cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where did traditional oven go?

setraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We were looking at new RV's and somewhat shocked to find the tradition oven with cooktop burners seems to have vanished. Replacement is micro convection overs mounted high up at cabinet levels, and surface type burners that have no method of rails of such, slippery if not flat.

We inquired via major dealer in TX and advised "you can install oven after you buy unit (new). Now not my idea of paying large dollars then invest in major lay out one more time.

Reason for oven. wifes shoulders not the best, not thrilled about heavy hot objects high up when removing from over. I am not thrilled with that prospect myself. Surface burner units verse oven top burners are oven burners win every time, can even install safety rails to hold items if we want, same as on pleasure boats. So seems this is a cost cutting item as yet to find many folks who want to try to warm something while moving, not cook, just warm up. Know not usually done but simply not thrilled with overhead overs and removing or even trying to see how cooking going. Any others bothered by this?
50 REPLIES 50

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
I would be happy with a microwave/convection oven if it was mounted below the counter-top where a gas stove is typically located. With family members less than 5' tall, getting hot cookware containing boiling liquids from high-level microwave/convection ovens is just too dangerous.

Had we kept our Georgetown, I was considering doing a reconfiguration of the kitchen to replace the conventional gas oven with a convection/microwave unit in the same place and putting storage where the microwave had been in the overhead. We quit the lifestyle and sold the rig instead.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
It went the same place as 8 tracks. the convection ovens are much quicker and more efficient.
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

fivejackie
Explorer
Explorer
The DH has to have her oven, she uses it all the time. Our last 3 MHs had ovens. I cook the steaks, hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill outside.
Don and Jackie
2115 Hurricane 27K
2113 Redhawk
1992 Pace Arrow

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP For your unique requirements - buy the rig you want new or used and change out the stove top for the combo unit. Have rails made and installed. Remove the MW are replace with a storage cabinet. Sell the stove top and MW.

OK perhaps you can't buy exactly what you want but it sounds like this will be a long term purchase so make it what you want.

I assume that you stop level enough for the refer or you don't use it.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
The manufacturers realized that most people used the oven very little and preferred the storage instead. We certainly fall into that category and don't miss it one iota.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
The traditional oven is still an option from several manufacturers. Most Winnebago products come with a cooktop and convection microwave oven. However the traditional gas stove with the oven is still available as an option.

As I recall the option was around $100.00 in our 2013 Adventurer. Neither my wife or I are 6' tall and the convection microwave is above a comfortable reach zone for hot heavy items. We use the microwave for small things, but prefer the oven for larger items. The last thing I want to do is wear my dinner. I'd rather eat it off the dinner table than the floor.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

setraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Note, previous unit was 32 ft. We used it on weekends and some longer vacations. I often used it on hunting and fishing trips and doing so,k ended up on roads that were not first rate, a few not even paved. There was also the issue of turnaround points, often far apart. We found smaller unit OK for most state parks with 32' rules. We never used it for semi perm parks for week or more. I would note that on many roads, when rig parked it was NOT level and did not attempt to use leveler as ground conditions did not favor getting them buried. Had generator, and well stocked on batteries as sometimes a bit in boonies.Had system wired so one battery was charged but never used. So yes the unit was tilted and when parked. Please no horror about "cooking when moving" as we often did it and when parked often not level, so things could slide and rails very handy, moving or not. Saftey was prime issue when on less then main roads. As said my wife has shoulder/arm issues and she cannot reach up or wants stand to look into cooking status. She does not use convection at home as feels it dries out food, meat more so to much.

Just two of us and two dogs, and we regret selling the 32, easy to maneuver in bush or town, easy to park and drive. Often carried extra foods in "basement", Pared down the inside drawers to what we actually needed, and made extensive use of solid trip planning. We started looking at new units a year of so back, then 32ft+/- popular but noted prices migrated into what was 40ft range not far back. Really did not want 40 as simply no real need for such. Put about 45K on old rig, but when we search for 32 now, not to much there to meet our needs since gas prices down. Plan to move back to PAC NW in year of so, would like to derive RV but with many dealers we feel treated as consumer, not customer. When mention oven and perhaps convection they really jacked us on prices and "Well this is way it comes blah blah", referring to floor models, since seem to push them rather then order as we want.

So will look about, not a must have, but we will either get rig that suits our needs or none at all. Kind of fed up on big price hikes, due to "standard hardware" in nearly cookie cutter choices. what is in fact more "options" then before, priced accordingly. We are pretty well informed buyers, not full timers. Noe we rarely "cooked outdoors as either swarms of bugs or to cold, nor watch TV and simply cannot understand why a electric fireplace in RV? But then that is just us and I remain less then thrilled about heavy hot food being so high up as in most models now days.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're just using it for weekends can you manage to get a countertop toaster oven or small countertop microwave and cook lightly those two days or BBQ outside without using a oven? Do you really need a oven for those short trips?

Or perhaps look at used RVs that have your oven.

For resale purposes, I wouldn't take out your convection oven and wouldn't install a gas oven but you may plan to keep the RV for many years so if that's the case, fix it how YOU want it. If you really want the regular oven, perhaps the manufacturer will work with you to install one. What mfg. are you considering?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
In my 2 coaches we had a gas oven and we used them maybe 2 times. If we were full timers it might have been different but we prefer the convection now. The people that bought my last coach were really happy to here that it had a oven.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
setraveler wrote:
Noted none mention flat top burners nor the fact the mew installs of oven is high and requires reaching up to get HOT food out of oven, rather a safety issue and to have to stand on something to do this, even worse. As said wife has bad arm/shoulder issue and would want her or I to try and remove hot items when going down road (motor home, not towed). It would seem that if paying $100-200K for home would not have to go to option. Simply not going to buy unit with this rig the way it is and to me, having looked at units, limply impossibl4 to see status of items cooking. We have both type ovens at home and convection WAS mounted high as in units, we cook in oven and found it not the greatest for comfort, safety, We are not fans of processed "instant warm up" type food, So oven at usable level, easy to inspect food and burners where we can install, when needed, rails to hold cooking times, as used on my sailboat galley, are also safety issue.
Seems this is just another way to cut costs and have seen units with electric ovens, burners like we want Sorry but as far as "new up to date state of art etc, at the price for new units I call the shots, and did find real oven/burners cost more. To me cooking on flat top burners if moving, to warm up something, is very dangerous.. Same with high up convection/micro if moving as CG a few feet higher can impact stuff in side it. I and wife do NOT want to reach up to retrieve hot items, parked or under way. I am referring to Class A units, not towed.

You can't be convinced I see that.
Please note though Few people heat items on a stove while moving down the highway it's REALLY not safe and the MH is not a boat so while " docked" ?? It isn't moving is it?
My DW 5'4" easily Puts in and takes and takes out items in the glass front oven that are at her eye level completely, safely. I'm sorry your wife has a arm disability that prevents that. . As far as the induction glass top range it's super efficient heats more quickly , evenly and with greater control of the temp . Have you ever used one?
No matter, if you don't want it .... you don't .. I get that Good luck in your search... fewer and fewer people are looking for high level MH equipped that way. They want modern home appliances
BTW These items aren't cost cutting ideas .. By the time you add the extra batteries wiring , better inverter , bigger generator etc they aren't cost savers they ARE what most customers demand
Bill

setraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Note and missed it in previous post. We could settle for Convection/micro if big enough, BUT THE LOCATION is a horror in most units. Simply do not want a over way up high, and when we mentioned that to dealers, they look horrified. We heard but it saved drawer space etc. and when we mentione4 it is to high to use safely for us, hot food up high and no way to use flattop stove to heat/warm up when under way, as it can slide off, even will if stopped briefly on slight angle, they told us well use leveler etc. And not safety rails from marine world are nice if moving and using burners.

But the location of units way up there is our main gripe, will NOT use stand etc to reach hot items and drawer space not that demanding vse safety of hot stuff handling. We would use only for weekends and maybe one to two week trips max. Or previous unit had oven at normal level and used it alot, and burners where they are handy and safe to use. I suspect this is a cost cutting item, more so on location.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, WELCOME to the forum. You'll be in good company here. You seem to be just like many of us. We too ordered our motorhome just the way we like it.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

setraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Noted none mention flat top burners nor the fact the mew installs of oven is high and requires reaching up to get HOT food out of oven, rather a safety issue and to have to stand on something to do this, even worse. As said wife has bad arm/shoulder issue and would want her or I to try and remove hot items when going down road (motor home, not towed). It would seem that if paying $100-200K for home would not have to go to option. Simply not going to buy unit with this rig the way it is and to me, having looked at units, limply impossibl4 to see status of items cooking. We have both type ovens at home and convection WAS mounted high as in units, we cook in oven and found it not the greatest for comfort, safety, We are not fans of processed "instant warm up" type food, So oven at usable level, easy to inspect food and burners where we can install, when needed, rails to hold cooking times, as used on my sailboat galley, are also safety issue.
Seems this is just another way to cut costs and have seen units with electric ovens, burners like we want Sorry but as far as "new up to date state of art etc, at the price for new units I call the shots, and did find real oven/burners cost more. To me cooking on flat top burners if moving, to warm up something, is very dangerous.. Same with high up convection/micro if moving as CG a few feet higher can impact stuff in side it. I and wife do NOT want to reach up to retrieve hot items, parked or under way. I am referring to Class A units, not towed.

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a new 2016 Winnebago Sightseer. We looked at a lot of coaches before we made our decision about the new coach we like. After deciding on the make and model we got a pick sheet with all available options.

One option was an oven or a stack of drawers. I asked my wife many times what her preference was. She said that she needed storage space so we opted for the drawers.

If you find a make and model that you like see if you can order one with your preferences from the factory. I sent copies of my pick sheet to a number of local dealers and one that was known nationwide. A few dealers were willing to give prices and I would share the lowest price without disclosing the dealership. We went through a number of bidding cycles till I was ready to make a deal. It is easier to compare bids when they are all pricing the exact same RV. And we did not spend one minute in a showroom negotiating prices with a salesman.

A downside is that it took a little more than three months for Winnebago to build and deliver our new coach.

Safe travels. JD
2016 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on a 2016 Ford F53 Chassis
2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy