cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What GPS ?

09Sam
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a RV Class A specific GPS unit to replace the factory one in my coach. What do you all use and how reliable are they as to routes and information, etc.? Thanks...
2012 Tuscany 42RQ
DW, mini Dachshunds - Emma,Lexi,and Murphy
29 REPLIES 29

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
gasguzler wrote:
Ck this one out too

Garmin NUVI 2797 is a nice option too and for a little less $.

X2. My previous Garmin 5" 1490T died. I called Garmin tech support. Since the 1490 was out of warranty I was offered a choice: a refurbished 1490 for $120 or $120 off any new model. I chose the 2797 for $159, it was brand new in the box. I was going to get the RV760 for $279 but I add my own points of interest which gives me almost the same features for free.

Only complaint is sun glare on the screen. Sometimes it is a little difficult so see. All the other features work as advertised. This is my third Garmin. Still have and occasionally use my 2006 C340.

gasguzler
Explorer
Explorer
Ck this one out too

Garmin NUVI 2797 is a nice option too and for a little less $.

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one of these last year from CW at the Good Sam Rally in Syracuse, NY. Nice unit and is geared toward RV use. Of course, it can also be used for cars etc. as well. Pretty nice unit with a large screen and nice features. If I had to find any negative, it would be that the voice commands don't seem to be quite as clear as my old Garmin was.

Good Sam GPS 7" RVND7725 Powered by Rand McNally

BTW, It's on (internet) sale now for $50.00 LESS than what I paid. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
just bought a nice handheld, garmin GPSmap 62s on sale at bass pro shops for $199.99.
bumpy

aboeck3
Explorer
Explorer
I "upgraded" to the RM 7720 from a garmin - love the RM!!!! New coach has the same unit built-in.
Al & Jane - RETIRED
(Nico, Smudge & Boo - Cocker Spaniels)
2017 Winnebago Journey 42E with 2013 Honda CR-V toad & 2 bicycles (just in case)
Dreams Do Come True

Disneyfix
Explorer
Explorer
Bump, looking for gps as well.

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
I have about a dozen GPS units. We buy them for all our trucks. Garmin is the most accurate and with the 'lifetime maps' option is the way to go. Personally I have the DEZL 760 and use it between the RV and SUV. It has three settings, Truck, RV and Car. Enter your weight, width, length in the RV settings and it does a pretty good job of routing. A couple things I've found is that even updating regularly not all streets and bridges are caught. We have a bridge near home that has been replaced, about 8 years ago that is now a heavy weight that used to be restricted. I still get warnings. In other words, PAY ATTENTION!

The only bad thing about the DEZL is that it takes some time to recalculate your course.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
09Sam wrote:
Thanks all for the information. Guess I will see which ones have the options I would like and back it up with an atlas. Thanks.

just remember that those "lifetime" updates, according to one article, are really only good for a few years that the device is supported, so update early and often, I think you can do it 3 times a year???
bumpy

09Sam
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the information. Guess I will see which ones have the options I would like and back it up with an atlas. Thanks.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ
DW, mini Dachshunds - Emma,Lexi,and Murphy

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
maanpaontheroad wrote:
We have had 3 different brands, we are back to Garvin and will not sway again.
Not saying the others are bad but Garvin is top on our list.

X2. Had a RVND 5510 and I had a lot of problems with it. Now have a Garmin DZL and love it.
2013 ACE 29.2

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
The thing I like about the TomTom specifically is that they collect data from the user (from the actual GPS unit) review it for accuracy and then publish it hours later as an update. It's called "MapShare" and your TomTom can be updated nightly if you want to. TomTom also has a nightly update called GPS HotFix that helps the GPS unit locate the satellites and lock onto them.

You're able to make map corrections "on the fly" and they are instantly uploaded to TomTom, verified and offered back to the entire TomTom community - all within hours!!

Whichever unit you choose to go with, it's only as good as the latest updates offered to you or available from the company. You need to keep it updated at least once a month!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

Larry_Sanders
Explorer
Explorer
My Wife gave me The Garmin RV 760LMT for Christmas.
Can't wait to try it out in the next few weeks.
Larry & Jamie Sanders
2008 Born Free
27 RSB

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
n7bsn wrote:
Personally I prefer the user interface of Garmin, which means the Garmin RV 760. The Garmin RV uses the same map base as the Nuvi and Dezl

Garmin 760. You can also get Mexico maps for Mexico which are not available for the Rand

Just to be clear get the RV 760, not the nearly identical Dezl 760. The Dezl is setup for trucking.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
garmin
bumpy