cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using hydraulic bottle jacks for leveling

ricelake922
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I have 1996 Monaco Dynasty 40'. For reasons I won't get into now...the automatic levelers are not working right now and probably won't be fixed for the rest of this year. I was wondering if I can use hydraulic bottle jacks to level the RV while we are staying places and if yes...where is the best place to place them? Thank you in advance.
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yup. but they are working without buckling on my 26,000 pound (13 ton) motor home so I'm not worried.. The wheels are all still on the ground.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Since my RV's hydraulics do not work properly, in fact one jack is missing entierly, That is how I level.. HOWEVER.. A suggestion.

I have found the bottle jacks tend to "Leak" a bit (internally, not externally) so they do not hold well, Oh for short periods (Like changing a tire) they are OK, but for long periods (Days of camping) they will not hold.

So, I pump 'em up past level, then lower 'em down onto a set of nice jack stands.. My stands are six ton (rear) and 2 ton (Front) which is overkill (though I( need the SIZE of the six ton jobs on the rear) all sitting on lumber to give 'em a better (bigger)"Footprint" but they do not "leak" being as there is nothign to leak.. Nice Soild Mechnical latch

Also the stands cost less than 4 Jacks would

See precautions above regarding making sure you jack on the frame. Stand under it too (jack stand that is)

Do bear in mind that most jack stands (and, for that matter, most ramps for oil changes) are rated per pair. Each jack stand in a "6 ton" jack stand set is rated to support 3 tons on its own.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since my RV's hydraulics do not work properly, in fact one jack is missing entierly, That is how I level.. HOWEVER.. A suggestion.

I have found the bottle jacks tend to "Leak" a bit (internally, not externally) so they do not hold well, Oh for short periods (Like changing a tire) they are OK, but for long periods (Days of camping) they will not hold.

So, I pump 'em up past level, then lower 'em down onto a set of nice jack stands.. My stands are six ton (rear) and 2 ton (Front) which is overkill (though I( need the SIZE of the six ton jobs on the rear) all sitting on lumber to give 'em a better (bigger)"Footprint" but they do not "leak" being as there is nothign to leak.. Nice Soild Mechnical latch

Also the stands cost less than 4 Jacks would

See precautions above regarding making sure you jack on the frame. Stand under it too (jack stand that is)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a good eye for level, stack wood under your current jacks and then drop the air on the coach.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

jtfcons
Explorer
Explorer
Ed C wrote:
I would put them right under the built-in jacks.

NO!
The pads for the leveling jacks are normally a swiveling plate to compensate for unlevel surfaces. Placing a jack at this point will not be a secure or stable point. Better to find a location on the frame or under axles. JMHO.
John & Sharon, 2 Daughters, 2 Sons-in-law, 5 GK, 1GGK
Rat Terriers (Twiggy, Annie)
1997 HR Imp., 38CDS, 1 Slide
325 Cummins C8.3Mech., MD3060, EBw/Coast.Sw.,
Toad-2003 GMC Envoy 4X4, Excallibar TB, Pressure Pro TPMS, Henderson Mot. Ctrl. Units

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Harbor Freight will probably have the least expensive bottle jacks.

There's a reason for that. I'd get mine from NAPA

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
The non-functioning jacks would make a good lift point but a 40' coach is going to be difficult considering the potential weight in the neighborhood of 30k lbs. if not more. My gas coach tops out at 18K lbs. which is a bit easier to work with. Wheel leveling might be a better option.

Before I install a hydraulic system I leveled with two jack stands and a bottle jack all 12 ton. Only needed three (stands and jack) since you want to keep at least one rear firmly planted for the brakes. No bleed down from the jack. Found them at Northern Tool for under $100.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only in Canada.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
I have Harbor Freight chinese jacks and they all leak down about an inch per hour. Much easier to simply pull up on boards like the old days.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

Yes , you can use hydraulic bottle jacks for leveling.. Just make sure your ON THE FRAME... like stated above , place them under the existing jack feet that do not work . . .

I used 4 of them on my TT for years with good results
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
I would put them right under the built-in jacks.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Harbor Freight will probably have the least expensive bottle jacks.
Your hydraulic jacks may be a simple fix. If you throw the switch and you hear nothing, it is probably electrical, and could be as simple as a blown fuse. If you hear the pump running and nothing happens, then it may be a switching valve and a little more complicated, but still not that difficult to trace and fix.