cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wallowing Beast

BOBS66440
Explorer
Explorer
My new to me RV runs and drives well, but definitely feels wallowy, overloaded and top-heavy. It's somewhat unnerving to drive, though once on the open road it seems fine. I have never driven one of these before and my buddy (who has) says generally, that's just the way they are. I used to have a CDL and have driven big trucks before but this is very mushy compared. The shocks and springs are good I think. It has a front anti sway bar and the bushings are good but it does not have a rear anti sway bar. I have seen aftermarket rear bars and am wondering if this is an improvement that will make a difference? Thanks!

48 REPLIES 48

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Consider how you are loading it. Lightweight stuff goes high, heavy stuff goes low. Water tank is low - is it full? That might help.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
RV's are heavy and top heavy with stiff rear springs. Some claim much better handling and ride with costly after-market improvements. You will get recommendations on stabilizer bars, alignment changes, air bags, springs, etc.
This is a common subject, read the pertinent "stickies" and use search for many relevant threads.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
A rear sway bar will make a lot of difference in the way it handles and will help in the sway and leaning. Also check the shocks,a good set of Bilsteins really will help too.

My Chevy based Class C has front and rear sway bars and a new set of Bilsteins and handles well.Others of the same year that were not built on a Workhorse Chassis,they didn't come with rear sway bars,did have a problem of control.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you weighed the rig? Four corner plus front and back.
What tire pressure are you running?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker