Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vibrations on 92 Fleetwood - P30

Augustin
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

I need some help and advices about an issue...
I've been travelling along Canada for 6 month, with my a class 92 Fleetwood flair.
I'm actually near Vancouver and was supposed to cross the country back to Quebec today but i have a serious problem and not sure if I can continue my travel.

Since one week, when I'm driving above approx 45MPH, it start to vibrate a lot. (I have the feeling that the vibration is all around the house and driving place).
I was thinking about a wrong balanced tire but i replaced the two front tires about 1 month ago. (and balanced obviously) -> And everything was right with the driving after.

The interesting fact is, at the exact moment where i stop to press the gas pedal -> It stop to vibrate.
While driving, I put the gear in neutral and there is no vibration, even when i press the gas pedal (still in neutral).
So I'm thinking about the transmission, because I have this vibration only during driving with a gear on.

To give you more info, while cruising around 60mph it doesn't feel safe to drive like this...
I have absolutely no idea of what can cause that...

Here are some info about the rig : Fleetwood Flair 26 feet, 1992, GM 454 7.4L, Chassis P30.

If anyone get an idea of what to check, I will really appreciate your help.

Many thanks in advance to the RV community .

Cheers. Augustin (Sorry if there is some mistake in the message, English is not my first language...)
11 REPLIES 11

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Bruce_Brown
The part missing is called the grease fitting.

I highly doubt the previous owner broke it, it most likely either got knocked off, came loose and fell out, or broke when the U-joint went.

As far as changing the other ones, as long as they're smooth and taking grease I wouldn't change them, but that's your call.

I'm glad you're back on the road.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Augustin
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone was right, the rear U-joint was completely worn out ! -> Dry and almost no needle inside.
The lubrication point (if we can say that, I don't know th exact term), was broken. Surely the previous owner who broke it and did not replace the u-joint...
The front one and center bearing were excellent, I just greased them properly. (I preferred to replace them all, but the mecanics who helped me say that thas was fine, but I will change them when I will get back home).

Anyway, I'm back on track with a quiet and no vibration drive.
So once again, many many thanks for your help !!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Please keep us updated when you find the problem.

Bruce_Brown
Add another vote for driveshaft/U joint.

And another good job on the English!
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

lamont
Explorer
Explorer
is it the steering wheel that shakes or the whole RV? you might have thrown a wheel weight, maybe a out of round Tire or weight too,on the rear.
richie
2020 Thor Class "C"
Lifetime Good Sam
navy lifer
Viginia

Augustin
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

Fantastic to seem so many answer !

I will check what you've said tomorrow morning with better light than tonight and keep you updated ๐Ÿ™‚

Augustin

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You can take it for a short drive of 10-15 miles, then crawl under, the defective area will be much warmer.
Look at u-joints for rust tracking.
I would take the complete drive line out and replace all the joints and support bering even if only one appears to be bad.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
I'll second the drive shaft. I wish the kids around here were as good with their English, as a first language.

X3! Sounds like a center support or a U-joint. Crawl under the RV, put your hand on the drive shaft and shake it back and forth, then up and down at the front, in the center, then at the rear. Now you know where the problem(s) is. (the shaft will have play in it at the bad joint) Fix it now. It will only get worse until it fails and you are on the side of the road trying to locate whats left of your now bent up driveshaft.

Chum lee

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second the drive shaft. I wish the kids around here were as good with their English, as a first language.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Check the center drive line support.
Center support
Better English then many!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow