cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to and not to do with a slideout.

twainharteartis
Explorer
Explorer
Doe's the Motorhome have to be Level when you open the slideout. My Motorhome is a Damon Intruder doe's the slideout stop with and limit switch or a pressure switch?
19 REPLIES 19

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Some slides are built to a very close tolerance to fit, others not as critical.
When you deploy jacks there is a twisting motion to the frame to level the coach to the ground. How far the coach twists depends on your site level.
My close-fitted Entegra slides need to be put out/in relationship to the coach frame, not to ground level.
So every coach lives with a different engineered approach....check the manual.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
twainharteartist wrote:
Doe's the Motorhome have to be Level when you open the slideout. My Motorhome is a Damon Intruder doe's the slideout stop with and limit switch or a pressure switch?

Level is always best. As for max extension, ours seems to have (like they all should have) a current limiting device. Evidently many don't or the shear pins aren't tough enough, since there's miles of thread on sheared slideout pins. As an added note, use the roll type when replacing.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh, this is a lot of help to the poster......NOT!

midnightsadie wrote:
don,t get a slide,, you,ll have no leaks,it won,t get stuck out,, won,t be a pain in the butt,, won,t open as your going down the road. I,ll never have another one. just ain,t worth the hassle.

Now this, on the other hand, is the perfect answer.

Posted By: sailor_lou on 07/21/13 06:41am
As indicated by the many different responses, there are various styles of slide mechanisms and procedures for deploying/retracting them. To ensure you do not create any damage, either contact the manufacturer or find someone with the exact same coach and check their manual. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy
'

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Our Itasca Horizon with HWH levelers and slides says to level first and then the slides and KEEP ENGINE RUNNING when operating the slides and extending levelers. This prevents serious voltage drop to the hydraulic pump motor.

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
As indicated by the many different responses, there are various styles of slide mechanisms and procedures for deploying/retracting them. To ensure you do not create any damage, either contact the manufacturer or find someone with the exact same coach and check their manual. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Some owners manual also state to retract the slide during severe weather. Many also suggest using a manual slide lock to insure the slide stays tight during travel.

regardless of what the manual says or doesn't say about severe weather it is always good practice to do do. we also retract slides in extremely hot or cold weather to reduce the area to be cooled or heated.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

doubleG
Explorer
Explorer
actually my common sense approach is before turning off motor, I manually level according to grren lights on panel, turn off coach, and open slides. Then turn ignition key on and hit the auto leveling and then turn off key and set up.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some owners manual also state to retract the slide during severe weather. Many also suggest using a manual slide lock to insure the slide stays tight during travel.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
twainharteartist wrote:
Kiwi_too wrote:
Many do. You need an owners manual. It tells you exavtly ho to deploy your slides. What year. Maybe someone can help with the owners manual.
It's a 1997 Damon Intruder class A I have a owners manual that I downloaded but doesn't say anything about slide outs.

your best bet is to find a manual for your model that includes info on how to deploy the slides but absent any information to the contrary I would level the MH first, then deploy the slides. you may find you have to tweak the level a bit after deployment. leveling first will help keep the slides from binding.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
don,t get a slide,, you,ll have no leaks,it won,t get stuck out,, won,t be a pain in the butt,, won,t open as your going down the road. I,ll never have another one. just ain,t worth the hassle.

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
My Damon instructions indicate to level first, legs down then slides go out.

The slides stop when they reach the outer wall. If they encounter an obstruction while travelling they stop automaticly. My slides will not move in either direction if the engine is running
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
I won't put my slide out unless I'm pretty level. Why put excess strain on the motor and gears, etc?

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
The slide motor may stop when the slide reaches the end of travel (in or out) which stalls the motor which is sensed by a control board that detects the excess current draw resulting from the motor stall. That method is used by some systems. If you trace the wires from the slide motor to a relay on a circuit board, then that's probably how it works.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
I level before using the slide simply because the levelers only work when the engine is on and the slide only works when the engine is off. :B