cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What type to buy

Dan_B
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are starting to look for a Motorhome,with plans to see our great Country along with spending a month or 2 in Florida in the winter. I would like some input on what type to buy gas or Diesel our budget is around 80,ooo. We would like to take one trip out west to yellowstone and go to the grand canyon. After that I think most of our travels will be short local trips except our trips to Florida. I would be hauling a 3,700 # car behide us.In our price range there are alot of newer Gas motorhomes with the 362 ford engine. The sales person said the newer engines are alot more powerful then the older MH. We are looking in the 32 foot length. Would a gas get us over the mountains if we go out West.If I go with a Diesel I would have to get an older one for our price range and afraid of the potential cost of maintenance for the Diesel and older coach.
6 REPLIES 6

Altern
Explorer
Explorer
Buy your last coach first.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Time spent in the archives of this site will tell you much about which brands to consider and which to avoid. I strongly suggest if you find a unit you want to buy spend some cash and have a qualified, non biast, service3 center check it over. This can save you thousands down the road. Best of luck and have fun
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
if you are doing more sitting than driving, you really have no need for a diesel.
$80,000 will buy you a much nicer/newer gasser than a diesel. as long as you are towing only 3,700 lbs. a gasser will work just fine.
bumpy

rvtommy
Explorer
Explorer
My 2 cents over 36ft. go Dsl. if under 36ft. go gas!!! rvtommy
this is rvtommy

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shop a floor plan first. The lay needs to support your intended life style. Spend as much time as possible without a sales rep in various configurations going thru what your daily routine will be. Is the kitchen big enough for your normal meal prep? Does the bathroom fit your needs. Could you go a few days inside the coach and not feel like the walls are closing in if the weather is poor? Is there enough interior storage for your day to day needs?

Both the modern Ford and Workhorse chassis will tow up to 5K lbs without a problem as will a diesel powered coach. The diesel will bring additional amentias that will help make the coach more comfortable both at a CG or going down the road but at a bit higher initial cost for the diesel chassis. If your long range plans include a lot of road time a diesel might be better. Do a test drive in each before making a decision and don't let high fuel prices scare you. The true number is cost per mile and you only need a gain of about 2 MPG from a diesel to offset the pump price difference for gasoline.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
We travel from Florida mostly out West and have had no problem towing our 3700 pound toad over any of the high mountain passes with our gas powered coach. We very seldom take a "local" trip and most of our journeys are for several months and several thousand miles and the gas coach serves us well. I have owned several diesel and other gas powered coaches and always pick the coach that will serve us the best today. Through the years we have learned that we spend more time parked than we do driving. For that reason, the floor plan is the most important.
What you are asking about towing a 3700 pound toad over mountains is just a simple feat that any of the gas or diesel powered coaches can accomplish without any hassle at all. Find the floor plan that suits your needs and don't worry about the engine.