cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WD40 staining?

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone ever had staining on side of coach? Sprayed awning brackets last night. Just got back from road and noticed spots. Tried to rub off with water with no success.
3 REPLIES 3

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
Been using it for over 40 years on boats, aircraft, and RV's, and never had it stain a solid surface. I use it on the campers to remove tar and road grease from the front. So far it hasn't hurt either the aluminum or the fiberglass.
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had it stain, but you never know with some finishes. Also it could be carrying grease or dirt from the brackets to the finish. Try rubbing out the stain with some cleaner/wax. I'd do it sooner rather than later.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
WD40 contains solvents, it can damage paint and various coatings. Water displacement formula #40 isn't just a straight lubrication oil.

That said, I've never had it damage the finish on any of my cars (used for freeze protection in locks,) but could be an RV is painted in a different way?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed