cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windshield sun screen

vector
Explorer
Explorer
The motorhome windshield sun screen was almost ten years old and falling apart. The other three screens in the set were in good serviceable condition so just a new one for the windshield was really needed. Shops in Yuma and Tucson were unwilling to make a replacement for what I considered a reasonable cost, so I decided to make one here in the garage. I bought ten feet of black SunTex fabric that was five feet wide from a local solar screen maker. This product is available tfrom Home Depot, but you have to buy at least a 25' roll, which is more than twice as much as I needed. The #90 fabric is denser and blocks more sun than the #80. Other colors are available besides basic black. Black woven vinyl hanger strap material (Home Depot SKU#439005, 1.75in wide x 100yd long)) was used to wrap the cut edges of the screen. The webbing held a lengthwise crease and provided ample overlap on both sides of the fabric. Using the old screen as a template, the new material was marked and cut slightly oversize to allow for shrinkage of the old one. The DW loaded her sewing machine (pretty much a standard Brother) with stout nylon upholstery thread and the edging was then sewn on. Short segments of the webbing were folded over and attached to where the snaps would be fastened. The screen was hoisted into position and the location of each snap was marked. A hole was poked through the reinforcing strip with an awl and each โ€œbuttonโ€ was fitted and hammered into place using a snap setting tool. It's best to use a marine grade stainless steel snap. The new screen will cost about sixty dollars (I have maybe 250' of the woven ribbon left over) and a few hours, including the time spent over-thinking the project. Check out the links to the photos. The new windshield screen looks pretty good if I must say so myself!

2001 GB Pursuit 3512DS
Ford F53 V-10
Banks Powerpack
Trans Command
2002 Honda CR-V AWD
3 REPLIES 3

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did the same thing for my coach but I used magnetics to hold to the windshield. Made a screen to hang from the awning with the extra material.

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job. Thanks for sharing. :C

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
It looks good vector, you did a bang up job on it.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity