cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do you fill up

dmctlc
Explorer
Explorer
Well it seems that not a day goes since I brought my MH that I don't think of new questions to ask about motorhome travel. Here's another and again want to thank you all for you inputs, ahead of time. So question is where do most of you fill up you tank. Mine is 80 gals and unless I'm traveling I won't fill it up. I have a Sam's down the street but not sure if Sam's and other places might prohibit filling up a Motorhome or might have a max amount you can spend which in turn limits how much you can fill it. I'm sure truck stops would be the choice among most but not sure where any around where I live in Tyngsboro MA on the NH border they are and are there some I should stay away from because they have poor quality fuel. I know once I get my GPS hopefully today that will help but nothing bets inputs from all you that have lived it. Thanks Again...
Dana & wife Terri
Daughter - Stephanie
Granddaughter - Callie (9 y/o)
Son - Phillip
Granddaughter - Charlotte (1 1/2 y/o)
American Cocker Spaniel- Shadow
2018 Georgetown Series 5 GT5 31L5
25 REPLIES 25

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the pump stops at say $75.00, all you need to do is put pump nozzle back, print your receipt and start a new transaction. It will go until you stop it or another $75. You can also go inside and pre-pay for say $150.00 of gas and if you are full at $120.00, the credit is immediately returned to your card (if it's a debit card I know for sure). We have done this many times and if I look at the account 5 minutes later that credit has been redeposited already.

We use gas buddy and fill and most regular gas stations. We are 36' pulling a trailer with motorcycles, so about 45' total and have no problem finding stations we can use. We use google earth and take a look when we find the cheaper gas price (on our route) to make sure we can fit first.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
GasBuddy is my friend... it probably saved me $300 on 1000 gallons of fuel last summer. Since the OP has a gas rig... any place that is 25 cents less than Pilot/FlyJ.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Not filling up may lead to condensation in the tank. Water in fuel is not good.

If I'm going to be storing the RV (mine is gas) I do the last two fill ups with premium. Where I live premium has no ethanol in it.

If I am traveling the last item of the day is to fill the tank. That way I can pull up stakes and get down the road in a timely manner. I often stop for breakfast after the first hour. I try to take short breaks on an hourly basis.

dmctlc wrote:
Mine is 80 gals and unless I'm traveling I won't fill it up.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach is diesel and I like to use Independent truck stops when possible. I avoid the big name truck stops. Look here for Independent truck stops
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always use and recommend Sam's for diesel as they're usually 20 cents cheaper. I always stay away from the truck stops as they're way to expensive.

Last month we drove our 40 ft DP, with toad, from Phoenix to the east coast mostly on highway 10. Loves was always 25 to 35 cents per gal more expenzive. When you're taking 100 gal or fill up that begins to add up - sort of a free dinner each night.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I usually seek out Sams or Costco as they usually have the lowest price. As noted, anywhere, you may have to do two transactions to fill the tank. Generally, I just try to find a station with easy access.

I also try to look at Google maps satellite view ahead of time to see the layout of the gas station.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
dmctlc wrote:
Well it seems that not a day goes since I brought my MH that I don't think of new questions to ask about motorhome travel. Here's another and again want to thank you all for you inputs, ahead of time. So question is where do most of you fill up you tank. Mine is 80 gals and unless I'm traveling I won't fill it up. I have a Sam's down the street but not sure if Sam's and other places might prohibit filling up a Motorhome or might have a max amount you can spend which in turn limits how much you can fill it. I'm sure truck stops would be the choice among most but not sure where any around where I live in Tyngsboro MA on the NH border they are and are there some I should stay away from because they have poor quality fuel. I know once I get my GPS hopefully today that will help but nothing bets inputs from all you that have lived it. Thanks Again...

at home i generally will fill up at Cosco. on the road we generally fill at the Flying J truckstops. most J's have separate RV lanes but f we need fuel and no J or other t-stops around we'll seek out a station with pumps parallel to the building or one that has a set of pumps adjacent to a side entrance making for an easy pull out.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"where do most of you fill up you tank"

At fuel stations that are busy...selling lots of diesel and gasoline.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I also buy gas wherever I am when I need gas. Don't pull in unless you see a way out if you have a toad. I sometimes swipe the same card twice to fill up.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
There are two limitations about which you asked (1) will if fit in the space allotted; and (2) will they sell me the amount I need?

The answer to the first one should be obvious when you get there, and only you can judge. The second is much more complex. On the one hand, I've never met a merchant unwilling to take as much of your money as you are willing to leave behind. At the same time, whether you can buy as much as you need depends slightly on how you are paying for it. Cash shouldn't be much of a problem as long as your wheelbarrow will hold it all. Credit cards, on the other hand, are another matter.

There are some times when you go to fill up and find that your credit card will only work for a set amount, usually $75, but could be anything, and unrelated to how much credit remains on your card. Do be aware that this amount is set by the CC company, and only for locations where there has been significant fraud in the past. The store has no control over this. It's one reason I have several credit cards so that if one chokes, surely another will work. I have had times when I had to use two cards in order to get the total amount needed. It's annoying, but I can't blame the CC company from wanting to limit their exposure.

Do be aware that there are enough rigs with large tanks running around that both issues are quite solvable.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
As I am traveling cross country, and my level gets down below 1/2 tank (75 gallons), I start looking for gas stations that i\I can fit in to with my toad and get out of. I have filled up at small gas stations, 7/11 stores, truck stops, and basically any place that offers easy in and out. I don't get hung up on one particular place for fuel and instead base my choice on convenience and accessibility. If I need fuel, I will not pass up any place that offers me access.