cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who makes Cruise America 19' class C?

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
Who makes the Cruise America 19' class C?

I saw one on the road today and thought it looked like an interesting option for someone looking for a very small C.

http://www.cruiseamerica.com/rent/our_vehicles/compact_rv.aspx
16 REPLIES 16

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
I wonder what the width of that little Class C is?

From the photo, it looks like it's the "widebody" Class C width. i.e. Around 100-102 inches wide.

Although it's length at first looks great for getting into some of the little tiny and beautiful tent campsites in some of our National/State Parks, if it's a widebody there still could be some white-knuckle parking situations.

Specs say 7 1/2'. link
F1BNorm

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder what the width of that little Class C is?

From the photo, it looks like it's the "widebody" Class C width. i.e. Around 100-102 inches wide.

Although it's length at first looks great for getting into some of the little tiny and beautiful tent campsites in some of our National/State Parks, if it's a widebody there still could be some white-knuckle parking situations.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
A year back, I threw the idea over to Phoenix USA to build exactly what they build today, but offer an "optional" seamless bunk cab-over similar to the one used in that tiny 19' Cruise America unit. It seems ideal to accommodate families, much more friendly than a couch conversion bed when exceeding two people. It would be ideal for their smallest model 2100 which is a tad longer than the 19' Cruise America, with improved functionality & comfort.
Oh well.

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
SkiMore wrote:
I think it is interesting that CruiseAmerica rents a model unlike anything for sale. You would think that if CruiseAmerica thought it was a good idea to put in their fleet some manufacturer would also think it is worth selling. As someone said it looked nimble. I haven't been inside one yet.

European tourists like it because of its size. They are used to narrow streets and smaller vehicles and find larger class C's to be moderately intimidating. You will usually find the 19 for rent near large international airports. Otherwise, there is not much demand for it outside of major metropolitan areas. The elderly do not care for it because it involves a climb into the upper bunk to sleep. I wouldn't personally own one because I am not a fan of the shower/toilet combination. I like having the shower and the toilet at least reasonably separate. Otherwise, it is a pretty neat, compact design that you can take a lot of places where it is not practical to drive a larger C.

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is interesting that CruiseAmerica rents a model unlike anything for sale. You would think that if CruiseAmerica thought it was a good idea to put in their fleet some manufacturer would also think it is worth selling. As someone said it looked nimble. I haven't been inside one yet.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lately C-A has been having custom models made by what used to be the FourWinds company in the Thor group, now part of Thor Motorcoach. But they've worked with other suppliers in the past, so the current relationship may not be exclusive.

Often special rental models will have similar floorplans to a retail model, but will differ in detail. Sometimes the rental models will be exclusive to a particular customer, especially for C--A, and there will be no retail equivalent.

When you find the ex-rental for sale, it will usually be identified as to manufacturer, e.g. FourWinds Majestic for ex-C-A built by FourWinds, Coachmen Pathfinder or Roadmaster for ex-rental built by Coachmen. Winnebago rental models are usually identified by brand when you rent, and many rental companies buy the Chalet rental model rather than a retail model, but those also get used for rental when an early turnover is part of the business plan.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
my mom has a 23B... a 2007. great unit. Tons of cabinet and storage space... solid unit
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We saw one of them being rented in Canyonlands NP. I think they are quite a nimble rig for two people going for a few weeks at a time, as long as one of them are not too tall for the front position of the over-head bunk.

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Four winds builds them to CA's spec which is much more robust than a consumer grade unit. You cannot buy these new retail but you can purchase a used 19 once it is retired and refurbished.

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
While it's from about 4-5 years ago, here's one rental 19' C that I saw at the Grand Canyon. It's on an E350 SRW chassis.

Jim, "It's bad luck to be superstitious."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
path1: I haven't seen very many class Cs shorter than 21'. It looked like an interesting setup for someone that can't decide between a class C and class B.

OldRadios: Thanks for the info. I haven't seen the inside of this model yet. I was wondering about the cab over bed. It looked pretty small in the pictures.

bob and donna wrote:
this is our 20ft MVP queen bed over cab. can't get the pic on here but if you click the profile it has a pic of the Rv.

Is this your model? 2012 MVP Tahoe RVs 190 RBS
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2012-MVP-Tahoe-RVs-190-RBS-111903423

I like your layout a lot, but the cruise america one is different. It has a rear kitchen and no slide. How do you like using the cab over bed as your main sleeping area?

bob_and_donna
Explorer
Explorer
this is our 20ft MVP queen bed over cab. can't get the pic on here but if you click the profile it has a pic of the Rv.
2012 MVP Thaho 19 RBS

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
You got me curious as well on that model. I don't see any Thor model, nor Coachmen with this type of floor plan.

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Dup. Post
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York