cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weird headlight problem (Resolved)

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I have an unusual problem with my high beam headlights flashing. My equipment is 1994 Allegro Bus, diesel pusher. I have four headlights and when driving at night my last couple of trips, every now and then when driving with my brights, they go off for a few seconds and then come on for a few seconds. It's not like a loose wire because it is so consistent on the timing and rough or smooth road makes no difference. The dash lights, clearance and tail lights also go off at same time as the headlights and they come back on with the brights. With just the dim lights, there is never a problem.

I got a little excited the first time it happened. I was out in the country on the highway in a driving rain, no ambient light anywhere, driving about 60 MPH and suddenly NO LIGHTS. After a couple of seconds and braking pretty hard, I hit the dimmer switch and all was well. I originally thought the rain caused the problem but it still happens every now and then and it's been months since the first time it happened.

Now I'm thinking the headlight switch itself may be the culprit. I guess since all lights that go off work from the headlight switch itself, it's the logical common part in which to look. I thought I'd ask if anyone has ever encountered a similar problem before replacing parts that may not resolve the problem. OH, I haven't found a headlight relay, but if that were the problem, I wouldn't think the tail lights and clearance lights would go off.

HELP!!! Anyone????
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C
19 REPLIES 19

I had a simular problem (no fun when the lights go out and its dark) I replaced the light switch and it was fine for awhile then it happened once more. Then I replaced the switch and rewired ALL the lights through relays. That was several years ago and it hasn't happened since. BUT--I tow a trailer and maybe the extra lights contributed to the problem.

APRSRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Usually, but not always,the circuit breaker for the headlights is in the headlight switch.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Some rigs have a relay that operates the lights. The switch acts as a control circuit to the relays.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
It sounds like a self resetting circuit breaker tripping and resetting....

I haven't thought of that and I know I have several of them. Some in one of the bays and others up front in the genset area (hood). It's a start........
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like a self resetting circuit breaker tripping and resetting....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad