cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Class C terminology

niets70
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to purchase a Class C, but I want one that does not have a cab-over extension. I have seen only a few like this.
Can anyone tell me the proper terminology for these models, as when I search the different sites, I don't want to see the cab-over models.
Thanks!

{edited - sorry!}
18 REPLIES 18

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
+1 there. I've looked at a few B+ models, and even though they tend to be more expensive (and often on the Sprinter chassis), having the cabover for storage space is hard to beat.

Some class C models can come sans bed, but with an entertainment center, and behind that, a lot of storage space (only 300-500 pounds weight limit, so it isn't a place to toss too much stuff, but is ideal for bedding and other light, bulky items.

I prefer a class "C" over a B+, for this reason. Storage is precious on a motorhome, especially a smaller one, so even though it might lose a MPG due to the less streamlined front, having the cabover space is worth it.

One idea I have seen someone do, (which is very similar to Jim Shoe's implementation) is pulling out the mattress, cutting Dri-Dek to fit (it would be held in by the lip that keeps the mattress in place), then storing light items in plastic tubs, with the webbing that was designed to keep wee ones from falling off used to keep the tubs in place. The Dri-Dek is used because it gives space for air to circulate underneath (hopefully helping mitigate moisture buildup), the plastic tubs would provide a good place to stash things that are needed, but are not often accessed.

With this setup, I definitely know where my emergency dry goods will wind up. Since Texas has ice storms, having a place to stash a week's worth of self-heating MREs is important, since those won't be accessed often, but when the need arises, it will be crucial to get at them.

brucec315
Explorer
Explorer
I own a Navion iQG which is the Itaska version of the Winnebago View Profile. I do believe that there is no such thing as a B+. These are C Class without a bed over. I previously owned a B (Gulfstream Vista Cruiser) and spent quite a bit of time on the RV.Net B site. Mr. Roadtrek and others clarified this confusion back then.

If you are looking for a two person C Class I highly recommend the View Profile or Navion iQG which are both made by Winnebago.. Rumor has it the Winnebago will fade out the Navion and other Itaska models and just sell Winnebago labeled RVs.

Old_Crows
Explorer
Explorer
niets70 wrote:
I am looking to purchase a Class C, but I want one that does not have a cab-over extension. I have seen only a few like this.
Can anyone tell me the proper terminology for these models, as when I search the different sites, I don't want to see the cab-over models.
Thanks!

{edited - sorry!}

Winnebago View Profile. Itasca Navion. Winnebago has about 5-7 models of Class C, no over cab nose, models in different sizes.
Old Crows

2014 View Profile
2010 Four Winds Ventura
2005 Trail-Lite C-17 Hybrid TT

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
My 'C' is standard with the cabover bed. But I'm a single RVer and have a short queen bed in the rear. So I removed the so called mattress in the cabover and stored it at home. Then I lined the bare wood with a couple of rolls of the sticky stuff. I found some plastic bins with lids and filled them with spare things like extra blankets and sheets, paper towels, toilet paper, a bag for dirty clothes, some canned goods, Extra coffee, etc. In short, things I need on occasion but not every day.
So far, everything has stayed put.

I did the same except I put a carpet in it and made a low fence around it. Makes a great storage area.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Winnebago Aspect or the Itasca Cambria.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
My 'C' is standard with the cabover bed. But I'm a single RVer and have a short queen bed in the rear. So I removed the so called mattress in the cabover and stored it at home. Then I lined the bare wood with a couple of rolls of the sticky stuff. I found some plastic bins with lids and filled them with spare things like extra blankets and sheets, paper towels, toilet paper, a bag for dirty clothes, some canned goods, Extra coffee, etc. In short, things I need on occasion but not every day.
So far, everything has stayed put.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Class A motorhomes generally don't have a cabover overhang. I have always liked Class C overhang for the shade it affords. Class C's have somewhat better crash protection than Class A's. We don't use the overhead bed due to arthritis problems but they are useful for kids or occasional guests.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a small Class C (cabover bed) and wanted a C with "bed down." Certainly as a couple we didn't need a cabover bed along with the rear queen walkaround, the dinette bed and the jacknife sofa bed. BUT we wanted more storage than we'd had before and found that the (so-called) B+ is lower and narrower than the "full" Class C. Lower and narrower would have been fine but to get some storage we went to the "full" C with raised house floor which makes the coach taller, and "wide body" design which makes the coach 101" wide vs. the 96" that Class C used to be and many B+ now are.

"Super C" is another marketing label...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link that will show you all the different type Class C profiles regarding the cab over. Albiet just one manufacturer but all manufactures will have one similar to the style in their lines.

1. Click 'shop new motor homes' till it opens new page.
2. Then scroll down to Class C
All the pics will be there and what they are called so you can see them all together.
https://thormotorcoach.com/Motorhomes/

Is this the type you are looking for? Thor has them in the reg Class C and on the Sprinter Chassie

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I think that the venders call them whatever they think will sell the best. Usually C refers to units with a front overhang with a bed or not. C-, B+ and B seem to be what ever the seller wants to call them.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
B = Van turned into an RV inside the van.

C = Cab (cockpit area) with frame sent to RV maker who then adds a box to the back that is turned into an RV.

B+ does not technically exist but refers to something in between the two. It's usually a cab and chassis (Class C) with no over-cab bed and a bigger box on the back than just the van shell. B+ is a "tweener"

So, figure out which one you want and search these. The problem is that whoever posts the ad may not know which is which and may improperly classify it in the first place. Not all sale sites have a B+ category.
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

Moved from Forum Technical Support

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are looking for a true Class C with a small cab-over,aerodynamic body there is the Leisure Van

If you want a RV with no cab-over then you would want a Class B such as a Roadtrek

Hope that this will help with the correct and proper terminology when looking to purchase that RV.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
There are quite a few like Bondo's Concord. Winnie makes some and I think Fleetwood too.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II