Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter engine

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
Considering a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter.
What sort of routine maintenance is recommended? Like oil changes. What would be a ballpark cost for such maintenance?

Thank you

Ed
๐Ÿ™‚
24 REPLIES 24

kendall69
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the ONE Source for 2007 oil specs from Mercedes. No other should be used, no matter what others say. LOW ASH 229.51 NEEDS TO BE USED.

Oil Specs

This is what I use and it's AMAZING. AMSOIL EUROPEAN CAR FORMULA 5W40
Owned (1) Class A (2) class C (1) truck camper looking at a Class (B)
New proud Owner of a 2014 Phoenix Cruiser 2400

Old_Crows
Explorer
Explorer
NAPA carries Liqui-Molly 5w40 229.51 ...... USUALLY on the shelf. Also Hengist & Mann filters.
Old Crows

2014 View Profile
2010 Four Winds Ventura
2005 Trail-Lite C-17 Hybrid TT

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I think you really should go with whatever is spec'd in your owners manual. Personally I wouldn't trade between grades as we did 60 years ago. Oils are much better now.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Is that synthetic and, is 5w40 better for stressful hill climbing and hot weather?

bar_20
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 5 cyl engine. It's a 2007 Roadtrek on a 2006 Freightliner chassis. Shell Rotella T 15-40w is a recommended oil for this engine. The 2007 and on 6 cyl. uses a different spec like you said. If you have the 5 cyl engine the Rotella T oil is ok to use.
Steve & Donalee
2007 Roadtrek RS-Adventurous
2011 KIA Sportage SX
1999 Jaguar XK8 convertible
1948 MG TC
2005 PT Cruiser convertible Toad

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Am I correct that everybody is using Synthetic oil for oil changes. Other question: When I go South from moderate temps here, which is better for high temperatures and lots of hilly climbing: 5w30 or 5w40 synthetic? Thanks.
AL

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Got my oil and filter from Amazon at reasonable cost. See thread here:

http://forums.goodsamclub.com/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27502705/gotomsg/27512305.cfm#27512305
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
bobo ,yep , and we love it.

Ours too. 2006 Pleasureway Plateau TS(with I-5) and 2007 interior build with corian,leather etc. We love ours and camp for a week or two on trips.
greetings
AL

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
gdoug83 wrote:
More information than you may want. The complete list shows all operating fluids if you are interested in doing more of your maintenance.

Just so we don't confuse the OP too much, most of the oils on the list are not available in North America. Kinda hit & miss what you can find here at reasonable prices.
Also, you can use 5w-30 in the 229.51 spec engines, but again it's very hard to find it vs the 5w-40.
Stick with Valvoline, Mobil 1 or Fuchs, and you'll be good to go
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

gdoug83
Explorer
Explorer
More information than you may want. The complete list shows all operating fluids if you are interested in doing more of your maintenance.
Doug
2010 RT RS Adventurous
Sprinter 3500

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I don't mean to veer too off-topic, but I've read that an oil evacuation pump is a wise thing to use as well. The reason for this is because it would not just remove the oil from the crankcase, but the sludge on the bottom that wouldn't come out with just the normal oil drain. In fact, some European cars don't even have a bottom drain plug anymore, because the maker assumes the vehicle will be maintained with a vacuum pump.

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
Catch that oil, whatever brand you decide on, on sale somewhere, or checkout Europarts SD as they sell oil change kits that contain the right amount with Mann or Hengst filters. I get all my stuff except the cabin air filter at Amazon.
Just be sure when you do change that oil to not put all the oil in at once. I do 12.5 qts, run it for a couple minutes, shut down, let sit for at least 5 minutes, then top off. Just don't overfill or it will give you a warning light. I try to keep the level right in the middle of the 2 marks on the dipstick
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I found the M-B spec 229.51 and found the following oils suitable for our rig:

Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-40 5-L $52.25 (no dealer close to me)

Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 6-Q $52.22 Amazon Free ship $8.70/Qt

Pentosynth HC 5W-40

Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 229.51 6-Q $45.85 Amazon Free ship $7.64/Qt

Ardeca 5W-40 3x5 Liter 15-L $108.00 Amazon $19.49 ship $8.50/Lt
(made in Belgium for M-B)

Canvassing the stores in my area the only one I found was the Mobil 1 ESP, 1-Q bottles only, at $12.79 ea plus tax.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Thanx for that. I suspected the Fram might not be appropriate and I have a list of 29 filters I'm trying to check out.

I didn't know about that DPF filter. I never saw anything about that in the manuals. Yes, I read the manuals, and extensively.

OK, so I can take the Rotella T back and return/exchange it - no problem there.

Returned both the filter and the oil and ordered the correct filter (Mann HU 871 X) and oil (Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-40 : MB 229.51) from Amazon.