cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

windshield replaced

pee-paw
Explorer
Explorer
Just had Safelite replace my windshield and they said no need to use silicone. Anyone ever heard of this?
2009 Bounder 35H
2011 CRV Toad
10 REPLIES 10

elcheapo
Explorer
Explorer
Just had my windshield replaced on my 2016 E-450. Was told that because it has airbags the windshield has to be cemented in and they used black windshield sealant. I assume it is cemented so that when the air bag goes off, it does not blow out the windshield.
2016 Jayco Redhawk 29XK

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Silicone has no place in/on an RV
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I will add that it depends on how the coach was originally designed for windshield installation.
My rig has a rubber single part rubber gasket or seal that fits around the two peice windshield then other side goes around the fiberglass nose. No sealant is used. When installing the gasket/seal is moistened with soap water for installation.
I have seen later coaches that have the windshield installed using the urethane sealer in leiu of the gasket/seal.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
That is correct! The windshield is sealed and held in place by the "rubber" seal.

My Glass installer called that a "Gasket" and they glued every thing in place with a urethane 2 part sealer.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Silicon has never been used on Windshields. Not for the main seal that holds the glass in.

Today they use a quick curing 2 part polyurethane.

The closest 1-part material we can buy for DIY is 3M 08693 Auto Glass Urethane.

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
COACH GLASS RV Glass Experts in Phoenix replaced mine. No silicone sealant used, just gasket is my understanding. DOES NOT LEAK SO FAR.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
That is correct! The windshield is sealed and held in place by the "rubber" seal.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

pee-paw
Explorer
Explorer
just the rubber parts
2009 Bounder 35H
2011 CRV Toad

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Silicone is terrible to use on a windshield as it will eventually leak and is horrible to remove if the windshield needs to be replaced again.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

fishingbob61
Explorer
Explorer
What did they seal it with?
Bob and Sue
51 years camping
2005 Fleetwood Bounder DP
2004 Chevy. Tahoe