cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning about lights next to kids' bunks

OldBlackWater
Explorer
Explorer
This is a word of warning especially for those who have motorhomes with bunk beds with lights on the wall. Keep pillows and other items away from the 12V lights or they will melt and could cause a fire. One of my kids had the light on, then leaned a pillow against it, then left. Some time later, we discovered the pillow with burn marks on it and the plastic light cover had a 1.5" hole melted through. The entire light fixture stunk like burning plastic so I had to remove the whole thing, cut and cover the wires, and tape over the hole before the bed could be used again.

Thank goodness that no one was hurt and that a fire didn't start and spread elsewhere. I had put a few LED bulbs in some of my light fixtures for dry camping but should have changed that one, too, since they don't heat up nearly as much as the standard 12V bulbs.
Steve -- Murphy, TX

2011 Fleetwood Storm 32BH (2011 Ford F-53 V10)
2013 Ford C-Max Energi with ReadyBrake
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, cute decorative lights in the shapes of peppers and RVs, one lovely wife, and three kids
7 REPLIES 7

lostdog
Explorer
Explorer
Hondavalk wrote:
Switch out lamps to LED's

LEDs are the answer.
Chuck n Terri
2017 Heartland 3875FB
2016 Chevy 3500 Duramax
Rica, the old cat
Max E. Dog, the puppy dog
Kirby, the old dog, passed but not forgotten

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My ceiling fixtures really burned the ceiling around the fixture and did a hugh number on the ceiling lens over a period of around one years of use. This was my first change-out over to LED panels for those fixtures... All of that heat generated is good representation of DC POWER being consumed... I think the overall savings is around 80% changing over to LED lights for the same brightness...

Glad nothing serious happened to kid's bunk beds - definitely time to change out the HOT automotive type bulbs
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Switch out lamps to LED's

robertbenita
Explorer
Explorer
Great post! This happened in our camper many years ago with the old fashioned bulbs and a careless placement of a pillow/blanket. We were lucky too with only a melted light cover and nothing else.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I've even had the lens of a fixture outside the entry melt on one of our TT when we left it on all night.

LED is good.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

OldBlackWater
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure it's a standard incandescent 1156 bayonet bulb, same as what's in just about every other fixture in my RV. It looks like the one in this link: http://www.bulbs.com/product/1156B2

The heat usually dissipates and isn't an issue, but the pillow trapped all the heat and got hot enough to burn the plastic light covers.
Steve -- Murphy, TX

2011 Fleetwood Storm 32BH (2011 Ford F-53 V10)
2013 Ford C-Max Energi with ReadyBrake
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, cute decorative lights in the shapes of peppers and RVs, one lovely wife, and three kids

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
It was probably a small halogen bulb that will get very hot.