to look at it and talk about how to get a mechanic to look at it.

I am not sure how to read tire codes. I'll start investigating that next. Thanks.

Some of the appliances seem to be the same that my father-in-law has in his camper which made us feel good to.

Also, we were told that we would have 30 days to bring it back should anything not work..I think we would like to get that in writing.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Travelaire Class C 22ft built on a Ford E350 chassis with 133,000 miles.

I have never heard of Travelaire MH's so googled it to see what one looked like and I think this is your ad that came up! has 133,000 miles on it!

http://www.rvusa.com/rvs/2004/travelaire-travelaire-tc220-hms-class-c-used-west-chester-pennsylvania...

http://www.rvusa.com/rv-directory/alberta/travelaire-canada-4371

I hope all the inside parts/appliances you might need are comparable to the ones sold here in the US. These RV's are made in Canada.

Best of luck. It likes nice. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you know how to read the tire codes? Having a lot of tread on them does not insure they are safe. I replaced the tires on my coach because of their age and if you measured

the tread depth they had 60% left. It appears you have decided to purchase the coach without having it inspected by a mechanic. Tires alone will set you back 1200 or better.

I hope your purchase works out for the best.

mcmfrv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for everyone who is giving us advice! We absolutely appreciate it!

For those who are interested..

The RV is a 2004 Travelaire Class C 22ft built on a Ford E350 chassis with 133,000 miles.

The price was 15,995, we have agreed to pay $13,995.

There were 3 owners...I don't believe it was a rental. No maintenance records that we know of.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
mcmfrv wrote:
My husband and I have a sale pending on an 2004 Class C Ford E350. We were a bit worried with the high mileage (133,000), but the engine sounded great when it was turned on. We came home and ran a carfax on it and found that it was driven 50,000 miles from June 2013 to June 2014.

Thanks for your help. We are excited about getting into the RV life with our two boys!

What are they asking for it?

If you can tell us most of us here will be able to tell you if it's too high priced compared to what you COULD buy for the same price.

If this is your first RV you looked at you might not know that you might be paying way to high a price for a MH with that many miles.And something the salesman is hoping for.

In today's market there are thousands of RV's out there for sale that are newer and with much lower miles for incredibly low prices.

Would hate to see you get burned on your new RV'ing experience you are embarking on.

As mentioned in one of the reply's it may drive great but all those parts that need replacement as a coach gets those kind of miles on it could spring up on you each and every time you hit the road.

I know I sell most of my vehicles right before it does come time to start replacing worn parts.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
Just as an added consideration. Are you going to be able to adequately road test it, right now? You are about to have winter, I would think. Also, assuming you are going to purchase, if you have a CC that provides for a doubling of a warranty on any item purchased using the CC, do that. Then you'll have 60 days, rather than 30.

Gary Haupt

Good luck with that. Get a photo of the sales managers face when you tell him you will be paying for your RV with a CC. :E

Most credit card companies ding the merchant around 3% so look for that fee to be hidden somewhere in the deal.

:B

I bought mine with my Master Card Gold...$40,000.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. Agree with the others about getting a professional inspection. Keep in mind a few other things. Whatever RV you decide to purchase, check the DOT dates on the tires. They should be replaced about every six years, no matter how good the tread looks. This could add to your purchase costs. Also, carefully look around any openings inside the RV (windows, vents) and push on the areas around the openings to check for leaks and rot. While there, do a sniff test in several areas checking for mildew. Does the unit have a generator? When was it last run? Most gens. are recommended to be run one to two hours each month. Based on the info on these forums, 150K on the engine is not much of a concern if it was maintained properly. Good luck with your search. Bob

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
mcmfrv wrote:

Have it checked by a good mechanic. What I don't understand here is you were concerned with the mileage to start with but after a carfax report you are worried that it had 50K put on it in just the last year. Its still the same mileage it had in the beginning and evidently has done very well the last year on the road.
Some type of work has been done or their would be no Carfax report. Also keep in mind in my business I have seen more than one incorrect report from Carfax.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like O,, yellers reply best.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Most V10's and the 5.4 are good for 250,000 -300,000 miles. But there is a lot of other items that OP doesn't list or doesn't know to look for. For instance what is CCC versus scale weight?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
Some good advice here...

First thing is to have a mechanic check it out... He'll load test the electrical system, check the genset, pull the oil pan and check for shavings, etc.

Also, the heck with 30 days, you're coming into winter. If the dealer believes in the unit, he'll give you a mileage warranty. Say, 6,000 miles over what it currently has on the odometer, or six months.

What did carfax say about how many owners there were, and were any of them rental companies? If it was a rental, there WILL be service records.

Good luck, whatever you decide!
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best advice you have gotten is to have a mechanic check it out. I know quite a bit about autos and yet when I bought my last RV I paid the $250 and had both the chassis and house inspected by a qualified shop. It was the best $250 I spent. They found a few minor problems which I could negotiate into the purchase or budget to fix later but I knew where any problem lay.

133,000 isn't terminal on a V10 but those miles are also on all the other parts in the chassis and house. A cab AC failure could run $1,000. Shocks, tires, tie rod ends, brakes, ball joints are all possibly worn and may need servicing soon in addition to a transmission.

If you had maintenance records that showed that the trans fluid was changed every 30K and oil was changed regularly, and tune-up was done prior to 100K, and ABS fluid was changed along with antifreeze and other fluids, then it might be worth taking a chance. Without records, assume it all wasn't done and stay away from this unit.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
You did not mention what the unit is, and how much they are asking for it.
Have you checked NADA? have you shopped private party sales? In other words are you sure, it is that great of a deal?

133k is getting up there, How many miles will you drive it a year? how long will you keep it? All things to think about. Every thing breaks, nothing runs forever.

Worse thing broken down 2k miles from home, waiting to get it fixed. You are at the mercy of a shop you don't know.

In my life experience, I have found it is often better to spend more up front for something newer and with less wear and tear, than to try and go cheap.

Most every time I have gone cheap it has ended badly. My two cents

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
It is getting close to the end of the year, that means that the new models are out and the ones from this year have to be moved out, we purchased ower unit the 22nd of December of 2001, and the factory had a discount of 15% plus the dealler had a 30% discount, we ended paying 55% of the original price on a new unit, this unit came with an awning, generator and on to of that the dealer threw in a bunch of other things, a blue sewer hose with a transparent adapter, and a bag of Lego type blocks to level the rv.

Get the VIN number located left side ot windshield window, go to the police and ask who the previos owner was if they say rental company or private citizen you have at least an idea, they will not tell you the name of the rental or the private party but you will gain some leverage on the price.

Do have tyhe unit checked by a mechanic that you trust.

navegator

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
garyhaupt wrote:
Just as an added consideration. Are you going to be able to adequately road test it, right now? You are about to have winter, I would think. Also, assuming you are going to purchase, if you have a CC that provides for a doubling of a warranty on any item purchased using the CC, do that. Then you'll have 60 days, rather than 30.

Gary Haupt

Good luck with that. Get a photo of the sales managers face when you tell him you will be paying for your RV with a CC. :E

Most credit card companies ding the merchant around 3% so look for that fee to be hidden somewhere in the deal.

:B