cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what powers the slides?

luggage
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 5th wheel Mountaineer by keystone. Just traded my TAG to get more room. Love the camper and it is in great shape. I have an electrical question that will show how little I understand the electrical system. On my TAG I always had problems with the battery being drained when I forgot to disconnect the battery or pull the inline fuse. So I had a battery disconnect switch installed on my fiver. I went to let out the slides (it was connected to 110 shore power) and I could only get the bedroom slide out. Living area slide would not move. In the storage compartment where the battery is I also have a switch which will move the slides. All I could hear was a clicking sound but the slide would not extend. After thinking about it for some time I wondered about the battery switch. Sure enough it was in the off position. Is it the battery that powers the slide? I would have thought the 110 would have done the job even if the battery was disconnected. Obviously I don't know too much about what powers what. Can someone please help me understand the system?

Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
OP states they have a fiver.
J-Rooster wrote:
Also on some slide outs you need to have the RV engine running to kick in the solenoid that runs the slide motor!
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

luggage
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much for the explanations. I really felt helpless for a while and when I finally did remember the battery switch and the slide worked I was glad but somewhat puzzled. Your answers helps me better understand the "why" and the"why not". Thanks a lot.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Also on some slide outs you need to have the RV engine running to kick in the solenoid that runs the slide motor!

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Your slides are powered from the 12 volt system. You have two sources of 12v power.

The battery can put out a lot of power, but only for a limited time, until it is depleted.

The 12v converter / charger is powered by 110, and provides smaller amounts of 12v power to recharge the battery or run small loads.

So in your case the converter can run the small slide, but you need the battery to supply enough amperage to move the big slide.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
The slide is powered by 12 volts. With the battery switch off the batteries were not in the circuit and the converter does not have enough power to run the slide . That is why just the clicking sound
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie