cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where to put it all, bikes, toad, etc etc...

oldschoolhdmike
Explorer
Explorer
We have just swapped from a 5th wheel to a class c. I am currently looking for a TOAD. I am either going to go with a toyota pruis with a dolly, or a CRV, but still may dolly tow. The stuff you have to add to a crv to tow 4 down can get really pricey, and with a dolly at least i have the option to take another car if needed. My issue is this, Where in the world do i put my 4 bikes. I have a 4 bike rack that goes in my hitch. It can be a 2 bike but it also goes to 4. holds the bikes at the bottom of the tire, not by the frame....Do you guys think on of those hitch receiver risers would do the trick? If i did a crv i could put the bike rack possibly on the bike of it. I know for a fact the pruis will not handle 4 bikes. I have also seen bike racks that go in front of the truck, in my case would be the e450. so i guess i could do 2 on front, and two on back...but i am trying to simplify this if anyway possible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-17-x9-Hitch-Extension-2-Receiver-Extender-5-8-Pin-Hole-4000-LBS-Capacity/311558241640?epid=18005263776&hash=item488a517d68%3Ag%3ABVEAAOSwLN5Wlc1x&_sacat=0&_nkw=receiver+hitch+extension&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R8.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xreceiver+hitch.TRS0.TSS0
8 REPLIES 8

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I once saw a very big motorhome pulling a trailer that looked like a car hauler semi-trailer. the guy would hook the trailer to the motorhome, back his Ski-Nautic boat onto the trailer, raise the boat up, drive his harley onto the front of the trailer, and then drive his Trail Blazer on. the trailer was triple axle. Talk about taking it all with you. I wish I had a camera with me that day, better yet would have been video.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't forget ATV's . Some people need to bring everything they own . I saw an added lift system where a motorboat was also along for the vacation. I heard they are working on one for those aviators as well. Honey, we can bring the plane ! :B

Tandem tow dolly

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen dollies advertised that you could put a motor cycle on the dolly ahead of the car.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
I use a hitch extension and Reese dual hitch, bike rack goes in top with 4 bikes. Tow a 2014 Explorer 4 down. Also make sure and use the hitch anti-rattle device, i used these https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Anti-Rattle/Roadmaster/RM-061.html . Three years and thousands of miles, no issues.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
oldschoolhdmike wrote:
i am not carrying bikes on the ladder. that is just asking for trouble if you ask me. those ladders in most cases are in there with 3/4 screws and can hold a static weight but the weight of bikes bouncing i can see just causing issues

Actually I am glad you mentioned that. Glad to hear someone thinking about safety on public highways. Carrying anything, we all must be careful. Cheap or old rusted bike racks aren't much better attached to a rusted receiver.
I agree, if not comfortable doing it, don't do it. If you modify anything on a motor vehicle operated on public highway, its your responsibility to make sure it's safe. Not only civilly but criminally as well. A worker's poorly secured ladder came off his trucks ladder rack on a Georgia highway causing a death to a following motorist and the truck driver was locked up for a felony, Criminal Negligent Homicide.

Some ladders won't allow a bird to perch :E. Some TT's that came into the shop had some issues with ladders but it was because they had rusted screws from water intrusion. If you pull out a screw and see rust, that's not a good sign. A TT bouncing, due to not having shocks, did cause some weak ladder issues.
It seems like people carrying on MH's and TC's have better results. I carried on my TC's ladders for 80,000 miles but I always maintained things and constantly checked how solid it was performing. We should all get in the habit of doing at least a visual check of our rigs every time we fuel up.

oldschoolhdmike
Explorer
Explorer
i am not carrying bikes on the ladder. that is just asking for trouble if you ask me. those ladders in most cases are in there with 3/4 screws and can hold a static weight but the weight of bikes bouncing i can see just causing issues

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
When using a dolly make sure you will have enough room so the car can pivot w/o hitting the bikes, however you plan to carry them.

Do u have a rear ladder, then use a ladder mounted bike rack for 2 of them and a hitch rack on the car for the other 2.

Another option is to install a front mounted 2x2 hitch and carry 2 or 4 bikes on the front of the MH. Truck camper owners do it that way.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23978409/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

swag xcs bike rack and tow ball

Roadmaster also makes a bike rack to fit the MH hitch and also tow the toad.

Dual hitch CURT makes one as well .

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
That will work if you have the clearance, roof rack would help.