cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where did traditional oven go?

setraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We were looking at new RV's and somewhat shocked to find the tradition oven with cooktop burners seems to have vanished. Replacement is micro convection overs mounted high up at cabinet levels, and surface type burners that have no method of rails of such, slippery if not flat.

We inquired via major dealer in TX and advised "you can install oven after you buy unit (new). Now not my idea of paying large dollars then invest in major lay out one more time.

Reason for oven. wifes shoulders not the best, not thrilled about heavy hot objects high up when removing from over. I am not thrilled with that prospect myself. Surface burner units verse oven top burners are oven burners win every time, can even install safety rails to hold items if we want, same as on pleasure boats. So seems this is a cost cutting item as yet to find many folks who want to try to warm something while moving, not cook, just warm up. Know not usually done but simply not thrilled with overhead overs and removing or even trying to see how cooking going. Any others bothered by this?
50 REPLIES 50

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
frankdamp wrote:
Convection/micro would be fine if it was at the same "altitude" as the older style gas oven.As an earlier poster said, lifting hot food with liquid content down from the upper-level location that is typical of the micro/convection installation is hazardous - the more so for shorter people like DW (<5 ft).

Our '02 Georgetown had a gas oven/stove top. The original owners said it was the only one they could find with that feature when they bought it new. The oven did have an easy-to-reach pilot light.

the microwave in my TT is so low you almost have to get down on your knees to use it.
bumpy

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
You can still option one out with a LP cooktop or oven, as of 2015 anyway.
We don't use oven in the RV so we didn't miss it. But she had to have the cooktop.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have a gas oven (or burners either; no gas as all :-). Wife is 5' and does just fine baking/cooking/broiling in the convection microwave. Our sticks and bricks also has the convection microwave along with a convection oven. Nothing she can't cook in them and they don't heat up the bus as bad as the gas units, particularly since our range top is induction. If we had to have a gas oven, we'd take it out, install storage and be on our way. We also use a Breville toaster oven and between the three, she can have a whole meal going at the same time. As for height? That's what they make step stools for and we have two three steppers that fold very flat and are very wide (stable). We don't have any LP in the coach (I had to buy some tanks for our grill when we got this coach) and that is the way we like it now. Never again with the LP and gas stove/burner setup.
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Convection/micro would be fine if it was at the same "altitude" as the older style gas oven.As an earlier poster said, lifting hot food with liquid content down from the upper-level location that is typical of the micro/convection installation is hazardous - the more so for shorter people like DW (<5 ft).

Our '02 Georgetown had a gas oven/stove top. The original owners said it was the only one they could find with that feature when they bought it new. The oven did have an easy-to-reach pilot light.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
I love it because the Mfgs are telling us what we demand. We demand radar on a car to back up? Bull! I've been backing for over 55 years without a camera or a radar and it' GOALS for me.. Get out and look Stupid! Works well even in the dark IMHO. Now , we demand Convection Ovens. I don't even know what one is. I agree with Kayteg1.

In the case of the convection oven and no gas oven, I don't thing the manufacturers are "telling us what we demand."

For many years, the gas oven/stove/microwave was standard equipment and the convection oven was an option. As more and more people began to order the convection oven option, dealers began to stock that option and not the standard stove/oven.

These days, except in the entry level models, the convection oven/stovetop is the standard and a gas stove/oven is optional.

That's market forces working.

The same thing is happening with residential refrigerators. Prior to the late 2015 model of the Itasca Meridian (and Winnebago Journey) the residential refrigerator, along with the battery and inverter upgrade, was optional. Now, those features are standard. I asked about that, when we were at Forest City last summer. They said that in the Meridian/Journey models, less that 20% of dealer orders were for the absorption refrigerators.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

lostdog
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:
the gas oven is important to us. I wouldnt have one with out. Try to make a pizza in a convection micro wave

We make pizza in our convection oven all the time. Works great!
Chuck n Terri
2017 Heartland 3875FB
2016 Chevy 3500 Duramax
Rica, the old cat
Max E. Dog, the puppy dog
Kirby, the old dog, passed but not forgotten

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
hanko wrote:
the gas oven is important to us. I wouldnt have one with out. Try to make a pizza in a convection micro wave

?? Wife makes pizza ( a smaller on) in our convection oven ! It's fantastic! We use a pizza stone in our convention oven too
You do realize a convection gets hot just like a regular oven right ? Like 400 deg hot ! and the microwave part doesn't need to come on while baking . Is the word microwave confusing you? It's a convection AND microwave
Convection is a regular electric oven with a fan! it distributes the heat evenly with no hot spots She also makes delicious bread !
Are naysayers thinking the " microwave" part is doing the cooking ? It's not ! It can use the microwave part to boost the cooking but you certainly normally don't want to .
I was told most professional cooks prefer a electric oven for its " even "heat over gas's hot spots but I'm no cook , I just eat 🙂
Bill

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Oven is a must for us. We make homemade pizza and I couldn't image trying to bake the pizza on its stone in microwave/connection oven. We are looking at replacing our oven in the RV with residential style that fits the same opening. A little pricey, though.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why do you want rails on the cooktop? Surely you're not considering cooking while moving?

Consider a step or smaller lighter dishes. For bigger items like a pizza or turkey head to the store.

We have 3 full slide out drawers under the cooktop which provides a lot of space for cooking equipment storage and hence optional methods of cooking.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I love it because the Mfgs are telling us what we demand. We demand radar on a car to back up? Bull! I've been backing for over 55 years without a camera or a radar and it' GOALS for me.. Get out and look Stupid! Works well even in the dark IMHO. Now , we demand Convection Ovens. I don't even know what one is. I agree with Kayteg1.

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Sarah is an avid cook - maybe less so on the road.

While looking for our previous RV, I suggested that we look at some rigs with convection ovens and no gas ovens. "We can look, but there's no way I'll ever want an RV without a gas oven."

She did notice that the extra storage was nice. After talking to a good friend and a good cook that has switched to convection ovens at home, we bought an RV without a gas oven.

Our current coach doesn't have a gas oven either. "No need to go back to a gas oven," she said.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

infogeek
Explorer
Explorer
My coach has an oven. And to light it I'm supposed to stick my arm all the way in the back with a lighter?? Um, no. I use it as storage. When I need to bake something I use the convection oven. Yes, it's annoying because it is up high, and I am vertically challenged.

That said, heating something on the stovetop while driving seems a bit dangerous. If you had to stop suddenly, now there is a pan of hot food hurtling at you. At least if you're nuking it in the microwave it is contained in case of sudden braking.
Jon

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Notice the buggy whips are gone too... 🙂 🙂 🙂
Happy Trails 🙂
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843