Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water leak inside RV from HVAC running

RV_Hero
Explorer
Explorer
I discovered a cheap and fast solution.
I have a Winnebago 2009 RV, Since I have owned it I have always had a leak inside on humid days and ac running. Service calls have not solved it.
I finally researched and investigated and did it myself. Problem was manufacturers installation. They installed the roof unit tight to the roof. so tight it plugs the drain holes, Solution is simple plastic wedge installed from outside both sides to lift HVAC of roof so drain holes will both work free for condensate water, my pan is dry as a bone now. I also have pictures, How can I post this?
9 REPLIES 9

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
duplicate
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
RV Hero wrote:
you are right. it is fixed and no leaks from anything, gasket would be great if manufacture fixed it but they won't. and why should I spend $500 for someone to remove unit and put new gasket? Thanks anyways
:E

Or you could replace the $20 gasket yourself.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
We had same problem -- water dripping from A/C. Tech diagnosed overly squished gasket and replaced it. problem solved, but water had entered the roof and front.
David and Dayle

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Roof A/C is generally not centered over the hole, but rather, offset, so there is a good overhang of the heaviest part of the unit, aft of the hole. Usually, there are two or more rubber blocks, the same fairly dense material the gasket is made from, glued to the bottom of the A/C. If these blocks are not present, the heavy overhang will sag and can touch the roof. It sounds like the OP installed wedges to space the unit up level, like the original rubber blocks would have. They must be missing.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

RV_Hero
Explorer
Explorer
you are right. it is fixed and no leaks from anything, gasket would be great if manufacture fixed it but they won't. and why should I spend $500 for someone to remove unit and put new gasket? Thanks anyways

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
We can all tell him he has a bad gasket but he won't listen because he FIXED IT :S

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:
I don't think new users can post pictures. However you can upload your pictures to a hosting site like imgur.com and then post a link to the pictures.

As far as the leak, I like the ingenuity, but I would be concerned about the lifted AC unit now letting rain water in. You might try getting a new AC gasket and replacing the squashed one. A new gasket is 1 inch thick and when you install it you only tighten it down to compress about 1/2 inch. This will give you a good seal joint and also give the drain holes clearance.

Gasket

THIS^^^^
2009 gasket----overtightened/crushed
Skims are not the answer

New gasket is 1" thick and should be compressed about 1/2"....that is for new one.

The hold down bolts should be 'snug'.......so what is 'snug'?
Hand tighten then 1/4 turn with wrench.

Torque.....20 INCH Pounds (Notice: That's INCH Pounds not foot pounds). Very few folks have and know how to use an INCH torque wrench so that is why 'Just SNUG'

New versions of gasket have plastic tabs....just tighten until tabs touch
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RV_Hero
Explorer
Explorer
One more note, I took my garden hose and sprayed water around unit like a rain storm would and had no leaks inside. Did not want to solve one problem and end up with a different one.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I don't think new users can post pictures. However you can upload your pictures to a hosting site like imgur.com and then post a link to the pictures.

As far as the leak, I like the ingenuity, but I would be concerned about the lifted AC unit now letting rain water in. You might try getting a new AC gasket and replacing the squashed one. A new gasket is 1 inch thick and when you install it you only tighten it down to compress about 1/2 inch. This will give you a good seal joint and also give the drain holes clearance.

Gasket
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup