cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water heater

Tande12506
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 10 gallon Surburban heater that does not heat the water as hot as it does on gas. Showering on electric only only requires the hot water valve to be opened. When on gas it operates with both hot and cold open. Is there an adjustment that could be made or does the control require replacement. Thank you in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

Tande12506
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for the superb information. I will dig into it today.
Tom

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just be very careful when changing them. The wires are routed behind the sheet metal face and the edges are very sharp. Cutting the wires is easy to do.

Tande12506
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the quick reply. I was hoping that there were two thermostats.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
The thermostat for the electric side can be out of spec and opening too soon. They're cheap, I'd replace it as a first step.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Suburban water heater uses 2 separate sets of t-stats....(under rubber cover 'Push to Reset')
One 120V AC set for electric' (left side---black wiring)
One 12V DC set for propane (right side----red wiring)

OEM both sets are the same temp setting
130*F for normal temp t-stat
180*F for hi temp t-stat

140*F/180*F Optional set available for either electric and propane

120*F/180*F Optional electric only available

If t-stats are OEM (have NOT been replaced) then they are same temp

Electric heating takes LONGER to heat/recover-----1440W element with a 6.2 gal/hr recovery rate

Propane is a 12,000 btu/hr burner with a 10.2 gal/hr recovery rate

Run electric and propane at same time......16.2 gal/hr recovery rate

NOTE:
If t-stat was NOT controlling the heating cycle then temp would go HIGH
If t-stat was faulty then NO heating would occur

IF element is scaled up due to HARD water source then heat transfer could be restricted....but that would just take longer then normal to reach t-stat set point.

So either you are expecting faster recovery with electric, not waiting until full heat cycle has finished or Electric t-stats have been changed out to lower temp set
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If the element is heating the water, it's working. It's more likely the thermostat is faulty. If it was a residential unit I would say it just needs an adjustment but I don't *think* RV WH's have them.

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
it sounds like you need a new heating elament.But the gas side on a norm is aet higher on the therm.

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
it sounds like you need a new heating elament.But the gas side on a norm is aet higher on the therm.