cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanna bring a golf cart and a Jeep towed

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
We're selling our vacation home in SW Fla and plan on using our Challenger for future vacations of a month to 6 weeks. I'm thinking I might want to buy a golf cart to bring along with my Jeep towed. Is there a way to do this? Maybe something to put the golf cart on and then hook up the Jeep.
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
46 REPLIES 46

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
My 2017 Wrangler JKU weighs 4940 on the CAT scale.

You must have some aftermarket stuff added - stock weight for the JKU is around 4400 lbs...

Fuel and a couple of folding bikes and hard top. Don't know what the brochure/internet says but I do know what it scaled out on the CAT.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
My 2017 Wrangler JKU weighs 4940 on the CAT scale.

You must have some aftermarket stuff added - stock weight for the JKU is around 4400 lbs...
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
hohenwald48 wrote:
Lot of folks with a lot of ideas that ignore weight and towing capacity. My 2017 Wrangler JKU weighs 4940 on the CAT scale. I imagine a Rubicon is probably more. On just about every gas motorhome, once you hook up a 4940 pound Jeep you're out of tow capacity and there's no way to haul more.

If I were to change out the hitch on mine I could tow 2k more lbs. my CCC is 4K lbs.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Lot of folks with a lot of ideas that ignore weight and towing capacity. My 2017 Wrangler JKU weighs 4940 on the CAT scale. I imagine a Rubicon is probably more. On just about every gas motorhome, once you hook up a 4940 pound Jeep you're out of tow capacity and there's no way to haul more.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

mdanielson55
Explorer
Explorer
ihave a cricket golf cart and it is smaller than a regular cart it will fit in all truck beds and and will fit in most suvs it fits in on of my bays the 4 door jeeps it will fit in

Ken_C
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
RJL wrote:
We're selling our vacation home in SW Fla and plan on using our Challenger for future vacations of a month to 6 weeks. I'm thinking I might want to buy a golf cart to bring along with my Jeep towed. Is there a way to do this? Maybe something to put the golf cart on and then hook up the Jeep.

double towing is illegal in some states. an enclosed double deck trailer comes to mind but is likely too heavy for the MH chassis to safely tow. may i suggest that before you embark on this plan that you know and thoroughly understand your Damon's various weight ratings (GCWR, GVWR, GAWR as well as the actual rolling weight of your loaded MH and the items you want to tow. your rubicon likely weighs over 4K pounds by itself.

be safe.

Trade your Jeep in for the new Jeep pickup and haul your golf cart in the bed of the Jeep. Likely cheaper than a stacker trailer a a whole lot less weight to haul.
Ken
2018 Newmar Dutchstar
Spartan K2
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
Just for fun I googled "Jeep Gladiator Dimensions" and here's what popped up:

"By the numbers, here's how the Gladiator's bed size measures: The bed floor is 60.3 inches long with the gate closed, the bed width at the tailgate is 56.8 inches, and the gate opening itself is 50 inches wide while the floor between the wheel humps is 44.8 inches wide."

Yep, not something else would want to put a golf cart into. Not too mention that the rear axle is located very far forward. So the golf cart will make it very heavy on the rear axle. Not to mention probably being over the less than 1k lb CCC. I work at a Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram dealer and see them quite often. Not much you can do with the bed other than haul some flowers.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Just for fun I googled "Jeep Gladiator Dimensions" and here's what popped up:

"By the numbers, here's how the Gladiator's bed size measures: The bed floor is 60.3 inches long with the gate closed, the bed width at the tailgate is 56.8 inches, and the gate opening itself is 50 inches wide while the floor between the wheel humps is 44.8 inches wide."
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
The gladiator bed isn't big enough for a golf cart. Golf carts are 8ft long the gladiator bed even with the tailgate down is around 6ft.

Hmmmmmm, here I was hoping that the Jeep was as long as an F150 super crew, since I've hauled them in ours. The bed on the Ford is around 5ft with the gate closed and with it open the back wheels sit on it, just about right. Maybe a sheet of 3/4 plywood, would make up the difference.
So you're saying that you've actually tried putting a golf cart in the bed of a Gladiator?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some MH's on gen F53 chassis have a very high CCC. Mine is 4k lbs. i on,y use about 2k of that. If you replace the hitch with a higher rated version and stay under your Ratings you could safely bring a golf cart and a car. You just have to do your homework on the ratings.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, didn't take into account the towing limit of that chassis. We have a 2017 F-53 with the larger chassis, recently bought a Gladiator and plan on filling the bed up with toys to drag along.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
RJL wrote:
Well Thank you all for the spot on advise. @Dale.Traveling thanks for the heads up. The cricket mini golf cart has me intrigued. That may be deal moving forward.

Thanks again.

Bob

Seen pics of a Cricket folded up and in the back of a Honda CR-V. Not sure how you could bring it along and tow the Wrangler. Maybe the swivel wheel platform on the Wrangle. At 300 lbs shouldn't be a problem. Cricket
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

RJL
Explorer
Explorer

Spot on summary . . . which has unfortunately been pretty much ignored. I'm guessing OP has disappeared for good.

Don't know why you'd think I've "disappeared for good". I just posted this last night.

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Well Thank you all for the spot on advise. @Dale.Traveling thanks for the heads up. The cricket mini golf cart has me intrigued. That may be deal moving forward.

Thanks again.

Bob

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:

The Damon is a nice coach but the F53 it's built on is pretty much limited to 5K lbs towing and maybe even less depending on which chassis model. Your at 4,500 lbs for the Jeep add in potentially 1500 lbs for a light trailer and golf cart puts you beyond the chassis limits. Trailing the Jeep and golf cart will put you well beyond the limits of the chassis.

Spot on summary . . . which has unfortunately been pretty much ignored. I'm guessing OP has disappeared for good.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs